Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
murdoko

Re: XQUSIS: Tristan's Mark II JZX110 IR-V

Post by murdoko »

ummm also, yet to test it once i get the driveshaft lengthened

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

What do you mean by 'crisp'? They're a bit of a clunky box yeah. Strong, but a little noisy and a bit rough to shift. Best described as 'agricultural'... they are a truck box after all :lol:

Twin plates do make noises usually at idle and low rpm accel/decel... kinda a rattling noise, totally normal.
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

PSIBRG wrote:What do you mean by 'crisp'? They're a bit of a clunky box yeah. Strong, but a little noisy and a bit rough to shift. Best described as 'agricultural'... they are a truck box after all :lol:

Twin plates do make noises usually at idle and low rpm accel/decel... kinda a rattling noise, totally normal.
I was going to say the same thing.. If the box is crisp and smooth it must not be a R154 ha ha!

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

Tofu wrote:
PSIBRG wrote:What do you mean by 'crisp'? They're a bit of a clunky box yeah. Strong, but a little noisy and a bit rough to shift. Best described as 'agricultural'... they are a truck box after all :lol:

I was going to say the same thing.. If the box is crisp and smooth it must not be a R154 ha ha!
Was gonna say the same thing ! :D :D :D
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

what i meant was a bit hard to shift... haha

anyhow, yeah it's making these weird noise only when it's under load... mainly first to 4th gear. kinda like a crackling / rubbing / rattling noise..

I fear it might be the input shaft bearing or hopefully not some other bearing inside the box... :(

I'll go get the shaft lengthened properly first and see what happens. I'd happily bring it to you guys if anyone's keen to diagnose it or something... lol

what do you guys think?

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Oh yup. Bit hard to shift is normal. What kinda oil did you put in it?

[youtube_video_id]9ZoXBnt_n3w[/youtube_video_id]

^That's what a twin plate sounds like. Most are nowhere near this bad, but you get the point. But yeah, kinda sounds like you're describing bearing noise? Is it a rattle like above or more of a constant crackling hum? Have you installed your interior shift boot thing and bolted it down on the 4 corners? It's amazing how much gearbox noise that thing blocks out.
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

Yeah will check the vid out later coz I'm at work... (no youtube)

Yeah the sound seems to be isolated at the range of 1.8-2.5k rpm with peak at 2.2K RPM... another thing that I need to look at is it could be the heat shield hitting the tranny if theres such a thing... (got this from the lexus forums)..

gtivvl

Post by gtivvl »

Should have been baller and forked out for a v160 if u wanted slick shifts

WATDA

Post by WATDA »

Good stuff man :) Brendan do the conversion?
Box should be a firm shift, not as nice as my old s15 box.
Enjoy that extra pedal and response!

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

PSIBRG wrote:Oh yup. Bit hard to shift is normal. What kinda oil did you put in it?

[youtube_video_id]9ZoXBnt_n3w[/youtube_video_id]

^That's what a twin plate sounds like. Most are nowhere near this bad, but you get the point. But yeah, kinda sounds like you're describing bearing noise? Is it a rattle like above or more of a constant crackling hum? Have you installed your interior shift boot thing and bolted it down on the 4 corners? It's amazing how much gearbox noise that thing blocks out.
I used redline MT90..

the noise is only on lower RPMs but dissappears after around 2.5k ish rpm and only when its under load. yeah it kinda sounds like the the one in the vid during the middle part where he stepped on the gas and it started rattling.

Yet to bolt the shift boot thing. I will need to bring it to a fabricator.
WATDA wrote:Good stuff man :) Brendan do the conversion?
Box should be a firm shift, not as nice as my old s15 box.
Enjoy that extra pedal and response!
Cheers man. nah, DKM Fabrication did it. it's a bit half baked to be honest... i'm not impressed.