New Shoes: Falken FK452 or Bridgestone Adrenaline RE002

General discussion

Moderator: PowderJZX

murdoko

New Shoes: Falken FK452 or Bridgestone Adrenaline RE002

Post by murdoko »

Anyone used the FK452s before? Can anyone comment on wet and dry performance, wear rate, comfort, etc?

Looking at replacing my sucky Triangles... and the Falken FK452 seems to be a good set for the price. However, I do have an option to go to slightly more expensive tyres: BS Potenza RE002 which was newly released a few months back.

I got quoted $250ea a tyre fitted balanced and aligned for the FK452 and $315 for the RE002. (235/40/18)

Also, i noticed that the RE002s are made in Indonesia, not in Japan... for obvious reasons. will this make a difference?

Long story short, which one will you choose if you were to buy the whole set?

FLAWLES

Re: New Shoes: Falken FK452 or Bridgestone Adrenaline RE002

Post by FLAWLES »

go falken FK452

i am running re002 ( and re001 ) and do not rate them, after going from toyo T1rs to these, they are crappy in the wet, how ever tho the re001/2 do have semi good dry weather grip ( yet to track them so cant comment on that ) also fyi i find the side wall strength rather weak in the corners compared to other tyres

i would go back to t1rs at a heart beat, but i will last these re001/2's out

my 2 cents
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

Alex

Post by Alex »

FK452....
all day everyday. super stiff sidewalls..
AWESOME wet grip.
cant beat them for all round comfort grip and performance.

archon

Post by archon »

As a street/sport tyre I love my RE001s, very precise and (for my needs) tons of grip in wet and dry. I do a few New Plymouth to Gisborne trips per year (1200km round trip and more touge style roads 35/45/55/65 corners than you can shake a stick at) and I hate slowing down for corners. I've entered a few corners a bit too fast and found I can crank in a bit more lock and the tyres just keep biting.

The non directional pattern should be quieter and for me is a plus as I run staggered 225/235 set up and tend to wear one side more than the other - yes with an LSD - so I can switch sides to even it out. Only downside is the wear. They have a rating of 220 but I chewed through 1mm on the front tyres on one of the 1200km trips (fresh wheel alignment and carrying the missus and baby). And the 001s have 8.0mm tread new while RE002s only have 7.6mm so you have less to start with. I'm forecasting 12k out of the fronts and may 16ks out of the rears if I'm lucky.

Pricewise I paid 280 for my RE001s (225/40/18 & 235/40/18) and the same guys quoted me 285 for the RE002, 315 is full retail I believe.

I've never tried the FK452s but have had the T1Rs on my JZZ30, great tyre too. FLAWLES: how does the noise/comfort compare between T1R and RE001/2? I can't compare as the Soarer seemed a hell of a lot quieter inside (apart from the 3" straight through exhaust haha).

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

yeah from what I've read, you can't really fault FK452s. of course every tyre has their pros and cons but the FK452 seems too good for the money.

re the RE002, all the reviews are saying it's a step above the RE001 so it's good to hear there's actually something bad about it.

looking at running a staggered fitment too (225/40/18 f 235/40/18 r) or should I go 245? :)

anyhow, I'm pretty sold with the Falkens as Chad from JP Tyres (Glenfield) is giving me a really good deal so might get them changed tomorrow. Oh yeah pretty excited as it is definitely a few steps above the shitty Triangles.

btw, anyone after 4x almost new Triangles? i don't think so. haha might sell them on trademe.

nite b

Post by nite b »

No tires on your rims would be an upgrade from Triangles!! Haha, seriously though Ive always used Re001s & Re011s, awesome tire with consistency on the track with heat cycling. Feel bit soft on the sides, but grip is awesome. The Falkens sound good though- will be night & day from your old ones. Good stuff!
Brendan,

Convert Ltd/Niteparts NZ

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

I run Falken ZEIX ZE912's up front on my JZX. Bit cheaper than the FK452's and an awesome tire for the money. Stick to the road like shit to a blanket in the dry, reasonably grippy in the wet, responsive, quiet, stretch nicely. Bought some second hand ages ago and liked them so much that I just bought a pair of brand new ones a few months ago when the old ones failed a WOF. Think I paid $230 fitted and balanced. Owned a few other brands of performance tires in the past (Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's, Toyo T1R's, Hankook R-S2's) and i'd rate the ZE912's up there with them. If I were really picky i'd say they could be a little bit better in the wet.

Of all the tires i've run on my cars the R-S2's have been my favs. Was recommended them by someone who runs them as street tires on his 10 second Evo. But last I heard they're no longer in production :(
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

hmmm I got quoted $250 fitted balanced aligned for 225/40/18 and 235/40/18 for FK452 plus free alignment if I get the whole set which adds up to $1k all in. Don't know if anyone can get a better deal than this coz i think that's damn cheap and I've done my browsing and all.

Booked it in this Saturday. I will let you know how it goes. 8-)

Alex

Post by Alex »

bro.. you wont know yourself after triangles! hahahahaha
i had gt radial champiros on my last car and changed to fk452's and was blown away with how superior they were!

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

archon wrote:
I've never tried the FK452s but have had the T1Rs on my JZZ30, great tyre too. FLAWLES: how does the noise/comfort compare between T1R and RE001/2? I can't compare as the Soarer seemed a hell of a lot quieter inside (apart from the 3" straight through exhaust haha).
at first i thought the t1rs where alot quieter than the re001/2s intill we headed over to our batch, and the wife said the car had alot less road noise, and comfort right up there, there are ( imo ) a good sport tourer tyre but still not up to the standards of the T1r,

just another note i also find the re001/2 a bit sqishy in the side wall? does anyone else have this issue? half the reason maybe my tyre pressures and im running nitrogen in the back two tyres ( anyone think this is a gimmik? )

but $250 fitted is good going man wouldnt be dutching/jewing over those prices
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut