Selling My JZX100 For Something Else

General discussion

Moderator: PowderJZX

Jayzedex100

Selling My JZX100 For Something Else

Post by Jayzedex100 »

I've grown bored of my Chaser, and have also become too frustrated at the price and lack of selection regarding after-market parts. It has been a good car for the past 6 years I've owned it, but I've decided I want to go back to a Silvia, or something cheaper, lighter, and smaller.

I want to take my next car to the track, just for track days etc, which is something I've wanted to do in the 100, but it's not suitable or set-up for it (I just want to grip, and the occasional attempt at drifting).

Any reason why I should rethink this? I still love this series of car, and would like to keep it, but I also want a change. I'm looking to downgrade basically. I'd also rather wreck a lesser car, rather than stack my 100 if I mess up.

What do you guys think?

lofreq

Re: Selling My JZX100 For Something Else

Post by lofreq »

Sell it

Your points all make good sense and its all true- the x chassis is way too expensive to maintain for the casual enthusiast, it requires money and some serious dedication.

6 years is a good stint, you should get something that really brings a smile to your face everytime you get behind the wheel

phys

Post by phys »

I cannot see why the chaser is not capable of performing well on track in grip racing with the right set up, is the car turbo or non turbo? auto or manual? An auto is always gonna be pooh for grip racing really but chassis wise they got chasers to handle awesome in the day and just like anything throw enough money at it and you will get results.
For starters you would need to take as much weight from the car as possible and stiffen the body and improve suspension set-up which with the lack of choice and cost of parts will add up pretty fast, if it has no LSD and is auto plus non turbo there is another 8k easy to make it fast enough to compete and hold its own on a track depending on event choice but I see guy's in station wagons etc at track day's having a ball :D

If you wanna grip race and drift just get a lighter car with better power to weight if thats what you wanna use it for but the more track oriented your car becomes the worse it is as a daily :roll:
Have you considered a track hack type choice and keeping the chaser or are you over it after 6 years?

Alex

Post by Alex »

his car is manual turbo, adjusties.. etc,
i reckon just get a daily if you dont already adam and strip out the chaser..
get some sways and bracing ( if you dont already i cant remember..)
half cage maybe? get some track wheels and semis.. :)

phys

Post by phys »

The chaser is an awesome car to look at and I am yet to see one at a track day or club event, one day mine will get there and show that they can be a great track fun day car.
If mine was manual, turbo and LSD I would already have it on track, I see plenty of skylines and heavier commies out there having a blast at these day's so personally I would be seeking ways to reduce weight and improve handling without sacrificing road use too much and enjoy it's powerful engine and ability.

Upgrade your pads and fluids and get a good set of semi's and spare rim's and have a go or.....go buy something boring and same same.........how much will your car sell for you think?

Jayzedex100

Post by Jayzedex100 »

lofreq wrote: the x chassis is way too expensive to maintain for the casual enthusiast, it requires money and some serious dedication.
I agree 100%. Money and serious dedication are two things I don't have. I would consider myself just that; a casual enthusiast.
phys wrote: I cannot see why the chaser is not capable of performing well on track in grip racing with the right set up, is the car turbo or non turbo? auto or manual? An auto is always gonna be pooh for grip racing really but chassis wise they got chasers to handle awesome in the day and just like anything throw enough money at it and you will get results.
For starters you would need to take as much weight from the car as possible and stiffen the body and improve suspension set-up which with the lack of choice and cost of parts will add up pretty fast, if it has no LSD and is auto plus non turbo there is another 8k easy to make it fast enough to compete and hold its own on a track depending on event choice but I see guy's in station wagons etc at track day's having a ball :D

If you wanna grip race and drift just get a lighter car with better power to weight if thats what you wanna use it for but the more track oriented your car becomes the worse it is as a daily :roll:
Have you considered a track hack type choice and keeping the chaser or are you over it after 6 years?
As Alex said, it's factory manual, and turbo.

It's not that I don't think it can't handle it - I've spent the last 8 years looking at, and reading about all the highly modified ones in Japan, and have owned two of these now to know they're really impressive cars, that are capable of matching other more glorified Jap cars around. It's just a money thing (I haven't achieved much since I left school, which is quite a while ago now).

I've already owned an S14 K's, which was really enjoyable and fun to drive, although it was just as basic as my current 100. Although, those cars haven't depreciated in price much, and if anything have increased in price, which would seem a bit pointless for me, wanting more cash back in the bank. Then there is the theft risk with those things now. I have thought about finding an X81 or X90, but those obviously aren't able to be imported now, and building one here would require money, and/or the know-how to do the mods myself, which I don't have.
phys wrote: Upgrade your pads and fluids and get a good set of semi's and spare rim's and have a go or.....go buy something boring and same same.........how much will your car sell for you think?
I just upgraded my rear pads, and have spare rims. My Chaser is very tidy and has been well preserved. I don't think it's wise for me to start caning it around a track after all this time. I want a thrasher.

I'd like to think my car would be worth at least 15k. If it isn't, and doesn't sell for that, it's pointless paying a few grand less for a Silvia, which are a bit overpriced thanks to their popularity from drifting. I had a Silvia when most people didn't rate them in NZ, and were thought of as a nothing car. I liked and bought the 100's because at that time, not many people knew of them, and flew under the radar.

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

phys wrote:I cannot see why the chaser is not capable of performing well on track in grip racing with the right set up, is the car turbo or non turbo? auto or manual? An auto is always gonna be pooh for grip racing really but chassis wise they got chasers to handle awesome in the day and just like anything throw enough money at it and you will get results.

ha autos are poos for track racing thats a myth if i have ever herd one, you should come to the gtr elite track day and let me and croyn ( 2jzgte on toyspeed ) scare the shit out of you, in my jzx100 and his jza80

anyhow you really dont have to spend alot on getting them to handle correctly, good spring rate and sway bars are a great start, then personaly i would brace the front and back, and this alone will alow you some great fun times, brakes since your car is factory tourer V i would change the fulid, dont go full on dot 5.1 spec fulid, just go get the motul 400/600 dot 4 stuff, has a great boiling point, pads if your running the oem spec toyota pads they are perfect for beginners

the best advice i could give anyone is this tho

go tack your car how it is right at this very moment to a trackday/club track event and have a fang, talk to people in the know, and go from there........the bug with trackracing/drifting will catch on super fast

and woops

just go have fun
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

phys

Post by phys »

Now that's an invite I would take in a second....scare the shit out of me probably not but love to see how an auto handles the down changes under braking and kickdowns etc In actual conditions so anytime I am keen as.

It's always a good thing to take your car out and see what it can do as it is, and as I mentioned these things were very fast in their day albeit not powered by 1J but same chassis but still I think a good coil-over set up with some braces and it should have potential to put a smile on your face you cant wipe off and embarrass many others on track with little hassle.

All that really matters though Is wether you want to keep it or sell it really.

Alex

Post by Alex »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYl5ccKe ... ture=share
for those "poos auto fans.." haha
bot, adam, you will struggle as you know to buy something in its class for the same or less money..
so i reckon.. either get another car to take to trackdays for a thrash around, or just use the chaser
and buy a corolla or something to daily.. :)

d1 86

Post by d1 86 »

I'm keen to swap my drift car for something bigger.
I'm in the complete opposite situation and have grown bored of the track after 8 years.