XQUSIS: Tristan's Mark II JZX110 IR-V

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
archon

Re: XQUSIS: Tristan's Mark II JZX110 IR-V

Post by archon »

My thoughts regarding coilovers:

For:
Adjust height & damper (if damper adjustable)

Against
Need cert = cost + lose flexibility for changing height, wheels, putting stock suspension back in etc as locked into what is on your cert plate
You only have a +/- 5% range after cert anyway. Realistically how often are you going to adjust the height? Every week? month? year?
If one leaks may struggle to get it rebuilt
If they use pillow ball mounts often results in loss of ride quality and wear quickly creating a nice knocking noise

Your car looks at a good height now, personally I'd get a set of Koni sports. F*ck all that stance/sacked out/scraping stuff over speed bumps/shredding your tyres on your guards crap.

/end grumpy old man speel

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

archon wrote:My thoughts regarding coilovers:

For:
Adjust height & damper (if damper adjustable)

Against
Need cert = cost + lose flexibility for changing height, wheels, putting stock suspension back in etc as locked into what is on your cert plate
You only have a +/- 5% range after cert anyway. Realistically how often are you going to adjust the height? Every week? month? year?
If one leaks may struggle to get it rebuilt
If they use pillow ball mounts often results in loss of ride quality and wear quickly creating a nice knocking noise

/end grumpy old man speel
coudn't have said it any better..

full adjustable coilovers on a daily street car is like an iPad given to a grandma..

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

I really wanted to get rid of the chromes around the window frames..

ooooo wonder what these guys are doing??? :o

The photo above pretty much gives it away..... :mrgreen:

...and this :evil:

CARBON FIBRE WINDOW TRIMS!!! (vinyl)

First drive out after finishing this, I had two different groups who asked my what car this is... "hey bruuu is that a Nissan?" :ugeek:

sounds like the future is bright from here on.

...Meanwhile on the same day, I got a bit sidetracked. There's a clearance sale on UR braces for Altezzas so....

i know this a bit unnecessary at this point but I just coudn't say NO to $200 for the set..

first impression on the chassis braces: can definitely feel a lil bit of difference on the street. however, the 4 point rear brace is hitting the exhaust pipe. because of this, the car is a bit louder as vibration is transferred from the exhaust pipe to the whole body. anyone knows if this is BAD? I might just go to a shop and get the exhaust pipes raised even for just a few mm.

next stop is still a set of swaybars > might lower it a bit but will have to invest on camber arms as I don't want too much camber as it will mess up the handling. at the moment, it's already at borderline camber with it's current height. WHHAATTT?!?!

WATDA

Post by WATDA »

How low do those braces hang? Damn cheap, I got my rear strut brace from AAP awhile ago also dirt cheap

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

It lowers the ground clearance by 20mm compared to the stock braces. I will try to take photos today and post in on here. :P

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

go and see AJ at Pitstop Grey Lynn and he can modify the exhaust to clear the brace, we had the same problem on a friends IS300

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

I messaged him on facebook. :P

Oh yeah, a bit off topic but just confirmed my car's got factory LSD. I didn't wanna assume at first but now I'm sure. That's why there's a "turn in" effect during hard cornering (with gas on). :lol:

edit:

Tested this tonight and my car definitely has LSD. It's B01B on the manufacturer's plate and M84 labeled on the axle. I'm not sure if it's factory. If it is, then this info could be useful to someone. :mrgreen:

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

murdoko wrote:I'm not sure if it's factory. If it is, then this info could be useful to someone. :mrgreen:
Jack up the back and spin one of the wheels, a torsen will behave like an open diff in this situation (i.e. the wheel on the opposite side will spin in the opposite direction). If both wheels spin the same way you have an aftermarket lsd (unless 110's had a clutch type option?)
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

PSIBRG wrote:
murdoko wrote:I'm not sure if it's factory. If it is, then this info could be useful to someone. :mrgreen:
Jack up the back and spin one of the wheels, a torsen will behave like an open diff in this situation (i.e. the wheel on the opposite side will spin in the opposite direction). If both wheels spin the same way you have an aftermarket lsd (unless 110's had a clutch type option?)
:mrgreen: I was gonna do it today but the car will be on hoist tomorrow.

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

Just an update:

So I got the exhaust raised up which involved cutting and welding. Got the CAT removed too. might as well.

regarding the LSD: this is weird.

I know how torsen and clutch-type LSDs act but mine doesn't quite meet any of these two fully. I turned one wheel then the other wheel moved the other way. so this suggested that my LSD is torsen. when I jerk it, the other wheel doesn't move when I turn a wheel. any suggestions??? LOL