Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
gadget

Gadget's JZS161 Aristo

Post by gadget »

Name: Ben N
Where your from: Hawkes Bay
What you do: Work in IT
Car you own: 2000 JZS161 Aristo
Mods and future plans: 18" wheels, TRD brakes, adjusties, some kind of aftermarket exhaust... who knows what else? It's my Japanese surprise! Future? Not sure... still waiting for it to arrive. If it doesn't have an LSD that'll def be first on the list...
Next car you want to buy: Nothing on the horizon unless money finds me...
Why you joined JZX NZ: MrOizo recommended - good bunch apparently.
Previous Cars (earliest to most recent): 1986 AE82GT, 1989 AE92GT, 1993 Supra SZ, 1993 Supra RZ, 1996 Supra RZ (I'll just leave out the embarrasing family stuff 2006 to now lol)

Excuse the Jap auction pic - will replace when I get my hands on it....

PowderJZX

Re: Gadget's JZS161 Aristo

Post by PowderJZX »

Hey man! good to have u here :D

car's nice and clean! i like it! when does it arrive? i dont often see a white aristo like this
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

gadget

Post by gadget »

Cheers!

It's in compliance at the moment. Mission getting it here - boat got turned back due to rough water! Left Japan for the first time around the 10th of July, finally arrived in NZ on the 11th of August.

No wheel locking nut key, and very close tollerances apparently, so they're having a right sod of a time getting the wheels off, and I've got another week to wait after all this for the cert plate to turn up (for the adjustable suspension) before they'll release it from compliance. Hoping to trip up to Auckland late next week to pick it up, hoping!.

I know what you mean about the colour, I looked for a while for one and I wanted pretty much any colour except silver (had a silver JZA80 and felt it just wasnt' me...). Narrowed it down pretty much to black or white, none in NZ so went searching... Black ones were rediculous prices - nearly double a white one for the same specs. So a white one I have! :D

Up in Aucks for a week 11th to 17th so will come along to a meet, if you have one that week.

D1Style

Post by D1Style »

Welcome man

Good to see another JZS161 owner on here....at least im not the only one now :D

Absolutely love my one, had it for about a year now.

Nice that your one has some goodies on it already aye!!

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

Nice!!

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

gadget

wow i remember you from toyspeed days in your silver jza80 ( memory is old and haggard may not be silver but i remember the p plate haha ) ......crap that was like 7yrs ago???

you and that car alone is one of the reasons i fell in love with jz's

welcome man
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

gadget

Post by gadget »

FLAWLES wrote:you and that car alone is one of the reasons i fell in love with jz's
haha awesome, well, pleased to be of service. The '96 I had after the silver one was my fav. An abolute minter with 45k on the clock when I bought it.... those were the days! I left Auck december 03, so yeah, pretty much 8 years ago! Oh how times fly/change :)

gadget

Post by gadget »

So after fun with getting it complied, it's here!

Very impressed overall, nice car. Aftermarket goodies confirmed/found (some pics via links):
TRD front brakes (appear to be supra 4-pot calipers & rotors)
TRD cat-back twin exhaust
TRD underbody chassis stiffeners
Tom's Advox adjustable coilovers

I'd say by the condition of this stuff it was mostly done when the car was near-new. Someone had some cash!

Now for the first 'event':
Image Image Image
So I was checkin out my brakes and noticed that one of the pad retaining pins was hanging out about 40mm (first pic). Ripped the wheel off and found the spring-clip that normally holds the pins in place hadn't been inserted properly in the pins (put round it instead of through the hole) (middle pic). It appears that it's just been being 'tapped' back into place each time a spoke from the alloy wheel hits the round head of the pin. Luckily this process hasn't damaged anything beyond a cosmetic scratch on the inside of the alloy (last pic). All resolved now, THANKS compliance people.

Ben.

2win2rbo

Post by 2win2rbo »

Around where in Hawke's Bay do you stroll? I might have encountered your Aristo at a roundabout in front of Pak 'n Save...or it might be a different car.
1993 トヨタ クレスタ TOURER S JZX90

gadget

Post by gadget »

2win2rbo wrote:Around where in Hawke's Bay do you stroll? I might have encountered your Aristo at a roundabout in front of Pak 'n Save...or it might be a different car.
May indeed have been me - I live about 1km from Hastings Pak'n'save and do go there reasonably regularly.... not sure there's many other Aristos in this part of the country!