4 n R Discussion Thread

Discussion of JZX NZ meets and other events

Moderator: PowderJZX

lofreq

Re: 4 n R Discussion Thread

Post by lofreq »

absolutely, this is what im trying to get across. we all love our cars and we all are working on it the best we can with our money and time... but this is the first time to reveal JZX cars to the public. FIRST IMPRESSIONS LAST. cant stress it enough.

i know WE know each others cars, WE know "Philip is working on this next", "Tristan is planning this swap next" "Thomas has all these parts" etc etc, but the thing is, the show-going public DONT! they see with their eyes and a decision is made in 4 seconds. they see a row of our cars... with whatever level of mod or finish, on whatever kind of stage setup (or none), and they turn their head and see another row of Nissans, all with flashy paint, 300wkw engines, track drifters with drift damage, massive wheels, etc etc, special carpetting, maybe video monitors playing cool videos of them on the street and track, cool lights,

and they turn their head back to the row of JZXs - now, remember these arent all people who know what a JZX is. its quite stereotypical. some will know but not all. now, what is this impression going to give? in their minds, they look at the nissans, look at the nissan club name, and they go, whoa sweeeet! turn and look at the jzxs, look at the jzx logo, and they might not have the same impression!

this would be a shame for the people entering and for the club. we love our cars and our cars have massive potential - but while we love them we have to be real about their condition, and how they look to the general public... its unfair, but its true - if everyone knew about JZX chassis then yeah, but most dont.

maybe then its true that the club is still young and for a first impression its going to be hard. again i stress, if you feel your ride is ready to represent, then shit mate go for it. but be ready for a surprise..

im here as a voice of reason, maybe devils advocate, to make sure you really are considering all there is to consider. an awesome show does not consist of enthusiasm and sheer numbers alone. im not here to attack anyones car - but im just here to say, be real, guys. be honest about the level of standard your ride is at, right now. Is your ride right now, something that you would LOVE to see in a car show, by itself, as an independant stand? if you saw a nissan built up with exactly the same mods as yours and same condition, would you be stoaked to see it? if your answer is YES, then hell yeah go for it. if your answer is hmmmm well prob not, then ITS OK :) it just means a bit more time and money will get you there :) but its ok not to rush in, right. better to have a awesome show later than a crappy one NOW, yeah? :)

l SIC l

Post by l SIC l »

^ Exactly right, un-debatable
1995 Toyota Supra - Twin-turbo - 6-speed - Aerotop
No ABS. No Traction Control.

dom

Post by dom »

Yeah I fully agree with the last few posts. This is a car show where we will be competing for the audiences attention against a room full of show/drag/drift cars, not a friday night park up on Quay st.

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

After much thought, I'd have to say, you are right Nigel. I don't think majority of us will be ready for this kind of exposure. I myself wouldn't even be close to show-car standards and you guys are far ahead of me when it comes to getting "there."

However, I still think some of us will be show-worthy. If Thomas really wants exposure and wanna push through with this, I suggest we have a small lineup, say 4-5 cars max. Peter's car will be smokin by January with all the stuff that he gets from Cusco plus an upcoming all-genuine manual conversion. I also nominate Andrew Choi's x110 which is pure JDM madness. Dom, i reckon you're car will be up for it once your bodykit's done? what do you guys think?

If a 4-5 car lineup is too small for a club stand, then I suggest we hold back. However, I'd like to reiterate that we have a few good candidates for the small lineup.

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

What happened to Brett Lee Sang's jzx90? If anything is worthy of displaying at a show, it's that car.
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

dom

Post by dom »

murdoko wrote:Dom, i reckon you're car will be up for it once your bodykit's done?
I'll offer my car for a club stand but only once it's all painted and I have new wheels. Even then, the car isnt that "show special" apart from its rarity.

I reckon if the general public of the "car scene" wouldnt think "wow" when looking at a car, then it definately shouldnt be in a show.

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

Raheem, am trying to contact brett, hopefully vash will convince him to show up along with the chosen JZX club..

we've got:

Peter Deedman:

Andrew Choy: - still to confirm

Brett's x90: - still to confirm

Richard kelly:

AJ Shep:

Philip Hyunh:

Possibly Jarrod Biddulph:

AN NIGE? you still in?:

we can probably show them 1 or 2 x100s? what about that tourer v gut from wellington maybe he'll be keen :P lol

What do you guys think of this linup?
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Max Power

Post by Max Power »

Having followed this thread I am going to dive straight into this debate, keep in mind I have never been to 4nR and probably never will - so if that makes my point of view worthless then so be it and read no more...

Seems like a couple of strong views as to put the club in the show or not. Are there enough cars up to 'show' standard? I cant off the top of my head think of anyone on here that has a purpose built show car or even building a show car?

Nigel, Dom and Shaarn have a point when they say take a look this year and come back in 2013 with the complete package once everyone has cars up to a certain standard. However who is to say the club will have a more complete set of X chassis up for showing in a year. Some guys would have moved on to something else, left the country, busy doing other crap.

Maybe it is best to just show up with a small group of tidy cars where the owners are up to having the general public poke around at. The club is what it is, pretending to be something else wont work out well in the long run.

I like the list above but why not throw a couple of others in there - Nicks Altezza, SIC Supra and that monster V8 TT Soarer. Perhaps you might be able to appeal to a wider audience with with an Altezza, Supra and Soarer in the mix? I know it would make me look twice...

At the end of the day I don't care much for trends, too old to care about whats cool and too busy with general life to give a fu%k about what others think, so be honest with your feedback. Got nothing too lose in my humble opinion...

Peace

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

yeah i dunno, im still confused as to the vision here. is the club still about JZXNZ meaning JZ powered and X chassis? or is it "anything toyota"?

and how is brett lee's car representing the club when he has nothing to do with it.

finally, im curious - what exactly is the vision for the display? i think 4-5car display is very realistic and doable - so, whats the theme, whats the layout ideas, whats it gonna look like? any concept sketches?

Max Power

Post by Max Power »

lofreq wrote:yeah i dunno, im still confused as to the vision here. is the club still about JZXNZ meaning JZ powered and X chassis? or is it "anything toyota"?
From what I see its based on JZ and/or X with a few related models in the mix. Anything from the Soarer, Altezza even the Mark X?
lofreq wrote:and how is brett lee's car representing the club when he has nothing to do with it.
I also wondered about this, personally would like to see cats from the club on show. Especially those who have been more active.
lofreq wrote:finally, im curious - what exactly is the vision for the display? i think 4-5car display is very realistic and doable - so, whats the theme, whats the layout ideas, whats it gonna look like? any concept sketches?
Yeah, without wanting to get anymore involved all I will say is... TAXI stand? :D