Tauranga Cuise with Platinum Wheels - MORE DETAILS OUT NOW!!

Discussion of JZX NZ meets and other events

Moderator: PowderJZX

FLAWLES

Re: Tauranga Cuise with Platinum Wheels - MORE DETAILS OUT N

Post by FLAWLES »

i was pulling the piss

i live in hamilton and drive to tga for work to see my customers weekly...and its an old night haunt for touge passes so i know the road rather well

its a main road. to " fall off it " your doing pretty well.............in a sense
even more so on the tga side

in a down poor you should be driving to the conditions, the roads are not that slippery in the dry even after a few days of rain and drys out etc...big crock of shit that is again it come down to driving to the conditions and treat all roads liek you havnt driven on them before

the only time the kaimais gets dangerous is when a low cloud or sheet fog ( when you can not see 1m in front of you ) and when it snows on there

i have had a evo fly past me on the tga side only to be caught out by the fog i had a trailer on at the time so i was going slow he ignored it ended up hitting the bank and facing me on the wrong side of the road........him and the above skyline chap we as plan as day not driving to the condiotons

plan and simple, aqua planning may play a small part in it but the bigger picture comes down to driver error, you dont see a car falling off the road aqua planning at low speeds do you?

but yes leason learnt and glad they both walked away
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

shweatypox

Post by shweatypox »

it was going uphill Matamata side, came around the right hand bend and straight out the right hand side of road just before the driveway patch cause that's where I stopped. Google Map Link here
Last edited by shweatypox on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

thanks dude that makes way more sense now

the old cut down to third gear and give it a bit of gass to shoot up the hill aye?

how far back where you dude? just trying to peace it all together........internet ravings are all over the place in regards to this
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

shweatypox

Post by shweatypox »

Maybe 2 mins or so, the guy was just crawling up the bank as we stopped. I can only guess that he maybe overdone the corner and perhaps on coming traffic made keep to the right but yeah, really wide in that part as another slow lane starts right there. It's like 4 lanes wide

shweatypox

Post by shweatypox »

Lol, just realized the google road overlay looks like the actual racing line he took :) zoom all the way in

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

it was quite slippery, i was hard pressed to get above 90 without risking understeer round the bends or oversteer on boost. it was a very wide 4 lanes where he went off, you can see the "run off" area on the right where everyone pulled over (across oncoming lanes!!) to stop and help... he went off before the run off area.

its a sucky situation to lose your car and also risk injury etc, just glad no oncoming innnocent motorists got killed or injured in the process also.

that being said, going uphill you can bleed off speed at 90kmh reasonably quick - i dont see how you would have enough momentum to get across all 4 lanes uphill on the brakes (unless deliberately on the gas to try to pull out of it) all the way off the rd and down a bank, defeating all ATESSA system, defeating 4wd, while doing 90. so it is inherently possible that speed above 90 would be in order

maybe 4wd's are just way better and as such 90kmh is not a "limit" for them, maybe they could manage 100kmh in same conditions before giving up - 90kmh was definitely the rwd limit for me. but to get it that far wrong, i dunno, doesnt seem possible if "driving to the conditions" as jarred mentions... :/

not trying to diss anyone or the owner/driver etc just saying what the conditions were at that exact moment, i went past about 30sec after the incident.

l SIC l

Post by l SIC l »

He could've dropped it down a gear to overtake and floored it, possibly unsettling the car under those conditions... but like you say Nigel, he must have really froze up/ reacted very wrongly to the situation if he managed to pull across all those lanes and go off the cliff where he should've been able to stop easily enough with 4wd, big brakes and gravity in favor of him :s
1995 Toyota Supra - Twin-turbo - 6-speed - Aerotop
No ABS. No Traction Control.

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

There's one theory that i can think of.. too much water caused the r34 to 'hydroplane' therefore sliding down to the bank... it happens you know haha
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

l SIC l

Post by l SIC l »

Hydroplaning on a hill? It probably happens, but...
1995 Toyota Supra - Twin-turbo - 6-speed - Aerotop
No ABS. No Traction Control.

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Maybe after spending his life savings on an R34 GTR... the only tyres he could afford were Wanli trademe specials :lol:

Nah, sorry bad taste. Maybe something broke? I've had a lower ball joint randomly break on me before, was coming round a corner at an intersection (thankfully only doing about 15kph), massive loud bang and scraping sound as the car grinded itself to a halt, hate to think what would've happened if I was doing 50kph+ on a wet road.....
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament