new 6.5" speakers in the doors JZX100

When driving your car just isn't enough...
BrownoutsJZX

new 6.5" speakers in the doors JZX100

Post by BrownoutsJZX »

About to install new 6.5" speakers all round. in the jzx100 do i have to pull off the whole door card itself or do the speaker covers just pop off? i gave one of the speaker covers a nudge to see if they'd unclip, but i didnt want to force it then go on breaking something. So, do i have to pull off the whole door card before i start hackig away at it?

churr.

dom

Re: new 6.5" speakers in the doors JZX100

Post by dom »

You need to take the whole door card off.

TIPS:
Try find a speaker which doesnt sit too deep in the door cavity. Dont realise this the next day when you want to put your window down and only wants to go half way:( I got around this by using a spacer to space the speaker out. You can easily run aftermarket components up the front, I mounted my tweeters in the factory location and the crossover beneath it, no body would ever know.

Rear doors, once again try find a speaker which doesnt sit too deep. Dont be disappointed like I was when i tried to shut the door and it wouldnt shut. The problem here was the plastic door stay thing was fouling on the rear of the speaker. You need to elongate the speaker hole downwards so the speaker it will clear.

blink13b

Post by blink13b »

hey, have just put new 6'' speakers in rear doors of my x100, i used the origional speaker which is one piece with its spacer/pod. get the grinder out, cut the old speaker out of the centre, unsolder the coil wires from plug, bond new speaker into origional spacer (use 2 pack adhesive, araldite or similar), and solder speaker wires up to the spacer plug, then it still plugs into factory door wiring. its amazing how well the 6'' speakers fit into the spacers with minimal work. and you still get plenty of clearance for big magnets, so it doesn't foul on anything inside door.
jzx = yes........ anything else = no
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

dom

Post by dom »

Oh right that sounds a lot less of a mission. When i got my chaser it the factory speakers were long gone. I had 4" in the front doors and 6x9's in the rears :lol:

BrownoutsJZX

Post by BrownoutsJZX »

blink13b wrote:hey, have just put new 6'' speakers in rear doors of my x100, i used the origional speaker which is one piece with its spacer/pod. get the grinder out, cut the old speaker out of the centre, unsolder the coil wires from plug, bond new speaker into origional spacer (use 2 pack adhesive, araldite or similar), and solder speaker wires up to the spacer plug, then it still plugs into factory door wiring. its amazing how well the 6'' speakers fit into the spacers with minimal work. and you still get plenty of clearance for big magnets, so it doesn't foul on anything inside door.
sounds like a logical plan man. thanks for that.