x90 Mark II - Fitting facelift tails

No body likes an ugly duckling...
PSIBRG

x90 Mark II - Fitting facelift tails

Post by PSIBRG »

Has anyone done this? I'm trying to transfer the facelift tail lights from my parts car to my pre-facelift Mark II, and can't seem to get them to fit in properly. Are they meant to swap straight in? On both the left and right lights I can only get one side of each light in at a time, if I try to fit one side it pushes out the other side and vice versa. If I force both sides in neither will go all the way, and it leaves a massive gap between the light and the rear bumper.

Do I have to swap the actual light covers over (the back of the lights is actually different, but looks like it should mount the same), or should they bolt straight in? Maybe my car is more bent than I thought :oops:
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

PSIBRG

Re: x90 Mark II - Fitting facelift tails

Post by PSIBRG »

Nobody?

Anyway it seems they should bolt right in. So I have some straightening to do... sigh :roll:

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

PSIBRG wrote:Nobody?

Anyway it seems they should bolt right in. So I have some straightening to do... sigh :roll:

Hey man,

philips done it before but he had to cut the plugs... so that he can just rewire them with the new ones.. good to see you starting it..
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Just went out there with the hammer and attacked the car :lol:

Managed to get them to slot in, but they still don't sit 100% straight. Good enough though... like I said it's not a show car :mrgreen:

Didn't have to change any plugs either. BUT, after everything was assembled, I decided i'd better get someone to put their foot on the brakes, just to be sure they still lit up. And 2 of the 4 brake bulbs no longer work. So they've gotta come out again :lol:

Before:

After:

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

Shit its looking nice tho
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

ryanfels

Post by ryanfels »

I prefer the PFL tail lights myself

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Yeah I quite like the pfl tail lights myself, they look a bit angrier than the facelift ones. But mine were cracked along the bottom and and filled up with water everytime it rained hard, so they had to go.

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

PSIBRG wrote:Has anyone done this? I'm trying to transfer the facelift tail lights from my parts car to my pre-facelift Mark II, and can't seem to get them to fit in properly. Are they meant to swap straight in? On both the left and right lights I can only get one side of each light in at a time, if I try to fit one side it pushes out the other side and vice versa. If I force both sides in neither will go all the way, and it leaves a massive gap between the light and the rear bumper.

Do I have to swap the actual light covers over (the back of the lights is actually different, but looks like it should mount the same), or should they bolt straight in? Maybe my car is more bent than I thought :oops:

just out of interest, the same BS happens with facelift tails fitment into PFL x100 chaser... one side goes in, other pops out, light "seesaws" on some hidden obstruction. the plugs are too tall on PFL lights and are 4slot twist-type as opposed to facelift 3slot twist-type, i assume they switched to low profile plugs when they facelifted so that gave more space for bigger lenses... you can make it fit by butchering the rear of the lights and bashing metal out of the way of the plugs, crude but no choice.

however it does make you appreciate a bit more, what goes into facelifting these cars when they have been designed for something else initially..

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

^^ haha so i'm not going crazy thinking either my tail light was crooked or my car was bent lol!!

I chucked in a thick washer on one side where the bolt goes in and its fine now. Only grant at gtref figured it out lol

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

So I took a hammer to my car for nothing? :lol: :lol: