Stretched Tyres

No body likes an ugly duckling...
m989

Stretched Tyres

Post by m989 »

Anyone know which brand is best for stretching onto a wider rim? Currently got some 225/40/18 triangles on a 10J and there's bugger all traction. Also what is recommended pressure to run them at (I imagine its different to non stretched tyres, however not 100%).

ch4sernz

Re: Stretched Tyres

Post by ch4sernz »

Couple of issues there when looking for traction.
Firstly you brought triangles.
Secondly there will be no sidewall give to help traction
Thirdly triangles
How much camber are you running?

BlakeNZ

Post by BlakeNZ »

Dude, get with the programme... the stretched look is plain non sensical, a complete waste of a big wide rim. Poor traction, and poor cornering. These cars look WAY tougher with the biggest widest tyres you can possibly stuff under the rear end. And when you floor it, all the power goes to the ground, and you spank that rice honda that was beside you. Plain and simple. Traction/performance,looks TOUGH. What part of that is a deal breaker for you?
1989 2jzx81 mark II project.
1991 Soarer (world's fastest 'stock turbo' jzz30 soarer), 11.51sec @ 122mph.

Dr. Acula

Post by Dr. Acula »

Recently got pink stickered for too much stretch and tread sticking out passed the guards (225/40 on 18x9.5s at the front, and 235/40 on 18x10.5s at the rear)

So went and bought brand new Nitto Invo's all round, with 235/40 on the 18x9.5s, and 265/35 on the 18x10.5 which are legal sizes for those wheels, plus got the rear guards pumped and some new +20mm Origin Lab front fenders. Still has stretch, but not as aggressive.

Also, I'd love to say stretch is safe, but one of my 265s blew a sidewall after just 50km... Dunno the cause yet, but I'm sure it's not the stretch..

m989

Post by m989 »

ch4sernz wrote:Couple of issues there when looking for traction.
Firstly you brought triangles.
Secondly there will be no sidewall give to help traction
Thirdly triangles
How much camber are you running?
Did not buy them, came free with the wheels.
1.5 degrees negative camber.
BlakeNZ wrote:Dude, get with the programme... the stretched look is plain non sensical, a complete waste of a big wide rim. Poor traction, and poor cornering. These cars look WAY tougher with the biggest widest tyres you can possibly stuff under the rear end. And when you floor it, all the power goes to the ground, and you spank that rice honda that was beside you. Plain and simple. Traction/performance,looks TOUGH. What part of that is a deal breaker for you?
No need to be hostile, Im well aware of some of the downfalls of running stretched tyres which is why these are not my only set of wheels for the car.
Dr. Acula wrote:Recently got pink stickered for too much stretch and tread sticking out passed the guards (225/40 on 18x9.5s at the front, and 235/40 on 18x10.5s at the rear)

So went and bought brand new Nitto Invo's all round, with 235/40 on the 18x9.5s, and 265/35 on the 18x10.5 which are legal sizes for those wheels, plus got the rear guards pumped and some new +20mm Origin Lab front fenders. Still has stretch, but not as aggressive.

Also, I'd love to say stretch is safe, but one of my 265s blew a sidewall after just 50km... Dunno the cause yet, but I'm sure it's not the stretch..
All the tread on my current tyres fits under the guards. Have not had any trouble from the law. My guards have had a light roll at some point in the cars life but I don't want them excessively wide either.

I am swapping the triangles out for some 235/40's of a different brand next week and will see how they go.

Thanks all for the input.

ch4sernz

Post by ch4sernz »

Decent quality rubber will help hugely!
I have run some 225 re050 that had a lot more grip than cheaper 245s
I'm also sitting around -1.5 in the rear but have 255s on my 10s
Grip is pretty good now

m989

Post by m989 »

Got any photos of the fitment on your 10's? Also what offest you running? Mine are +30

ch4sernz

Post by ch4sernz »

10s are +35
No photos at the moment as I cleared phone off for holiday and car is parked at work at the moment. Will try get some tomorrow