Tein coilovers knocking noise

No point in having a million kw and not being able to use it...
D1Style

Tein coilovers knocking noise

Post by D1Style »

Hi all

i had my adjustables put in the other day, went for a drive and have noticed a knocking noise from the rear passenger side.
Have googled it and found that it is a common noise with Teins.....is that right??? also found that it could be the pillowmount or bushes which could also make the knocking sound....

does anyone know or have a workshop where i can take my car to get checked?

cheers

Alex

Re: Tein coilovers knocking noise

Post by Alex »

hey man, Autolign up your way is probably your best bet..
they are the official tein service / dealers.. so if something needs repairing they can also.

nite b

Post by nite b »

Haha, yep will almost gaurantee it will be the pillow ball tops. Couple of my old sets were the rear passenger too actually!?
Awesome suspension though, worth the noise. :D
Brendan,

Convert Ltd/Niteparts NZ

archon

Post by archon »

I'd first just check that the adjustment collars are tight, but it is likely to be the pillow ball mount as already mentioned.

Last time I checked the mounts were about $125 each, and that's just insert not the whole mount.
On the Teins I had I took off the top nut and fitted a rubber and a steel washer before putting the nut back on - the washers sat on top of the mount essentially locking the ball into the housing and getting rid of the noise.

D1Style

Post by D1Style »

archon wrote:I'd first just check that the adjustment collars are tight, but it is likely to be the pillow ball mount as already mentioned.

Last time I checked the mounts were about $125 each, and that's just insert not the whole mount.
On the Teins I had I took off the top nut and fitted a rubber and a steel washer before putting the nut back on - the washers sat on top of the mount essentially locking the ball into the housing and getting rid of the noise.

did the above and put a couple of washers on today and tightened it as much as i could...knocking still there?

also read that it could be the top hat??

Any other suggestions or is it something i just have to put up with?

archon

Post by archon »

D1Style wrote:
archon wrote:I'd first just check that the adjustment collars are tight, but it is likely to be the pillow ball mount as already mentioned.

did the above and put a couple of washers on today and tightened it as much as i could...knocking still there?

also read that it could be the top hat??

Any other suggestions or is it something i just have to put up with?
Did you use a big washer that contacts the top hat instead of the pillowball? That's what I meant - it eliminates the pillow ball movement and thus the noise. I even made a nice picture :)