LSD Diff JZX110

No point in having a million kw and not being able to use it...
shweatypox

LSD Diff JZX110

Post by shweatypox »

Does anyone know if I can swap a better Diff into my 110 from another model. The one wheeling is annoying ;) Ive been told to stay away from the Torsen ones but not sure why.

archon

Re: LSD Diff JZX110

Post by archon »

90/100/110 turbo model (8") diffs are all the same, including mounting points and connecting to the driveshaft and axles. Easiest way is to buy a complete unit with half shafts such as this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 930935.htm
He usually wants about 800 for his torsens.

If you want to go drifting then maybe a clutch type diff would be better, they have a more positive locking action whereas once you slide the Torsen is shifting torque between the wheels depending on which has most grip. You can still get them to slide (check out youtube) but seem to take a bit more provoking, especially with the stupid ects-i drive-by-wire set up on the 110s. though.

On the plus side a torsen can still do doughies and two wheel standstills all day long, there is no clunking, it doesn't chirp tyres when trying to park like a tight clutch diff, doesn't have friction surfaces to wear out and you're maybe more likely to find one with your stock final drive (3.7:1).

An LSD (torsen) was the second best mod in my G-tb after getting decent width rims and tyres on the back - whoever thought fitting a 6.5" wide rim with a 205mm tyre on a car with 380nm of torque at 2400rpm was a bit f*&king stupid.

VR25

Post by VR25 »

I have one Cusco 2 way adjustable LSD for sale at NST , unlike some other LSD's the side shafts do not require replacing ( adding over $ 800.00 ) to the equation .

I'll let this go for $ 1800.00 inc gst . Check my website www.cusco.co.nz for details and specs .

4SLIPZ

Post by 4SLIPZ »

Cusco Is Great!!

shweatypox

Post by shweatypox »

Cheers for the replies guys, I would love to throw the cusco diff in but not at this stage. So if I get say that trade me one, am I able to use my shafts? Is there a specific model diff I need to look for or just anything for a jzx90/100?

archon

Post by archon »

The trademe one will bolt straight in with no additional parts required - it is the complete housing with side/half shafts.

The side shafts are generally different between factory torsen and open diffs. Some of the aftermarket LSDs are designed to be fitted to cars that had a torsen, while it seems the Cusco (and most TRD) LSDs are for cars that originally had an open diff. VR25 is selling just the diff head so you'd need to have that fitted into your housing including swapping over the ring gear, fitting bearings and setting lash etc.

As long as it is the 8" diff from a 90/100/110 with 3.7 ratio it will fit straight in and your speedo reading will be unchanged. The only tricky part with the installation is getting the rear bolts that go through the subframe into the back of the housing out, they are 10 or 12mm hex key and there's not a lot of room between the subframe and spare wheel well. I used a hex socket but there was no room to get the power bar on it (maybe you can get shorter hex sockets though) so put a ring spanner over the hex part then a pipe over the spanner to get some leverage. Apart from those three there is just the two vertical bolts, the 4 driveshaft bolts and 2 lots of 6 inner CV bolts.

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

little tip for those cap bolts/screws that archon is talking about is get a male hex socket ( 12mm ) and a 12mm ratchet spanner and go for gold

works a treat
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

archon

Post by archon »

FLAWLES wrote:little tip for those cap bolts/screws that archon is talking about is get a male hex socket ( 12mm ) and a 12mm ratchet spanner and go for gold

works a treat
Yep...
archon wrote:I used a hex socket....put a ring spanner over the hex part