Big brake kits JZX110

No point in having a million kw and not being able to use it...
davealdworth

Big brake kits JZX110

Post by davealdworth »

Hi all

As the title says I'm looking at the options for big brake kits but don't want to go as small as the Supra BBK. Due to the fact that I'll be dropping my 2jzgte into the 110 and with the extra power and added weight of the 110 I will need something a bit more effective for the long days as the track.

I've been looking at Brembo and Ksport kits (2 of the best kits that allow street driving and heavy track use) but the only make them for 100's or JZA80s. Now I know the Supra BBK can be fitted with the offset nuts but want to know if anyone has any idea if the same sort of nuts can be used to fit the Supra Brembo/Ksport kits.

On top of that (just to make it more confusing :twisted: I know the 110 footprint is based heavily on the Altezza now with that in mind also will the BBK options from the Altezza be an even better option?

If anyone has any advice on this or words of wisdom (apart from fit a Supra 4/2 BBK) that would be rad as

davealdworth

Re: Big brake kits JZX110

Post by davealdworth »

So been in touch with Nick from NST and he said this
In a nut shell these cars all share the

JZX110 Mark2 / Verossa

JZS160/161 Aristo and GS300

SXE10/GXE10/JCE10 – Altezza, IS200, IS300 (2WD models)

JZX100 Chaser/Mark2/Cresta – FRONT ONLY

UZZ40 – Soarer/SC430

so for anyone whos interested if you have a JZX110 and are looking for more stopping power. You can reduce some of the headaches by getting big brake kits for these cars

I have dug a bit deeper on this and if you are after a front and rear kit the n JZX100 front and Altezza rear from Ksport will fit the bill very easily.

Ventourer

Post by Ventourer »

Hey from my experience it comes down to a pretty simple decision. Either the supra BBK which everyone seems to be happy with and for the money is a no brainer, because the alternative is a scary place my friend.
Or you find some secondhand discs and calipers its still going to cost a grand+ to fit.
If you go new calipers and discs then expect to spend upwards of 5k.
If i had known how cheap Nick does the supra brake kit, I probably would have gone that way but I had already started by that time.
The other thing is also that no one can tell you whats going to fit, the only way is to try for yourself, if you want to go this route then seriously the guys at 0800 brakes are very cool. James or Steve will help you with your plans.

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

Yea I had a JZA80 (recently sold) with full Brembo GT kit fitted and that was upwards of 5k per axle so I know it will cost a bit. Cause I'm not in NZ anymore its a bit more limiting (Aussie dealers are bastards) but have since been in contact with Project Mu JP and they have tested that the GS300 drift rear kit and the IS300 front kit do infact directly bolt up with no dramas at all. Compared to the brembo kit plus modification to fit cost (5k plus) its working out at 3k per axle which is pretty good and the stopping power is equal and more than the Supra BBK, but due to wanting to track it a lot more than street driving and a 700+hp 2jzgte conversion, the BBK wouldn't be enough for me.

Fitting will be easy, I can do all that so the only cost is the set up itself. The only pain in the ass now is I need to convert to a hydraulic hand brake aswell. Will run the factory handbrake for normal driving and then track time is all hydraulic which is just a case of figuring how to mount it without destroying the interior.

Only got the contact back from Mu last night and they were actually pretty helpful compared to everyone else K sport said nope no chance, AP said maybe but you'll have to pay for them then if not we can refund (no local dealers around me) and then brembo just said good luck. The guy who I was in contact with has a JZX110 aswell so it's pretty helpful and he has done a bit of RnD on this but once I get the set up (he could just be feeding me shit) I will post it up in my car thread and make it known to the world

Ventourer

Post by Ventourer »

Ah very good, sorry i did not know what your budget was. Not trying to be offensive but most guys here are on a tight budget, its nice to see someone with some extra cash!!
Project Mu stuff would be very nice and im suprised its as cheap as you say.
A lot depends on your wheel inside diameter.
If you can give me your measurements i can compare with mine and maybe help out with disc sizing.
My Work 18's are a really small ID. Pretty crap actually, which limited my disc size.
But maybe yours are big and you could get something bigger than the Mu kit even.

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

Thats the fun part. Still waiting on dimensions on the Mu kit and the wheels haven't been oredered yet cause of that but I have been told that they will clear, as for any other dimensions thats also the fun part cause the car is on the way from Japan haha so basically its all done backwards but I've done that so I can get the car landed, complied and then all bolted up in a matter of weeks not waiting months on end for parts.

The discs are around the 290mm-300mm so they are a small rotor still but thats not a big issue any bigger though would be a bit of an overkill when it comes to replacement cost and the such. The wheels I'm going to be running are Advan TCIII's on the streets and RAYS VOLK RACING G25 ina 18x9.5+35 front and 9.5+22 rear and both will clear the calliper and inner diameter apparently but will make that d once the car lands

As for the budget..... its a lot of saving and long shifts that help with that (and selling my JZA80)

But like I say to all the guys around, once all this is here and the car lands it will be a full thread on clearances, what I can and can't do so hopefully I can fire some information that people are looking for. The biggest issue I'm finding is the fact that part options are extremely limited on the chassis its either Cusco or has to be custom and that's why I've started this one on the brakes cause there is nothing much on brake upgrades for the 110's that aren't Supra BBK's

Mike@ProsportAuto

Post by Mike@ProsportAuto »

Hi Dave,

Did you have any luck with your Project Mu kit?

I'm the NZ Agent for ENDLESS Brakes from Japan, I'd be happy to help out and see what we can do for your setup if you like!

Cheers, Mike
mike@prosportauto.co.nz

Ventourer

Post by Ventourer »

Dave it could be difficult to have all your parts lined up ready to go and expect it all to go on with no dramas. For example I changed rotor sizes and calipers twice before I figured out what fitted.
And the brackets had to have a lot of thought go into them. Hey even when you are told a certain size wheel will clear, dont believe it until you have tried it yourself. Im sure if you take it a bit slower you will achieve a better result.

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

Mike@ProsportAuto wrote:Hi Dave,

Did you have any luck with your Project Mu kit?

I'm the NZ Agent for ENDLESS Brakes from Japan, I'd be happy to help out and see what we can do for your setup if you like!

Cheers, Mike
mike@prosportauto.co.nz

Unfortunately no word back that was good. They have an GS300 kit that will fit the rear only and no real advances on the front according to Nick at NST but the issue is the brackets. I have a guy here in Adelaide (sorry should have clarified that I'm not in NZ anymore) that can make up the brackets and the such.

I have been searching and hunting around I can get the pad and rotor upgrades from project mu thats no issue its just the full caliper kit that I'm after. Due to fitting a 2jzgte into the car later on I need the clamping power of a 4/2 or 6/4 combo but after seeing the car in Sydney (still at the importers with compliance issues) it looks to already have the 4/2 set up on it already. There was 2 jzx110's there and my calipers where considerably bigger so can only assume they are the 4/2 jza80 set up.

But Mike if you have any information on a full endless kit then let me know I'm all ears on that front for sure.
Dave it could be difficult to have all your parts lined up ready to go and expect it all to go on with no dramas. For example I changed rotor sizes and calipers twice before I figured out what fitted.
And the brackets had to have a lot of thought go into them. Hey even when you are told a certain size wheel will clear, dont believe it until you have tried it yourself. Im sure if you take it a bit slower you will achieve a better result.
I know there will be issues with fitting but I'm trying to get a kit together with the least amount of issues with regards to fitting so that way people can know what can work apart from the standard Supra 4/2 set up, they are a great kit but there are better available nowadays. As for the brake/caliper/disc/wheel clearance I'm not too concerned about that the Yoko's will fit a rather large brake and have very good caliper clearance

On another tack the other option if Endless, Brembo or Project Mu have issues with kits is the Grex kit from Greddy. Apparently they are a direct bolt on, but would prefer Endless over the rest and Mu second up, have had both on my JZA80's and were alot better than most without the 12-14k price tag of the GT Brembo kits

Mike@ProsportAuto

Post by Mike@ProsportAuto »

Hi Dave, Thanks for your email.
Just to let the other members know that ENDLESS do make caliper kits for JZX110, and these are 100% full bolt on kits with everything required.
Lets wait and see how your vehicle compliance goes and take it from there!

Cheers, Mike
www.endless-sport.co.nz