recommended engine swaps?

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
gtivvl

recommended engine swaps?

Post by gtivvl »

Been driving my GX100 for a couple weeks now and love the fact its factory manual, but its really lacking POWER.
Been thinking of an engine swap, but im torn between a VVTI 1jz or just go 2jz.

What should I do?

Im not chasing big power, maybe like 250-300kw should be plenty, the reason why im considering the 1jz is cause of the fact it sits lower in the engine bay and make for a more balanced car, but not the other hand the torque from a 2jz would be nice

Hachi-ichi

Re: recommended engine swaps?

Post by Hachi-ichi »

if you are not after power, then 1JZ. Why? because imo each of these motors has a purpose, and you stated you weren't after too much power, so go for the unit commonly used for mid power street applications. 250-300 Kw should be a ton of power for a street, more than enough to have some fun with the car too, and on top, VVT-i 1JZ is probably one of the best sounding 6 cylinders built.
E-GX81-AEPQF. 8E3, FB81

dom

Post by dom »

Yep i agree, go 1jzgte vvti. Do youself a favour and choose the engine which came out standard in these cars, that way you can easily get your hands on factory parts to make your conversion work. You'll run in to space issues with 2jzgte hitting the steering column, not to mention wiring.

You'll be more than happy with the power it puts out with in front of a manual box with exhaust/intercooler/air filter etc.

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

2jzgte is 60kgs heavier... something to keep in mind if you're thinking about balanced weight distribution. not that it's bad coz it's not, but it could affect the handling

I'm a bit biased on this but don't you love the sound of a high revving 2.5 straight six??

On a side note, you'd have to buy a half cut to convert yours as it's a GX100... ;)

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

dont have to purchase a half cut man

seessh talk about the most expensive way of doing things

just make sure the engine is a front sump 1jz and everything will be plug in andplay from there.....just get a jzx100 s1 or s2 computer wham bam thank you mam

things you will need are as follows

front sump 1jz
jzx100 ecu
tourer v radiator
tourer v fuel pump or bosch 044
afm ( some engines come with them others do not )
1jzgte ignitor ( i have a spare if needed )
inter cooler

most engines come with the power steering resivour allready on it, if not sxe10 altezza ones work a treat

cross members are the same

conversion takes less than two days providing you have all the correct parts, but fyii just be prepared t lose your A/c as the condensor and dryer have to be removed in some situations
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

gtivvl

Post by gtivvl »

most expensive? auto jzx100s are 12k ish, add a manual conversion to that and it goes to 16k ish thats if i do everyhing myself.

jap spares has a jzx100 engine and box for 6500, of which i can prob sell the manual conversion bits as i dont need em to make some money back?

so by my calculations it would cost just a lil more then 10k (incl cost of car) granted I can do it all myself. plus theres no cutting as my car is already manual so its a win win in my eyes? the only thing i may have to outsource is wiring prob

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

heres the deal, forget about the cost of the car, and what other jzx100 sell for trust me they are not getting what they want for them now days

wirring is easy
you un-plug one wiring loom and plug in the other wiring loom, existing dash+ 1jz engine harnes + existing body harnes + 1jz ecu = running car
there is no extra things involved here other than the fuel pump, its a bit of a bitch but once you have done it once its easy as if you have to do it again

there are cheaper engines out there, even if you have t wait for a few months out of japan its alot better than getting one within nz and paying a crap load for it hosnestly wouldnt pay any more than 1500 for a 1jzgte vvti out of japan, freight not inculded

if you are going to purchase the jap spares on for 6 odd tho, why sell the r154? you will be better off keeping it and selling all your other manual/auto crap what ever is in your gx100 and recooping money that way plus why do you need to cut things?

heres an example of what my converson cost me
1jzgte vvti $1250
afm $50
new tps $85
( only die to the fact my ts and afm where damaged so i replaced them )
radiator ( tourer v ) $100
fuel pump ( tourer v ) $90
tourer v ecu $200
intercooler $350
piping and exhaust $30 for a box of beers
random radiator .heater hoses etc 350

total $2500 ( there abouts )

i am not trying to sound like a mega cunt here ( even tho i kinda am coming across as one and i am sorry for that ) but honestly its an easy choice to make and an even easier swap to do

if you need any help feel free to pm me and ask questions i can show you some things to make your converson way easy

rgds
jarred
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

gtivvl

Post by gtivvl »

i wouldnt sell the box, just the other crap such as pedal box, clutch master and lines and dash cluster. In addition id also sell my w55. Just speculation at the moment waiting for xmas where im off for a month and can have it off the road.

If i import an engine for J-land it would prob cost me what yours cost plus, mounts, w to jz bellhousing and uprated clutch for w series.

oh and the cutting thing would be if I had started with the auto tourer s like I used to have id have to do some cutting to accomodate the remote shifter. my new car being manual already this doesnt need to be done as it has a remote shift w55.

ryanfels

Post by ryanfels »

You could get a 2jzgte motor landed for $2500 if you keep an eye out. ive seen 1jzgte VVTI conversions go for as little as $1000 in japan.

gtivvl

Post by gtivvl »

ryanfels wrote:You could get a 2jzgte motor landed for $2500 if you keep an eye out. ive seen 1jzgte VVTI conversions go for as little as $1000 in japan.
Yeah i know just weighing up the options at the moment as a 2jz would require mods to the turbo manifolds to clear steering and clutch master , while the 1jz would require neither.