GX81 5MT swap

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
Hachi-ichi

GX81 5MT swap

Post by Hachi-ichi »

I am converting my E-GX81 MARK II sedan from A340E-> W55 in the next few weeks, I am making a thread here asking if someone could give me a checklist of all parts im going to need, and then I will check the parts I have off. I am doing it as a cross check because I haven't done a 5MT swap before so I am turning to some people with experience in them.

I will be getting an MA70 Manual rear drive shaft in a few days so thats the drive shaft sorted.
Will a GZ10's clutch line work for GX81 MARK II sedan?
also are there any ways of getting hand brake cable legally done without having to buy one off a factory Manual MX83 or 5MT GX81?.
Also what must I do to my Auto ECU to make it a manual one (cutting wire wise)
Thanks for your replies in advance
E-GX81-AEPQF. 8E3, FB81

Jonno2002

Re: GX81 5MT swap

Post by Jonno2002 »

its not the rear half of the driveshaft you need its the front half,

a ga70 supra front half will work, otherwise your going to need to get your driveshaft lengthened cause finding a manual front half for x8 is hard. i had both mine lengthened it doesnt cost too much. your auto yoke should fit the w55 too.

i have a handbrake for sale if you want it but dont have the interior surround for it, $80 + freight if you want it, easy enough to install just have to grind a hole in the tunnel and drill 2 holes for mounting bolts.

as for pedals supra and soarer WILL NOT FIT, you'll have to find x* pedals, ive heard of a camry pedal being used so maybe have a hunt around pickapart or a wreckers, i myself have used lx80 manual pedals each time as they arent too hard to find.

z10 clutch line might work but will prob need a bit of tweaking, not hard to bend 1 up from scratch anyway

G bell and fly arent hard to find but i recommend getting the box/fork/release bearing carrier etc all in 1 as they can be a bitch to match up being different lengths etc, i had to space out a slave cyl once cause the fork was too long on a mates conversion.

as for wiring thats easy, there is a 3pin plug where the auto gearbox loom joins the motor loom with a thick black/blue and black/white (from memory) which just need joining with a simple spade-spade terminal patch wire. easy as!

think thats the lot, let me know if you get stuck anyway

Hachi-ichi

Post by Hachi-ichi »

ok so a GA70 front half works, what about an MA70 front half, will that work? because I can buy one asap
As for the handbrake, I have one, just need the cable. If you have the cable then I will buy it.
Ill go to pick a part sometime for a look round for Clutch Pedals.
My W55 is of a GZ10 and came with G bell and fly and clutch assembly so thats all good.
anything else I should be worried about from memory?
Thanks
E-GX81-AEPQF. 8E3, FB81

Jonno2002

Post by Jonno2002 »

ma70 front half will have the bigger yoke so no

u dont need a handbrake cable it connects in the same place as the foot 1 if you look

Hachi-ichi

Post by Hachi-ichi »

Good news!
Got ma GA70 front shaft, (yet to ship)
E-GX81-AEPQF. 8E3, FB81

Jonno2002

Post by Jonno2002 »

ull just have to change the hanger bearing over from your x8 driveshaft and your away

Hachi-ichi

Post by Hachi-ichi »

Took apart my centre console today and removed the foot brake setup. All there is now is a cable coming out of the centre hump with an attachment on the end. Im wondering if I will have to get a shorter cable to go from the equalizer to the hand brake, or use the current one and wind it up somewhere.
E-GX81-AEPQF. 8E3, FB81

Jonno2002

Post by Jonno2002 »

no you disconnect the footbrake cable from the rear cable under the car, then you cut a hole for the handbrake and the rod on the handbrake connects to the rear cable.

Jonno2002

Post by Jonno2002 »

here u go i found a photo of 1 of my handbrake installs:

Hachi-ichi

Post by Hachi-ichi »

Yeah im learning slowly, I have a GZ10 handbrake so instead of a rod, I need a cable (46410), a GX81 hand brake uses a rod like yours and the Rod end is threaded compared to the GZ10's cable which is "clipped". So I am going to have to either buy the CABLE 46410 and have the end changed from a clip to a threaded end, or get the cable made up with the respective ends. Possibly by Autostop.

GZ10 Hand brake setup (I have this hand brake)

GX81 hand brake ( you have this one ) the ends are different and GZ10 doesn't use a "Rod" with threaded end, it uses a cable, so im going to have to buy the cable and get a threaded end fitted. OR get the cable made from scratch OR get a GX81 handbrake.

EDIT: just bought 46410 CABLE and some bits with it.
E-GX81-AEPQF. 8E3, FB81