Engine Swap Questions

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
Hoadster

Engine Swap Questions

Post by Hoadster »

Alright guys, tomorrow I'm gonna be going and picking up my new ride: 1997 GX100 Toyota Mark II Grande 5-Speed!! It's still pretty stock right now with the 1G-FE 2.0 Liter Inline 6, but it already has coilovers, 17" wheels, exhaust and intake. I have plans of doing an engine swap: either a 1JZ- or 2JZ-GTE. Which would ya'll suggest? Obviously the 2JZ has a bigger engine displacement, but around Okinawa, they're damn hard to come by! Have any of you made this swap, or know if it is just a straight swap? Or will I need to modify more on the car in order to make it work? Thanks ahead for the help!!!!

gtivvl

Re: Engine Swap Questions

Post by gtivvl »

seen some decently priced 1jz/2jz on yahoo auctions....surely internal shipping wont be too much

i mean heres http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u32443004 one from a x100 tourer v which is 80,000 which id say is pretty cheap, but ive seen cheaper ones.

2jzs are about double that price for aristo ones anyway. dont even ask about jza80 ones cause they cost an arm and a leg

fyi, if i was in japan id prob not even consider doing a swap and get a genuine 5 spd tourer v, which are rare but they do exist and not even at the over inflated prices in NZ either

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Yeah, i thought about going that route. I actually have an automatic JZX90 Mark II Tourer V that im selling. I would rather do an engine swap, its cheaper for me.

Alex

Post by Alex »

my idea, keep it NA,
ITBS, nos? or if you want some boost just sc14 supercharge it!
be different :D

gtivvl

Post by gtivvl »

n/a 1g-fe even with supercharger wouldnt even make as much power as a 1jz-ge lol......just swap engines and sell ur newly auto gx90 mark II lol. you prob just would need to buy a jz bellhousing, cause I think those gx100 manuals come with a w55 remote shift

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Okay, best deal ive found yet: 1JZ-GTE VVT-i from a Crown Athlete V JZS-171, $400.

My only question is, can I still swap that into my GX100 Mark II?? Ive searched online, and couldnt find any info. regarding this swap. It seems like it'd still just be plug and play..

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

just got to make sure its a front sump 1jzgte, as im sure the crowns are mid sump or rear sump ( can purchase replacment front sump parts from your local toyota dealer over in jay pan for peanuts same with jza80 four pots fyi )

the 1jzgte vvti will slide straight in mate, ( trust me it was a conversion i have done my self over two days ) just get all your eggs in your basket before you start, intercooler turboed radiator

i have seen some vvti 1jzgte out of x100s for cheap on yahoo jp, either way the looms are all basicly the same plus or minus one or two plugs

ecu is another biggy unless you go with an after market item ( make sure the engine comes with the afm )

cross member is the same on gx100 and jzx100 just go get new mounts

very very simple swap over

nigel ( lofreq ) will have to give you the heads up on a 2jz swap into a gx100 tho

also fyi if you need i have ecu pin outs in a PDF file if you run into issues with teh swap
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Alrighgt guys, I know ive been indecisive with this, but ive finally made up my mind with the engine swap. My 1JZ-GTE JZX90 that I was selling is acting up, so I need to pull then engine anyway, so im just gonna use my x90 for the swap, sell off all the other parts, and junk the body. Any pointers for this??

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

label everything before you start if its your first time doing this

other than that its all hit and miss
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut