stalling issue

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
kindaflush

stalling issue

Post by kindaflush »

hi all.
finally completed my manual conversion on my jzx100. it runs fine just sometimes coming up to lights it stalls, it seems to smoke when it is going to stall. if i nanner it, it sometimes goes to idle fine, but especially after coming down from higher revs it stalls. It has a atmos venting b.o.v, that ive tightened up, but didnt help at all. was on there before conversion also.
ive heard of people connecting wires to make it think its in 2nd, i havnt done this yet, if anyone can say if that will make a positive difference with anything will be great too.
thanks.

dom

Re: stalling issue

Post by dom »

I had a similar issue on mine after the manual conversion. Adjust your idle up if you haven't yet, autos are factory set at like 600rpm and manuals at 800rpm iirc.

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

mine stalls from 1st cold start, idles real low 500rpm-ish or less and smokey (black smoke from over rich), will run like that for about 5 min then usually stall at the next lights

turn off motor, turn back on, instantly smoke is gone, idle back up to 800ish rpm, all normal. ive just gotten used to starting my car twice if from cold.

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

mine does that too.

apparently Manual ECU fixes it as the auto ecu idles too low.

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

from memory i think you have to put the ecu into limp mode or in diagnostic mode to re adjust the idle, as when you fiddle with it to get it how you want it, switch the car off and it goes back to normal

has with mine, just something i remember a mate at toyota telling me..........was half pissed at the time and may have completly miss herd him
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

kindaflush

Post by kindaflush »

have any of you manual folk crossed the wires to make it think its in 2nd? read somewhere that helps. had the mechanic change idle up today but havnt driven it since. if anyone has feedback on the tricking it into 2nd idea thatll be great. thanks

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

kindaflush wrote:have any of you manual folk crossed the wires to make it think its in 2nd? read somewhere that helps. had the mechanic change idle up today but havnt driven it since. if anyone has feedback on the tricking it into 2nd idea thatll be great. thanks
I've heard of people doing this too. There's info on the JZXWorld forums I think
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

Jonno2002

Post by Jonno2002 »

o so this is a common issue, mine idles really low when warm too, thought my IACV was poked but maybe not, do let us know if you find a fix

dom

Post by dom »

My car hasnt stalled for over a year, not even when cold. After my conversion I gave that ICV a good clean out with degreaser/brakecleen/crc etc and raised the idle up to 800rpm. I am still running the factory bov though but also have a aftermarket one in the system which is done up pretty tight. I found without the factory bov hooked up my car would run rich as hell and reek of gas whenever I stopped at the lights.

I have read about the 2nd gear wire up as well but havent seen any solid proof of it changing anything - I think its just speculation?

kindaflush

Post by kindaflush »

i had the idle turned up and doesnt stall now, it seems to be idleing at 1000 to 1100 rpm when stoped for short periods, havnt tryed for longer, it does drop down to 900 or 800 when stopping, but jumps up again, ill try the 2nd gear trick and give some feedback in the next few days.