New guy's downpipe install

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
Hoadster

New guy's downpipe install

Post by Hoadster »

Hey guys, im new to this forum, a friend recommended i join though, so here i am. I have a 94 Mark II jzx90 1jz-gte, auto, with just lite mods for now. I recently bought a downpipe i plan on istalling soon. I just wanted to know if any of you have done this, and if so, did you run into any problems or have any advice for my install? This is the first time ive done this, so im just kinda wingin it at the moment. I already got all the gaskets and whatnot though, so that should be all i need? Thanks for the help!

archon

Re: New guy's downpipe install

Post by archon »

Downpipe as in from the factory Y piece or twin dumps replacing the Y piece?

First is quite easy to install, soak nuts in WD40 etc, use 6pt socket and undo 3 nuts at top, 2 at the bottom.

Second one is a complete b*tch of a job.

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Just the first one, for now. Will i need to remove anything to reach the 3 bolt flange? Or should it be just a straight shot, reaching in there? Also, ive heard stories of people snapping those bolts. I dont imagine theres really any way to prevent that, aside from using wd40 or the like?

archon

Post by archon »

You shouldn't have to remove anything, but will need an extension to get up there.

I've never had an issue with snapping stuff but have pulled a whole stud out a couple of times. If you saturate it with wd40 you shouldn't have an issue (either nut or stud will give up first), but definitely use a quality 6 point socket.
I nearly rounded one off doing it manually then ended up buying a cordless impact wrench to get it off - if they feel like they're going to turn the heads I'd leave it to an impact gun as they'd be a bastard to split if you had to.

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Ive got access to an impact wrench, so im def gonna use that!! Thanks man!

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Alright, the downpipe is on, and i gotta say, its pretty sick to hear the turbo whistle when it spools up :D Just one problem though! I feel like there's a leak right where the dp connects to the factory y-pipe...Guess its time for another upgrade!! Any of you guys done this before? Just looking up there, i can tell ill have to remove some stuff. What stuff is the question.

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Come on guys, i need some help here! Are there any alternatives to the stock y-pipe while still maintaining the stock turbos? Or will i be better off buying a new stock y-pipe? OR....should i just suck it up, drop the cash and go all out: turbo, manifold, piping, the works :twisted:

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

I'm not sure on this whole y-pipe thing cause my car's n/a. But you say it's leaking... did you make sure both mating surfaces were completely flat before installing your downpipe? Was there a gasket in between them? And if so, did you replace it?

No point replacing the y-pipe if you don't have to. Unless you want to upgrade of course, in which case surely a local shop that does exhaust/fabrication work would be able to make something up easily enough?
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

archon

Post by archon »

Does the new downpipe use the factory gasket system? (Coil of curved stainless sitting on the top of the downpipe and fitting into recess within the y piece). Did you put the gasket back?

Ebay is packed with TT 1jzgte Y pieces and downpipes, I fitted a set to my old JZZ30. You basically need to remove the turbos to swap it, set aside a whole weekend if you're doing it yourself.