1JZ-GE unusual vibration

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
2win2rbo

1JZ-GE unusual vibration

Post by 2win2rbo »

I have a 1JZ-GE (217,000km) which vibrates a bit and I initially suspected the engine mounts. The vibration goes stronger with the air conditioner on.

Just to get opinions, I had them checked at 3 different garages. They all said that the engine mounts are OK. I wouldn't be surprised because I have test driven a Mark II with the same engine but had 300,000+km on it and the engine ran smoothly (the car might have been bought by somebody from this forum, by the way). I visually checked the mounts myself and found no cracks, although the rubber surrounding the bolt part may be loose, but I have to proof to this.

There isn't any smoke coming out of the tailpipe, especially at idle.

Another mechanic said that if that is the case, there may be a slight misfire on one of the cylinders but it's not as strong because of the fact that straight 6 engines are generally smooth to rev.

Has anyone encountered this?

What are your opinions? I'm asking this forum because I assume that most of you have been around straight 6s for a while.
1993 トヨタ クレスタ TOURER S JZX90

FLAWLES

Re: 1JZ-GE unusual vibration

Post by FLAWLES »

does it only do it idle? when the a/c is on?
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

Ventourer

Post by Ventourer »

Flawles ur right, what revs is it doing at idle? maybe the idle up motor isnt working correctly. im guessing it has one?? it should increase the idle speed when the a/c turns on so it dosent struggle and shake like a diesel tractor

2win2rbo

Post by 2win2rbo »

FLAWLES wrote:does it only do it idle? when the a/c is on?
It vibrates slightly at idle and just a bit when being revved. I sort of feel that with the gas pedal.

When the A/C is on it vibrates even more even though the rev is increased.

The idle with the A/C off is at 750 to 770 RPM. When the A/C is on it goes up to about 1000 RPM.

archon

Post by archon »

I'd test the resistance of ignition leads, add some new plugs (go with coppers to keep costs down while you're problem solving) and a compression test while you're in there.

2win2rbo

Post by 2win2rbo »

archon wrote:I'd test the resistance of ignition leads, add some new plugs (go with coppers to keep costs down while you're problem solving) and a compression test while you're in there.
The mechanics actually suspect the plugs/leads. I might just go check the plugs myself even though most of my tools are in Auckland.

I will keep you guys updated. Thanks.

Edit: I just found out that the recommended spark plug for the engine is BKR5EP-11, which is a platinum.

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

dont have to use platinum's dude

what chassis is it? jzx90? etc version 1jzge?

another cause can be the injectors, with abit of crap stuck in them they will not open correctly and cause a small miss fire either at idle or under load

simple solution for this is shoot in to your local toyota dealership and ask for there insanly good injector cleaner ( change fuel filter after wards ) and run that through a tank of fuel see if that has improved the issue

or

get them ultra sonicly cleaned

do what others have already stated test the leads and replace the plugs ( gap them correctly )

falling all that pull the throttle body off and clean it in and around all teh ports as well as the stepper motor or the ICV ( idle control valve ) depending on what you wana call it

all in all at idle you should be able to balance a two dollar coin on the rocker cover with out it rolling off

rgds
jarred
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

2win2rbo

Post by 2win2rbo »

Update:

The plugs are platinum and are properly gapped.

The HT wires are good and are relatively new. They were changed in 2004 by one of the previous owners.

The injectors are fine. I had them checked.

The vibration is coming from the mounts. They are not completely broken but the small relatively soft blips/crests which are attached to the alloy part have collapsed already, so there is not much shock absorption anymore. That's according to a mechanic asked for an opinion. There is just a thin rubbery material separating the alloy part connected to the engine and the steel casing holding most of the rubber part. I sort of compared that to the new mounts that I have been looking at.

I am just not sure if there is supposed to be a blip at the top of the mount. Aren't the engine mounts just pure rubber?

DoriBippu

Post by DoriBippu »

Sounds like a very strange problem your having there mate.

Are you sure your timing belt hasnt jumped a tooth or something? When was the last time someone was in there?

Engine mounts are not solid rubber at all, normally theres only 2-3 small contact points in the mount. The rest is open space, which may be filled with very thin rubber from the mould when it was made.

Hope you get to the bottom of it quickily.
2000 JZX110 Mark2 I-RV

2win2rbo

Post by 2win2rbo »

DoriBippu wrote:Sounds like a very strange problem your having there mate.

Are you sure your timing belt hasnt jumped a tooth or something? When was the last time someone was in there?

Engine mounts are not solid rubber at all, normally theres only 2-3 small contact points in the mount. The rest is open space, which may be filled with very thin rubber from the mould when it was made.

Hope you get to the bottom of it quickily.
No, it hasn't jumped a tooth. Timing is perfect.

Yes, I have just researched that the engine mount is a "damper" setup filled with glycol. My engine mounts have collapsed because it leaked all the glycol it had before. The good thing is that the mounts are still supportive, so there is no rush to replace them. Glycol-filled mounts are really good at eliminating the vibration and the harmonics caused by internal combustion.