Running rough (extreme missing)

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
Bosozoku_GX71

Running rough (extreme missing)

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

Hey guys got a problem, drove my car to work, pulled in, drove 100 metres up the road, drove back to work, as i stopped it sounded really weird, like it was just missing a little bit so i went back home and by the time i got home it sounded and felt like it was running on about 3 cylinders. WTF! Might be my taped up coil to distributor lead but im going away tomorrow and i cbf with it till i get back. Just wondering if anyone has heard of that before or if it definatly just my lead. i have a new one to put in so il try that when i get back.
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71

PSIBRG

Re: Running rough (extreme missing)

Post by PSIBRG »

Bosozoku_GX71 wrote:WTF! Might be my taped up coil to distributor lead.
I'd say it's definitely this! :lol:
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

Jonno2002

Post by Jonno2002 »

lol you still havent put that lead in, i sold that to you like 6 months ago didnt i?

Bosozoku_GX71

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

Yea ive been lazy as shit. Plus i didnt want to fuck with it while it still worked fine. Clearly time to fix it.
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71

Bosozoku_GX71

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

Put the new lead in, still runs shit as! Time for the auto electrician im thinking
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Interesting. If your leads are really old, more than one of them could've broken down. Not really possible to tell just by looking at them (although if they're really bad, have a look at them with the engine running at night and you might see spark escaping from them, definitely time for a new set if this is the case)

Washed the engine bay lately? Water in spark plug holes maybe..

Check your dizzy cap for cracks and carbon/moisture buildup, clean it if needed (not sure how really, never owned a distributor equipped car till now, Google will probably tell you) and check that the rotor is in good shape.

If you have no record of the plugs/leads/cap/rotor being replaced, and/or they look old, it's not a bad idea to treat the car to new ones anyway, shouldn't cost you too much if you buy through Nick/Peter at NST.
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

ryanfels

Post by ryanfels »

Does it sound like its running on 5 cylinders or is it a really randomly timed miss?

Bosozoku_GX71

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

PSIBRG wrote:Interesting. If your leads are really old, more than one of them could've broken down. Not really possible to tell just by looking at them (although if they're really bad, have a look at them with the engine running at night and you might see spark escaping from them, definitely time for a new set if this is the case)

Washed the engine bay lately? Water in spark plug holes maybe..

Check your dizzy cap for cracks and carbon/moisture buildup, clean it if needed (not sure how really, never owned a distributor equipped car till now, Google will probably tell you) and check that the rotor is in good shape.

If you have no record of the plugs/leads/cap/rotor being replaced, and/or they look old, it's not a bad idea to treat the car to new ones anyway, shouldn't cost you too much if you buy through Nick/Peter at NST.
Yea i dont have any records of anything cause the engine is from Slipway but i have a feeling it is all pretty old. But i havent washed it or anything. It could be old leads anyway. But its definatly not running on all cylinders, could be a lead so im guna just take them out one by one and see if i can find out which cylinder it is.
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71

ryanfels

Post by ryanfels »

It could be something as simple as needing new spark plugs

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

have you tested the resistance of the leads?
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut