Boost Controllers

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
FLAWLES

Boost Controllers

Post by FLAWLES »

who is running one?
and what type/brand are you using?

would like to here pros and cons of some brands

i currenty have a HKS EVC-S have done for about a year, its a single soleniod type with a rather hard to use and set up controller, does look flash tho, and the warning beeps are super loud, but i hate it, i get error codes on it every day, driving me insane, all to do with the soleniod not handling the boost ( assuming ), but the kit comes with two in line filters that go in the vaccum lines, which act as a small water trap stopping condenstation and crap going through the soleniod and actuator,
but i still dont like it, mabe if i wasnt so dutch i would have gotten the hks evc -5 which is a way better unit

but want it gone so i can get another blitz sbc id II

pior to that i have had a Blitz SBC - id II
was a dual soleniod unit with a simple as the hills controller, had all the bells and whistels on, with good settings and a sweet scramble setting, too, the display is nice and big, warring buzzer isnt to loud but the screen flashes red in your face and grabs your attention
it would be the best bang for buck controller out there imo, easy to use, looks good and had great results from it
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

PSIBRG

Re: Boost Controllers

Post by PSIBRG »

I ran a Gizzmo once upon a time. Could never get it working the way I wanted, so I switched to a Greddy Profec Type S. Bloody good controller, nothing crazy, no annoying screen to deal with, just good old fashioned dials.

But even that annoyed me sometimes. Still got it in the car at the moment but not hooked up to anything. Nowadays I just use an O.G. Greddy TVVC manual controller. One dial, set it and forget it. I like the simplicity although it's probably not everyone's style. Works alot better than the shit as trademe bleed valves though, genuine ftw!

JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

shweatypox

Post by shweatypox »

I had this discussion with someone and they mentioned the EVC-III or higher. I got the EVC-III but am yet to install it :(

Jayzedex100

Post by Jayzedex100 »

Yea I had that same HKS controller. I thought it sucked also. Too many modes and other unneeded crap, when you only want it to do one thing.

If I buy a b/c again, it'll be a Blitz Dual SBC Spec S or Spec R (depending how much boost I need/want). I've seen GTR's and other massive budget cars running them, which I think says a lot (when they could've just bought the most expensive etc).

New in black too: http://www.blitzpowerusa.com/products/d ... c_blk.html

crux

Post by crux »

Now, I'm all about buying genuine JDM stuff, however boost controllers from Japan are a tad overpriced...
I'm just using a GFB Atomic boost tap. Have used so in my Silvia race car with no issues ever. No boost spiking. Holds boost steady. And it's not like I'm going to change the boost all the time. Have the same in the Chaser and the boost holds solid but drops off 1psi because the turbo is running out of puff. Can't see why I'd use anything else really... but I guess it's up to you.

As to previous ones I've used. I've used the boost control unit that comes with the PowerFC which is pretty good. As well as the Blitz Dual S and R. They all worked perfectly fine, but as I said previously, I don't really see the point of changing boost all the time heh.

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

I've had an Atomic too until my ex flatmate stole it :roll: worked bloody good for a cheap controller. Not all genuine stuff has to be from Japan, GFB make some pretty good shit!
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

ch4sernz

Post by ch4sernz »

Ive got an old blitz dual sbc in my chaser, runs solid, simple set up, never had an issue.

Dont know which model it is though... could prolly look at it

Logan

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

Jayzedex100 wrote:Yea I had that same HKS controller. I thought it sucked also. Too many modes and other unneeded crap, when you only want it to do one thing.

If I buy a b/c again, it'll be a Blitz Dual SBC Spec S or Spec R (depending how much boost I need/want). I've seen GTR's and other massive budget cars running them, which I think says a lot (when they could've just bought the most expensive etc).

New in black too: http://www.blitzpowerusa.com/products/d ... c_blk.html
have to agree
i s13 that i me and a mate bulit up is running one of those with no issues at all

i think personly the hks one is to fidly and hard to set up 100% correctly,

blitz hands down, i may take it off and just roll a boost tap ( gah ) intill i can afford the blitz sbc
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

Mike

Post by Mike »

i run a EVC-S with no issues, is abit fiddly to set up but seems to be working ok.