takin out an engine

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
PowderJZX

takin out an engine

Post by PowderJZX »

how long does it take to take out the whole engine + all the bits and pieces?
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

lofreq

Re: takin out an engine

Post by lofreq »

jack up, jack stands. drain oil, water. 20min
remove bumper, misc engine covers, bottom undertrays etc. 20min
remove radiator and hoses. brake booster and other vac lines. 10min
remove/unplug all wiring loom, plugs, battery, starter motor/alternator rah rah. 30min
unplug/remove powersteering lines, aircon, drain/bleed etc. 30min
detach fuel lines, driveshaft yoke, driveshaft xmember. gb oil? 20min
remove exhaust. probably hardest part. ???min
pull motor. find other shit that you forgot to pull. deal to it. try to pull again, repeat. 30min

usually id say pulling an engine can be done with 2 people and the right gear, in about 2hrs to 4hrs. and this is the easiest part of the whole thing - its always easier to rip things out - then you start making lists for shit to go back in.... heh.

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

oh hahahaha shooooottt nige. lots of work T_T to be done haha.. just asked few people who might be jkeen to help me out - i can cover engine crane and all those tools but yea.. need somone who knows the engine :D
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Jake

Post by Jake »

lofreq wrote:pull motor. find other shit that you forgot to pull. deal to it. try to pull again, repeat. 30min
Haha so true. :lol:

Personally I found it easier to unplug the loom from the computer, and push it thru the firewall and leave it all attached to the motor. This is on 1j.

Just get stuck in and do it. You cant fuck things too bad. Thats how i learnt haha trial and error :mrgreen:

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

lofreq wrote:pull motor. find other shit that you forgot to pull. deal to it. try to pull again, repeat. 30min
Haha oh so true. Be careful with this bit, first time I did this I got a bit excited and ended up breaking plugs off the loom and a few other things :lol:
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

ryanfels

Post by ryanfels »

Its easy as shit to take a motor out, you could do it after work one day if you wanted.
Ive found that no matter how long you spend trying to drain you box and engine, always have a container ready when lifting it up as there is always still more fluid in there

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

But for someone who has never done it before it can be pretty daunting to say the least. Basically take it step by step, do one thing at a time and you can't go wrong really.
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

yeah its the easiest and most fun part, ripping shit off and yanking the block out.

its only after that its all uphill. like not properly cataloging the items you disconnected, what bolts they were secured with, in what order, where you put the bolts and connectors, what you loosened unnecessarily that you then forgot to tighten later, etc etc

so i suggest having as much fun as possible ripping the motor out cus after that its all blood tears and $0 bank balances

MrOizo

Post by MrOizo »

lofreq wrote:...like not properly cataloging the items you disconnected, what bolts they were secured with, in what order, where you put the bolts and connectors, what you loosened unnecessarily that you then forgot to tighten later, etc etc...
I have taken many engines out and the best thing i do is if you remove something, try put the bolts, nuts back wher you got them from. Its easy to find where something went but its hard as fuck to find where a certain bolt went. finding out the hard way is never fun! :)

TOYWGN

Post by TOYWGN »

MrOizo wrote:
lofreq wrote:...like not properly cataloging the items you disconnected, what bolts they were secured with, in what order, where you put the bolts and connectors, what you loosened unnecessarily that you then forgot to tighten later, etc etc...
I have taken many engines out and the best thing i do is if you remove something, try put the bolts, nuts back wher you got them from. Its easy to find where something went but its hard as fuck to find where a certain bolt went. finding out the hard way is never fun! :)

2nd that!!
Jzx100 Tourer V!!!!!

"The butthole was made for shitting, the pussy was made for hitting."