Oil leaks

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
PSIBRG

Oil leaks

Post by PSIBRG »

Hey guys,

I've noticed both my Mark II's have oil stains here:

I haven't dug into it yet, just thought i'd post it up in case someone knows exactly where this came from... considering both my cars do it, thought it might be a common problem?
Only thing I can see that could really cause this is the bolt right at the end of the rocker cover?

And this oily wetness on the pipe pre-throttlebody. How the hell does that get there? :|

JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

speedracer_nz

Re: Oil leaks

Post by speedracer_nz »

The one at your throttle body will most likely be from your rocker cover breather pipes as this is normal recirc. back through the inlet pipe. A oil catch can would fix this. Also I would check those throttle body/gasket as it may be shagged also (cracked,etc). The one at the back of the head will be from that bolt at the rear with the rubber collar under it, they go nasty hard with old age and oil has this amazing ability to "crawl" everywhere even if its a small amount. A new rocker gasket and seals around those bolts will fix that. Quite often you will see oil crawl UP the side of the engine from leaky sump seal. "explain that mr gravity" :ugeek:

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Ahh sweet, that's just the kinda answer I was after!

Will probably just give the throttle body a good clean up, replace the gasket and leave it as is, don't really want to spend on a catch can for the shitty old 1GFE haha. Might just chuck a little inline filter like this in there, see if it makes a difference

What is the purpose of that particular bolt on the rocker cover? I also notice it's a little wet around the oil cap, so probably got a leaky oil cap seal too. Might pull the rocker cover off, give it a clean up and maybe a coat of silver/black paint.. whatever i've got lying around I guess, replace the main gasket and little seals etc and see how we go. Trying not to spend too much on this motor since i'll be replacing it with something better sometime... but want to keep it reliable and running nicely in the meantime.

On another note, when I start the engine from cold, the oil pressure light stays on for 1-2 seconds before it goes off. Oil level is fine (though it's a bit old, will be giving it a good service this weekend), but is this considered normal/okay? I'm used to my 4G63, which builds normal pressure within about 3 cranks (i.e. the light goes out before the engine even starts).
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

speedracer_nz

Post by speedracer_nz »

I wouldn't bother with the filter thingy, just clean all the breather lines out and replace the gaskets on the rocker cover/throttle body (crc braklean is you friend). Thats normal for your oil light, I imagine it has a few kays on it and it most likely gets "thrashed" so the bearing clearances will probably be a little looser then when it drove off the factory floor :lol: . Wouldn't worry about it at all.
That bolt just holds the cover down, it may be locating something beneath it also.
Yeah the 2jz's suffer from leaky oil cap too. If its the same style of cap there is a big rubber washer underneath the cap which goes like concrete but I would say it would have to be genuine toyota to get that part.