Auto gearbox question..

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
Alex

Auto gearbox question..

Post by Alex »

hey guys, after getting abit jaded with the price of manual conversions,
I'm thinking of either upgrading my auto with a shift kit etc.. highstall..
or the other option is maybe swapping to a turbo supra auto box, as I hear they are a fair bit stronger..
is that true? technically they are a very similar box, but from what I have heard they were built to handle more power.

Also would there be many issues with changing gearboxes? as the x100 box is computer controlled etc..
is the supra box the same?

any help would be mucho grande

l SIC l

Re: Auto gearbox question..

Post by l SIC l »

Mate, there shouldn't be any difference between the NA and TT Supra box eh... I've had a 'NA auto aerotop Supra' and a 'TT RZ-s auto Supra' - both ran the same A340E box, so no, the TT box isn't any stronger than the NA box unfortunately. The automatic Supra A340E box is good for 400 horsepower though ;)
1995 Toyota Supra - Twin-turbo - 6-speed - Aerotop
No ABS. No Traction Control.

l SIC l

Post by l SIC l »

You could pick up a decent W58 NA Supra manual 5-speed box for around $800-$1,000 if you want... but then you need the clutch (stock is fine for a while), tranny tunnel, diff, pedal assembly, flywheel, shifter surround, wiring harness, drivetrain, etc. etc.

So as you can see, it is the supporting parts that are the pain in the ass.

EDIT: When you say computer controlled (for the manual W58 at least), take into account that most of the old-school V8s are running these gearboxes :)

Alex

Post by Alex »

hey man, yeah the w58 probably isn't going to be a viable option,
it can handle a fair bit but with the power im going for it will be toast.

My car is going to be street / occasional drag , and maybe the odd trackday.
r154 is going to cost me around 3k for a conversion kit, and another 2k labour.

i figure if i can either strengthen my auto and have a mild highstall it will fullfill my needs :)
i heard the supra boxes were stronger than the x chassis.. but might just be internet rumours.

l SIC l

Post by l SIC l »

The only Supra box that deserves commendation is of course the 6-speed GETRAG eh, the 5-speed and auto box are both rated for 400 horsepower max (give or take) - I would trust the 5-speed more though with a decent clutch.

If you want the best value, then it would cost you probably 4k to have your current auto box strengthened to handle the power and abuse you will be giving it... for a little bit more though you could have a manual box in there (although having the R154 without modifying the 2nd and 4th gear thrust-washers and under the same abuse could just lead to a broken gearbox). So you can see that you may need to spend another few grand getting that done on top of the conversion... if you don't mind automatic, then hi-stalling/strengthening your existing box will probably be the way to go.

Churr.

archon

Post by archon »

From what I remember the Supra ecu controls the line pressure on the auto, the earlier 1j autos (z30 Soarer etc) use a cable attached to the throttle linkage - but I have heard of someone bolting the 1j auto valvebody into the 2j box to keep the cable line pressure control. Also need a custom drive shaft.

I would get the valve body modded (shift kit) and a big cooler. Hi stall is arguable depending on what turbo you plan to run and how much of a daily driver it will be, plus you can do the valve body and cooler without taking the box off. With a kit and cooler it should hold 220rwkw+ before you need uprated clutches and bands.

l SIC l wrote:Mate, there shouldn't be any difference between the NA and TT Supra box eh... I've had a 'NA auto aerotop Supra' and a 'TT RZ-s auto Supra' - both ran the same A340E box, so no, the TT box isn't any stronger than the NA box unfortunately. The automatic Supra A340E box is good for 400 horsepower though ;)
There are many variants of the A340e box unfortunately. And it's the first gear thrust washer that is the major weakness of the R154.

Sam

Post by Sam »

Alex wrote: r154 is going to cost me around 3k for a conversion kit, and another 2k labour.
It's not that hard to do a manual conversion.

Did mine myself, all you need are stock parts and everything pretty much bolts in. you may just need to drill a hole in your firewall for clutch cylinder or pedal.

l SIC l

Post by l SIC l »

Archon: Yeah, I was just talking from the basic experience I've had with the Supra options, I am in no knowledge of any other options apart from Supras hehe... I know that Avi's R154 remote shift in his 400+kw Supra had modified 2nd and 4th gear as he told me they were the main weaknesses of the gearbox and also the guy who sells the non-remote shift ones on TradeMe mentioned 4th gear being the weak point. Once again, I just go off what I've been told :)

Alex

Post by Alex »

I have heard its only a weekend job if you know what your doing ( r154 conversion )
with the right parts of course.

turbo is a garrett T04z and looking at wanting around 350 - 400 kw tune,
probably will run a lower boost setting for 300 kw for day to day.

Sam

Post by Sam »

Alex wrote:I have heard its only a weekend job if you know what your doing ( r154 conversion )
with the right parts of course.

turbo is a garrett T04z and looking at wanting around 350 - 400 kw tune,
probably will run a lower boost setting for 300 kw for day to day.

Yeah shouldn't take too long.

The only hassle of conversions are finding the small bits and pieces like clutch lines. If you get all factory shit it only takes a few minutes to connect up. Buy a conversion kit all at once, dont look for small parts individually.

It's easy as. Unbolt Autobox / disconnect plugs etc. Drill holes bolt pedals and clutch cylinder in, put gearbox in, attach slave cylinder and lines, plug in plugs. away you go.

Hi stall auto - nigga please!

You may need to wire the inhibitor switch from the auto wiring so that it tricks the car that it's in park all the time so you can start it. otherwise it wont crank over and fire.