Auto gearbox question..

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
Alex

Re: Auto gearbox question..

Post by Alex »

maybe once i get the money you could help me do it..
haha. beers provided for services :P

Looonie

Post by Looonie »

Alex: Get a manual conversion kit out of Japan. There are marginally cheaper ways to do it but I've been watching for nearly a year now and they don't save you much money at all. Easiest to just get a straight up full conversion kit when one comes up at a good price.

Then it really is just a weekend job, I'll help out if you want. No need for drilling firewall or anything as the holes should already be there just covered with rubber grommets.

Will completely unleash the car!

dom

Post by dom »

I got a conversion kit when I done mine and it was a pretty painless exercise apart from a few hiccups which you will know to avoid after I tell you. Mine only took a weekend and I done it on axle stands on my driveway.

Watch out for conversion kits which come from a jzx90. Although they mostly work, you will need to change a few things:

jzx90 manual brake pedal wont work unless you also have the jzx90 booster, the brake pedal ends up way too high. The way around this is to use jzx100 booster and cut down the automatic brake pedal, which I have done on mine.

The front half of a jzx90 drive shaft will need the hanger bearing swapped over from your jzx100 auto drive shaft as it is too wide to fit in the jzx100 tunnel/mounts.

jzx90 clutch line is almost right, fairly easy to reshape a few bends though.

Obviously you wont have these issues if you get a jzx100 conversion kit.

Eitherway, you will need to cut a nice section of your tunnel out (forward of the existing hole) for the remote shift section of the gearbox and make a new box/tunnel to sit on top over it. OR get jzx100 manual tunnel section.

I didnt hook up any speed sensors on my r154 as they had different connections from my loom (loom was 2 wire, sensor on r154 3 wire) speedo still works off the abs sensors on all 4 wheels, am told that abs might not function correctly without a pickup off the box though.

Starting the car is as easy joining two wires on the automatic gearbox loom. reverse lights are the same.

Also if using a 2nd hand clutch and its pull type, you don't actually attach the pressure plate to the flywheel until you have bolted the box onto the engine. You sit the clutch on the input shaft on the box and then tighten bolts through the inspection covers. (i only realised this once i was under car trying to lift box up over the clutch :( )

4age flywheel bolts are interchangeable for 1jz, should be easier to find.

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

thats sound advice dom

the trans that you have alex is a a341e
1st and 2nd gear is done via line pressure, and 3 and 4th are soleniod changed, with electronic kick down, rather than cable

the autos are good for around 400kw..where i read that i dont know, maybe inter-web rumor on that one,
one of the best things you can do is up the line pressure in the valve block, .........and if you decide to track it..........do something with the torque converter......they really dont like down shifting from big revs.........trust me on that one ;) they turn to mush

supra autos......again i can vouche 100% for these, on monday i done the ful a1gp track and went for a ride in a mates jza80 supra thats auto.......and he wasnt eating pies around that track
he was tormenting r32/33/34/35 gtr, there nothing to sneeze at

w58 remote shift boxs are another option to look at, lofreq is runnin one of them in his 2jz x100, and i would look at one of those as an option

looonie is right tho....there is r154 full conversion kits with everything from 4500nzd to 5500nzd, exluding duty/gst and what not
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

Alex

Post by Alex »

that guy in aus is running 320 ish kw atw on his auto, dragging it,
he has highstall, shift kit, upped pressure and cooler.. iirc thats all hes done to it.
and thats been reliable as. and he did 11.8 ! with a single spinner diff :)

that sort of thing would be ideal for me.

l SIC l

Post by l SIC l »

I take you guys are talking about Coryn in [2JZGTE]? Yeah, he's been abusing his auto for like 10 years now... all good :)
1995 Toyota Supra - Twin-turbo - 6-speed - Aerotop
No ABS. No Traction Control.

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

yip coryn the good cuntis

every yr he takes me for a death ride around taupo...........makes me love life haha
but man he can peddle that auto jza80, that car does everything 100% right...........and i meantioned hes a good bastard aye

speaking of autos i cant find it but on youtube there is a vid of a dude who has made a paddle shifted a341e trans in a x100
thought that was impressive
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
4 a tempting shortcut

twojayzeejza

Post by twojayzeejza »

for extra few grand its def worth going manual, auto sucks so much power
Toyota Supra JZA80 1996 manual turbo

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

i found it

a341e in a jzx100 with paddel shift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXNNt7rkpiE

something to ponder
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
4 a tempting shortcut