Whistling noise as turbos spool. Please help

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
Jayzeeexfan90

Whistling noise as turbos spool. Please help

Post by Jayzeeexfan90 »

So I just purchased myself my first properly fast and mint car. A 1993 mark 2 tourer Jzx90 with only 43k on the clock. It is auto but that doesn't matter for now haha. I have been driving it and everything seems to be mint but yesterday it developed a kind of whistle as the turbos spooled up under load. Was just wondering what this is and if I should be worried. I am new to toyotas with turbos and the 1jzgte in particular. Sorry to be a noob I'd just really love to know what it is as this is my pride and joy.

Chur

m989

Re: Whistling noise as turbos spool. Please help

Post by m989 »

First thing to check is your intercooler silicone joiners. If all seems ok, then check for excess play in the turbos by taking off the intake piping. There should be a tiny bit of play but nothing excessive.

Brett7777

Post by Brett7777 »

Did you get it sorted?

Jayzeeexfan90

Post by Jayzeeexfan90 »

Yup thanks guys. All sorted. The airbox had actually come loose somehow but allgood now. Put a new clamp on so its back to normal.
Also, everyone is telling me that I'll get smoke or blown turbos if I change exhaust so just wondering what you guys would suggest?

m989

Post by m989 »

A free flow exhaust can lead to overboosting thus blowing the factory ceramic wheeled turbos. One remedy is to put a restrictor ring in the down pipe. The other more expensive options would be to either rebuild the twins with steel exhaust wheels or upgrade to a single turbo.

BlakeNZ

Post by BlakeNZ »

the other option is to ignore those negative people, and wind them up to 21 psi,(with appropriate fuel and timing) and go blow the doors off everything!
the bigger exhaust helps the heat get out faster, thereby keeping the ceramic wheels cooler, meaning they will most likely, last longer.
1989 2jzx81 mark II project.
1991 Soarer (world's fastest 'stock turbo' jzz30 soarer), 11.51sec @ 122mph.

Jayzeeexfan90

Post by Jayzeeexfan90 »

If I was to do this what kind of system would you guys reccomend? My mate told me that the 1j actually liked the restrictive down and y pipes on the stock system and to just rebuild a new section with 2.5" straight pipe with a cat back from the y pipe. Thoughts? I'm coming from Nissan rb life so new to the whole 1jz setup but loving it.

Thanks all

BlakeNZ

Post by BlakeNZ »

no, the cast dump section is restrictive and poorly flowing. the turbos love to breathe. IN and OUT. what you choose will depend on your budget , and your goals.

Jayzeeexfan90

Post by Jayzeeexfan90 »

Okay then well what would you reccomend? I'm happy for this to be a few year long build up so just give me a reccomendation..

BlakeNZ

Post by BlakeNZ »

have you seen the system in this thread..?
viewtopic.php?t=1947
or this image
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-TWIN- ... 0795748379