1jz-gte VVTi starting problems

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
xMRWHIPPIEx

1jz-gte VVTi starting problems

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

hi there guys,

i have a minor issue with starting my car...

vehicle is a 1jzgte VVti swapped JZX90 Cresta running a factory vvti ECU and everything from an X100 tourer v.

in the mornings when the engine is cold the engine starts straight away and same with when the engine is warm and has been running it hot-starts fine.

the issue i'm having is that when the engine is cold but the air temperature is hot, the car hesitates to start.

i will sit there cranking it over for around 10 seconds before it splutters into life, a dab of gas around the 10-second mark helps this (but no sooner than that will it work)

i'm trying to work out what the actual F**k is going on.

i'm not sure if it has any bearing on it but the idle is set quite high, around 1100-1200rpm

are there any Guru's on here that have encountered this before?

cheers.
Jack of not much, master of fuck all

m989

Re: 1jz-gte VVTi starting problems

Post by m989 »

Any reason the idle is set quite high? As a quick test, you could try completely releasing the idle grub screw to see if it will start within a few seconds and once it has just use the pedal to keep it going.

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

since the engine was swapped in, the idle had been set high to stop it from stalling (as i believe it used to idle really low and die)

plan is to get it scanned and see if any errors pop up, other than that, i feel that a tune-up may be the only way around this?
Jack of not much, master of fuck all

m989

Post by m989 »

For reference, my x100 idles about 11-1200 while warming up and about 800 ish after a warm start. I think I read in your thread that the check engine light doesn't work on your cluster? If you have access to the internal diagnostics plug, short TE1 and E1 and the connect a test lamp to "W" and a ground point - this will flash just like the cluster lamp.