jzx90 cresta open diff - torsen LSD swap

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
FLAWLES

Re: jzx90 cresta open diff - torsen LSD swap

Post by FLAWLES »

been a little while since i have even thought of anything toyota

but i would roll a TRD centre

41 301-RA010 mechinical lsd ( same as altezza ) is the part i think you will need for your tourer s, but i would get that checked out buy someone in the know, just to make sure you do not have to change stub axles

now, i also be leave ( from doing this conversion my self to my old jzx100 tourer s ) that you can not get a trd 2 way, anymore, but you can change them over buy doing a shim addition, a mod which is all over the e-nets, again shit may have changed in the last 8 odd years

trd jp site is the business
http://www.trdparts.jp/parts_lsd_mechanical.html
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

maaan you guys are awesome!

i will be chucking it up on a hoist tomorrow and having a look at what i've got.

the hunt still continues for an A01D through most/all of my contacts haha
Jack of not much, master of fuck all

splatman1

Post by splatman1 »

I have a jzx91 2once was 2jzge now 1jzgte. Reading posts can you guys confirm these are the larger 8" diffs?

m989

Post by m989 »

AFAIK only factory turbo cars (Tourer V) had 8" diffs.

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

splatman1 wrote:I have a jzx91 2once was 2jzge now 1jzgte. Reading posts can you guys confirm these are the larger 8" diffs?
Indeed, JZX91's do have the 8" diffs and bigger axles (as do Tourer S afaik) however you only have one diff mount in your subframe whereas Tourer V's have two.

Your options are basically:
-Throw a torsen in there using just 3 mounts (two front, one rear) instead of 4. Haven't actually heard of anyone doing this but I assume it can be done, still not ideal.
-Cut a flange out of another subframe (or make one?) and weld it into yours so you can fit a second mount in there.
-Tourer V subframe swap.
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

i had a look and i have the 6-bolt stub axles however im really not sure what 'series' of diff i have?

will this information be printed on a plate in the engine bay? as i couldn't find any stamping on the diff casing itself.

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

also, i may just weld it for now until i can do the Tourer V subframe swap :lol:

yakuza

Post by yakuza »

xMRWHIPPIEx wrote:also, i may just weld it for now until i can do the Tourer V subframe swap :lol:
Apparently welded diffs aren't even that bad. I think people just exaggerate how bad they are. I haven't had one though, so I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure you could source a subframe from yahoo Japan through Ewan at stacked. I think he sends containers to NZ but not sure when hes gonna send the next one.
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

yakuza wrote:Apparently welded diffs aren't even that bad. I think people just exaggerate how bad they are. I haven't had one though, so I'm not so sure.
I love mine. It behaves well during normal driving and unlike the torsen it's super predictable and does exactly what you tell it to do when you want to have some 'fun'. I originally put the locker in for track days only and was gonna swap my torsen back in for street duties, but after taking a day or two to get used to the locker, I didn't see any point in pulling it back out. Only time it'll give you trouble is when you're trying to do a sharp turn into a car park at like 5kph, you have to keep on the gas a little bit otherwise it binds up and the car stops moving. Also people stare :lol:
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

PSIBRG wrote:
yakuza wrote:Apparently welded diffs aren't even that bad. I think people just exaggerate how bad they are. I haven't had one though, so I'm not so sure.
I love mine. It behaves well during normal driving and unlike the torsen it's super predictable and does exactly what you tell it to do when you want to have some 'fun'. I originally put the locker in for track days only and was gonna swap my torsen back in for street duties, but after taking a day or two to get used to the locker, I didn't see any point in pulling it back out. Only time it'll give you trouble is when you're trying to do a sharp turn into a car park at like 5kph, you have to keep on the gas a little bit otherwise it binds up and the car stops moving. Also people stare :lol:

well, with that in mind, its seems like a pretty reasonable option until i have some free cash to splash out on a new diff....

i will keep ya'll posted on whether i decide to glue it together using witch-craft or not!