Turbo Selection

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
im_oli

Turbo Selection

Post by im_oli »

How do ya go about selecting a turbo? What is best matched to the vvti 1JZ-GTE?
Apart from the Tomei, which I have not ruled out I just want to consider everything. I've also looked into the high flow option. But what else can ya do? I'm keen on good response and unlocking a whole lot more top end power that the CT15b can't suss.

It runs a stainless low mount manifold with the turbo in facory position. I don't want to swap manifolds, does that mean to run an aftermarket turbo I would need an adapter or something? Do they have a funny flange or something? I've got a new computer, 540cc injectors, just gotta do turbo then get tune. But which turbo...

P.S. It's my daily.

yakuza

Re: Turbo Selection

Post by yakuza »

Andrew Choy (WATDA) has a HKS GT2835r turbo on his VVT-i 1jz, and as far as I know its really responsive. It's also a direct bolt-on like the Tomei. Not too sure on price though. What sort of power are you aiming for?
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

im_oli

Post by im_oli »

Oh yeah, I'll enquire.

Um, how much power. Tough question, heaps more! I dunno really I've never thought about it. Seems to be how people choose turbos though right?

yakuza

Post by yakuza »

im_oli wrote:Oh yeah, I'll enquire.

Um, how much power. Tough question, heaps more! I dunno really I've never thought about it. Seems to be how people choose turbos though right?
The HKS GT2835r is capable of over 300kw without a problem. Andrews running over 300kw with Tomei Poncams. A couple of people have had their turbos high flowed by Steve Murch. That could also be a good option, probably cheaper as well.
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

im_oli

Post by im_oli »

Yeah that's heeeaps. Yeah Steve Murch replied to me a few times but I'm sick of waiting I haven't heard from him for a while. I've said like "let me know when and where to send it and I'll send it", but yeah so hard to get in there. Guess he's majorly busy. But yeah I'll send it to him if I can, problem solved. But yeah can't wait forever.

What about the flange type? What are they on the JZX100?

yakuza

Post by yakuza »

Yeah I've heard its really hard to get ahold of him. Not too sure on the flange type though
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

Andrew is running map sensor hence the good power. Its a tricky one for vvti 1jz. It seems the guys in aussie love the gt30 sized turbos for a good balance of spool and power. The m8280 even with cams is quite laggy (4k rpm).

If I were to redo my setup I'd go with a gtx3582. Heard they are a really revolutionary turbo in comparison to it's older counterpart. Spool super quick and make alot more power.

In terms of the flange, the stock one is a peculiar shape. You'll need to get an adapter made up. Andrews turbo is a special model to suit 1jz vvti.

slipwaysailplane

Post by slipwaysailplane »

Im in exactly the same boat, the high flow option seems the best for me, but like you say steve murch is pretty vague about the whole deal.

Tomei is the cheapest aftermarket, but i really dont want a laggy car, stock is just abit too responsive i feel. full boost at 2500 could do with it at 3-3200 ish.....

ct15b is physically quite large so one would assume you could make it flow quite abit better.

Pm me if you want to try and hassle him into a highflow deal.

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

Steve's been messing AJ around for a few years now for his high flow. I'm not sure the reason behind it however if you can get it done, the upgrade provides some great results as per Jarreds [FLWLES] jzx100 (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25).

Info on another company (in aussie) who do the high flow rebuilds on ct15b's (very similar characteristics to the m8280)
http://www.digi-hardware.com/ct15hiflow.htm

yakuza

Post by yakuza »

GCG over in Aussie also do high flows. A guy in Melbourne is running one in his car and its making over 330kw with a Power FC. But he's running E85 though
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933