1JZ engine issue

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
shweatypox

1JZ engine issue

Post by shweatypox »

Need some help
My 110 started feeling weird while driving. Heres whats been happening and what its doing now.

Sometimes I need to push the accelerator a lot further down before the engine revs start rising (Electronic throttle?)
It started happening more often
Engine died while in neutral
While in 1st gear with no accelerator down the car seems to jump up about 500 - 1000rpm then back to normal
Change in exhaust note with rough idling and driving (Coil pack? Sparkplugs?)
While rough idling the engine light is on and the traction control light is blinking

Any ideas? Heres a vid this afternoon with what it sounds like and the blinking light

davealdworth

Re: 1JZ engine issue

Post by davealdworth »

o2 sensor may be dirty, idle control screw may be loose in the throttle body causing the hunting. But more likely cause of the delay with the pedal to respond it's more likely an issue with the throttle ETCS system

shweatypox

Post by shweatypox »

I was thinking the ETCS system, maybe a good time to look at removing it :) Will a jzx100 throttlebody work?

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

JZX100 TB's are the same so will still be ETCS but you can get the ETCS throttle conversion kit.
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/premiumjapan/kit-001/
Just be aware that if you do go that way to have a grub screw fitted the the new sprockets as the original set up is a d shaft of the butterfly with a d shaft input on the sensor yet the kit comes with a round connection. It's difficult to explain but basically there is two pins that rotate the sensor on the factory TB that this new kit locks into so it's fixed to that not the shaft which causes some issues. I'm going through that now, had the kit fitted for about 7 weeks and the response is great but need to get the grub screw fitted so the plate locks in correctly

Alternative option - hypertune have been building a model for a intake manifold with TB for the VVTI :D

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

On a side note check all your fuses as there may be some that are blown hence why the whole this feels like a bucket of crap to drive at the moment

shweatypox

Post by shweatypox »

cheers, Ill check the fuses and also short the pins to see what check lights I get, hopefully I can get this sorted today

JZ14

Post by JZ14 »

I've got all the weird TRC, ECTS stuff if you need to try some, computers too.

shweatypox

Post by shweatypox »

cool thanks, Ill see how I go and if need be Ill give you a yell :)

archon

Post by archon »

Accelerator position sensor seems to be a semi common fault on JZX110. But better off getting a proper scan of the codes to pinpoint it, OBD2 scanning has a hell of a lot more info than the old bridge the pins and count the flashes method.

Here's a thread regarding those sensors, and a source for replacement (Toyota doesn't sell them separately, you've gotta buy a whole throttle body unit):
http://www.jzx100.com/forum/topic/13304 ... z2qkFPAQBp

I've never checked the price, but as a guide he sells an assembled exchange unit for AUD300.
http://www.quicktech.com.au/as/products.html

The thread where he figured what the problem was:
http://www.jzx100.com/forum/topic/13100 ... z2qkEC7nGA

And just to clarify an earlier point, JZX100 throttle bodies aren't the same as JZX110. JZX100 runs ETCS, essentially a second throttle plate for traction control etc, while JZX110 uses ECTS-i, which is one throttle plate completely controlled by the ECU, but with a cable operated 'request' from the driver. Converting a JZX110 to JZX100 would leave you with some wiring differences, and may cause issues for the ECU.

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

How did you go with this dude??