1JZGTE VVTI - Oil Brand and Grade

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
m989

Re: 1JZGTE VVTI - Oil Brand and Grade

Post by m989 »

My VVTi 1JZ is at 230+kms and I have used Valvoline Engine Armour 10W30 for the last ~20,000 KMs without problems. Oil and filter are changed at 5k intervals.

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

oh sweet! coming into summer im sure 10w30 will be fine then!
Jack of not much, master of fuck all

Youngatheart

Post by Youngatheart »

I've had a good read and the best advice seems to be synthetic, pay attention to the standards (like ACEA) and shop with your wallet.

So I'll be going fully synthetic to the A3/ B3 ACEA standard for the additional phosphorous, minimum 7,500km changes (maybe 10,000 depending on the oil - Mobil 1) as I don't buy into the old 'every 3,000ml/ 5,000km' for best protection mantra ... the key point in that phrase is OLD.

Oil technology has improved 10 fold and doing 30-100% more oil changes than required sure isn't doing the environment any favours ... or the engine. Let's face it, the environment isn't our first consideration but surely we should make any effort we can to 'green up'.

Which is why I'm going full tree hugger and getting a Hi flow Cat Converter when I replace my down pipe. That and to avoid any WOF issues ;)

S.

m989

Post by m989 »

[OT] Im pretty sure having a cat converter is not a WOF requirement, maybe at VTNZ but feel free to correct me if im wrong - not 100% sure. [/OT] ;)

yakuza

Post by yakuza »

m989 wrote:[OT] Im pretty sure having a cat converter is not a WOF requirement, maybe at VTNZ but feel free to correct me if im wrong - not 100% sure. [/OT] ;)
Yeah, I don't think its a requirement. I didn't have any issues with my de-cat pipe on my 110 during WOF time. If you want to be environmentally friendly, there's no point having a car with a 20 year old 2.5 litre twin turbo engine. May as well buy that new fully electric Nissan that runs off electricity that has most likely come from a non-environmentally friendly power source (ie; coal, hydro-electric etc...).
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

Youngatheart

Post by Youngatheart »

The NZLTA regs say that whatever your car was manufactured with is what should be on the car at WOF time.

How that is enforced is another matter but I believe if you upgrade an engine then to recert it requires Cats to comply with emission standards and then future wofs.

Never been a fan of the ALL or Nothing argument, life is rarely like that. Like I said before ....... Let's face it, the environment isn't our first consideration but surely we should make any effort we can to 'green up'.

So to reiterate:
Every little bit helps because we all just need to be a bit friendlier to the only place we've got to live, whatever our lunatic hobbies. :)

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

For oil a fair majority of us over here in Aus are running 10w-30 any thicker and it can cause issue for the VVTI system apparently. I've been running royal purple 10w-30 in mine and no issues at all although I have only driven it 1500kms in the last year and changed the oil twice thanks to fitting new turbos. Don't know if its available back home but alot of the guys here are starting to use royal purple cause it just doesn't break down as fast.

Having said that aswell alot are running 10w-40 during the summer days, we seem to have a few 40-50 degree plus months. All in all can't beat the toyota genuine oil, made for the motor so obviously it works.