Blue smoke on startup

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
m989

Blue smoke on startup

Post by m989 »

Hi,

My car has started blowing blue smoke from the exhaust on startup, It lasts for maybe 5 - 10 seconds. From what ive read on various toyota forums the valve stem seals/turbo seals need replacing.

Would it also be a good idea to replace the valve springs at the same time - maybe upgrade them?

Do northshore Toyota supply a kit for doing this or should I take it to my mechanic and get it sorted?

Car Specs:
1996 JZX100 Tourer V
220xxx kms
stock turbo setup

Any helpful advice would be great

cheers

davealdworth

Re: Blue smoke on startup

Post by davealdworth »

If it is the seals Nick from NST may have a kit or be able to do a deal with you. If your keen on upgrading the valves springs then thats completely up to you but after 220+ks they will probably be a bit tired. A nice new set of spring single or dual (once again up to you) with new seals should stop the blue smoke.

I had a set of supertech dual springs and supertech valve seals in my 2jzge and they made a huge difference to the general running of the engine once I went shimless buckets

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

I have the same problem. Figured since the head needs to come off to do the valve stem seals properly then i'm rebuilding the whole motor :)

There is a way you can do the valve stem seals without removing the head but it's alot of mucking around and will take almost the same amount of time.

m989

Post by m989 »

I would like more power in the future (~300rwkw) so i thought it might be a good idea to replace the valve springs while doing the stems seals as its a high km motor.

Id love to rebuild it as i'm sure something will probably fail once I get an aftermarket ECU and get it on the dyno but i haven't done the manual conversion yet which is first on the list.

I also found this: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread ... eplacement which details replacing the valve stem seals in a 2jzgte which i would assume is not much different from the 1jz, seems like it might just be easier to have my mechanic sort it for me.

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

make it easy on yourself, do a full rebuild with the motor out cause doing valve work in the car is just a massive pain in the ass and that way you can do your porting and the such

m989

Post by m989 »

I dont have the funds to rebuild the motor at this point in time, maybe I can find a low KM motor on yahoo auctions. Ill get a price from the mechanic this week as to how much it will cost just to have the stem seals replaced.

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

Budget about $1200.

lolyf

Post by lolyf »

Why would you want to replace the springs? If they're within oe specs for squareness and height (easily measured) no need to replace.
I suoprt pulik ejukashun!

m989

Post by m989 »

lolyf wrote:Why would you want to replace the springs?
I just thought it may be a good idea to upgrade them when I finally replace the valve stem seals - for future proofing, as i'm not sure if the 16+ year old factory springs will handle 264/264 camshafts and a 300rwkw tune.

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

Theyll handle it but to be safe do the vavle train gear. Especially cause the motor is up and over the 200,000kms mark. The springs will be fine but boosting up to 300kw will tire them out pretty quickly. Supertech do a good dual spring or brian crower do a good single that will take 500kw easy