VVTi 1jzgte vs Non VVTi

If having a JZ engine just isnt enough...
driftouteast

VVTi 1jzgte vs Non VVTi

Post by driftouteast »

Currently looking at a couple of engines for my chaser. One is a VVTi engine out of a jzx100. The other is a non VVTi engine out of a jzx90. The Jzx90 one is obviously cheaper, but it is also quite a bit older.
What are peoples opinions on these two engines as i havent own either of them before.
I realize after market support is a bit better for the non VVTi engine, cams etc, would just like to know what way people would go if they were doing the same thing.

EDIT: The car will mainly be used as a street car with the occasional drift day thrown in. So would like it to be nice and responsive on the road.

archon

Re: VVTi 1jzgte vs Non VVTi

Post by archon »

I've owned both.

More power potential out of the non-VVTi if you're not swapping turbos. People have made ~240rwkw with stock turbos, cams, injectors with full exhaust, FMIC, intake and 18psi.

But the VVTi craps all over it for street driving. Stock for stock the vvti makes peak torque at 2400rpm v 4800rpm for the TT.

VVTi is also the newer engine, fewer turbos to blow up, but more boring to drive - no turbo kick just smooth power.

gtivvl

Post by gtivvl »

go non vvti 2jzgte bro, heaps of torque and the best aftermarket support

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

I haven't owned both but I think the vvti is also really good on gas for it's power. I get 550 km a tank average. However, I've heard the non vvti is easier to tune.

d1 86

Post by d1 86 »

I prefer the non vvti one.
Keep the twins and aim for just over 200kw. Plenty!

Wiring on the vvti is much harder to put into anything.

I have both..... Jzx90 engine is stronger!

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

I say go non vvti 1j just to keep costs down, but if you don't mind spending a bit more I'd pick a non vvti 2j over a vvti 1j, similar in price, but no replacement for displacement and all that.
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

driftouteast

Post by driftouteast »

Didn't even think about a 2j. Most likely going to be importing an engine from japan as it will end up being cheaper than buying one here unless someone sells one for cheap, which i dont think will happen.
Leaning towards non vvti, just cause of cheaper buying cost and better scope for modification.