New Ride!!

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
Hoadster

New Ride!!

Post by Hoadster »

Alright guys, tomorrow I'm gonna be going and picking up my new ride: 1997 GX100 Toyota Mark II Grande 5-Speed!! It's still pretty stock right now with the 1G-FE 2.0 Liter Inline 6, but it already has coilovers, 17" wheels, exhaust and intake. I have plans of doing an engine swap: either a 1JZ- or 2JZ-GTE. Which would ya'll suggest? Obviously the 2JZ has a bigger engine displacement, but around Okinawa, they're damn hard to come by! Have any of you made this swap, or know if it is just a straight swap? Or will I need to modify more on the car in order to make it work? Thanks ahead for the help!!!!

PowderJZX

Re: New Ride!!

Post by PowderJZX »

hey bro, welcome to the club!

Good to hear its got all those bits now.
your car will actually do now, just get jz cross member (from x90 or x100) with steering rack, JZ mounts and engine with complete loom, ignition coil etc.. only if you just wnana go for a cruise or something. an x90/x100 front cut would do.

if you have all the parts e.g. xmember mounts steering rtack + complete engine with loom and starter motor etc, it should be a straight swap. the only thing annoying is collecting those small bits. there's jz xmember and mounts at spartan automotive dismantlers but im not sure how much they'll cost.

but if you wanna put it on track, If i were you i'd get a whole car (tourer-v x90 or x100) for 5k (wrecked but engine running) imported from japan and get all the parts e.g. brakes, swaybar, diff, 1jzgte engine r154..and JZ mounts. sometimes you might get lucky and get a tuned one. 1jzgte's are rev happy 2jzgtes are waay more tunable and heavier but the torque is amazing. its up to you to decide in the end:) any jz engine is good and powerful.. if you ahve the whole car it would be a weekend job pretty much haha.

hope it helps :)
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

gx100 rack and crossmember work fine for 2jzgte swap, all you need to do is extend the power steering lines to suit. 1jz gte mounts bolt up the 2jzgte to the gx100 crossmember.

if you go 2jzgte your stock twin turbo collector will impact the steering rod, you need to make a custom pipe or go single turbo.

if you keep stock twinturbo setup, your firewall heater core outlet will impact turbo2 inlet/compressor and will need to be modified to point out of the way

finally, air con mounting points on the 2jzgte do not match gx100 aircon lines.

otherwise its piss easy

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Okay, well out here, 1jz's are WAY easier to get hold of. I actually already have a 1994 mark 2 tourer v! Its auto though. Im just gonna sell it, instead of parting it. Ill get more monies that way. So is a 1jz swap just a straight swap then?

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

if you know what you are doing

get a vvti 1jzgte and it will all plug in and drive off ( making sure its out of a x100 of coarse )

first gen 1jz will work but will take a few simple wiring mods to get to work
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Yeah, im pretty newb so i have a buddy whos gonna help me out. I can prolly find a vvti 1jz, but x90 1jz's are way more common around here.

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

FLAWLES wrote:if you know what you are doing

get a vvti 1jzgte and it will all plug in and drive off ( making sure its out of a x100 of coarse )

first gen 1jz will work but will take a few simple wiring mods to get to work
Do you know what all wiring mods ill need to make? because the non-VVTI may be all i can get my hand on....but its still a 1JZ!!

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

Okay, new idea. What do you guys think about swapping a 2JZ-GE then supercharging it?? Those things are a dime a dozen around here and cheap too!

gtivvl

Post by gtivvl »

stock 1jz-gte will prob make more power

Hoadster

Post by Hoadster »

This is true, im just looking for something different.