PowderJZX wrote:
lolyf wrote:HOT DAMN!
Sweet ride bro!
agreed! it's insane!
+1, this is mint!

hare

Re: My GX71

Post by hare »

love the old school toyota sticker at the trunk!love the driver training mirror!
nice car!

DJX

Post by DJX »

hare wrote:love the old school toyota sticker at the trunk!love the driver training mirror!
nice car!

Thanks the mirror is quite rare I believe have never seen one before. only noticed it when car was taken to scrap I'm glad I grabbed it. Car it was out of had brake pedal in the passenger footwell and a digital speedo where stereo should of been.

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

More pics PUHLEAAAASSSEE ^.^
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

DJX

Post by DJX »

ok.. some more shots as requested by Thomas (sorry there a bit old)

here is the lip and wing I am waiting to fit up

3 points to whoever can guess what make and model of car that black kick up wing is off!!

Also scored these old mitchelotti fog lamps to install

And in the process of putting in these mark II tail lamps

Although I have broken the drivers side one if anyone can help, part number 22-133r

DJX

Post by DJX »

Alot of people have been asking me about wheels lately so thought I would show you guys how I did mine.

All my wheels started life as skinny, messy, rough rims. . .
But since they are un-welded split rims they are easy to fix up and turn into something special.

Here are my new front wheels ( dirty mesh top right corner )

Start by removing all the bolts

Some can be really stubborn, wheels were made in 1983 and I doubt they have ever been apart so I use this tricky technique to undo them without rounding them

As you can see the bolts have seen better days

you will come across a few that just dont want to budge but persistence is key, use degreaser, heat, more leverage anything to get the job done ( only once have I ever had to cut one )
Once all bolts are removed I slice the silicone with a sharp blade then pull them to bits, may take some persuasion with the mallet mind you!

now you can either make wide wheels by using all the back halfs which is what I did with my other wheels but you will have to build rim around the tyre and use a inner tube as the wheel no longer has a drop bead. If you used that way to put these together they would look like this

Went from a 14x6 to a 14x9.5 but since I only had a pair of these I have had brand new outers made up. Once they are polished and new zinc plated bolts arrive I will add more pics

Enjoy!

random

Post by random »

Hi David, Found your thread whilst googling GX71 pics. GREAT CAR! great colour.
Had to join just to ask about your rear flares... what brand? where from? suit what car?
Guessing you just bashed the metal out to match the shape of the flares?
They look superb man.

DJX

Post by DJX »

random wrote:Hi David, Found your thread whilst googling GX71 pics. GREAT CAR! great colour.
Had to join just to ask about your rear flares... what brand? where from? suit what car?
Guessing you just bashed the metal out to match the shape of the flares?
They look superb man.
Thanks alot!

they are just a universal fiberglass flare, got them off trademe about $70
I tried my best to fit the wheels under the standard guards, but I am no panelbeater and with all the rolling and bashing it just wasnt going to happen. everything on this car I want to do myself.

So I drilled the holes in flare for rivets to pass through, sat them on the car where I wanted them and marked the holes on the body. I then drew a nice curved line about a inch below the holes I had just marked.

Then its time to cut, with a nice thin disc and a steady hand I cut through the outer skin, then cut lots of slits along the inner skin and bashed that upwards until tyre cleared everything. Have just sealed up the gap with silicone as a temporary fix until I get a welder suitable for panel steel.

Its not a hard job to do, takes more courage than skill haha
;)

Before an after

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

This is by far the best X71 for me! :) love it bro!!! and again, thanks heaps for helping out! we gotta chat regarding the taranaki cruise btw
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

DJX

Post by DJX »

trial fit of wing:

WOF this saturday