Rah - JZX91 / JZX110W

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
PSIBRG

Re: Rah - JZX91

Post by PSIBRG »

Thought I should update this thread. My JZX90 is still sitting, unloved, outside my house. Gonna start pulling the motor when the weather fines up a bit I think. I do have a few new bits and pieces to go on it. When we got it running last year it was full of gremlins, I spose because half the engine loom seemed to be missing. I've literally been looking for an unbutchered one ever since, and just stumbled across one about a month ago for 5000yen so jumped on it. Also got a genuine Admiration front bumper sitting here. But yeah that's about as far as I've gotten with it lately.

Been daily'ing a Soarer since last year, nice car but it's getting a bit old and all sorts of 'old car' problems had started popping up, seatbelts not retracting properly, AC display fucked, passenger window doesn't work, bonnet and boot struts need regassing etc etc. Just a whole heap of little problems that I'd rather not waste money on fixing.

So I bought this back in June:

Had the interior and engine bay professionally groomed. Cambelt was due, so ordered a new genuine belt, waterpump, tensioners, cam seals etc from Nick @ NST. After that was done I had to address the brakes, the rears were practically down to metal and one of the rotors had some nasty gouging, so new pads all round and new rotors out back. Had the front bumper and lip resprayed cause it was a bit scratched up, and then decided to sort the hella sunk fitment so I bought a set of 350Z Touring V2 wheels. Normally 18x8 front and 18x8.5 rear but these are actually two rear pairs, so 18x8.5 +33 all round. Thinking about some 5mm slip on spacers for the rear just to bring them out a tad, but otherwise it looks good enough for a daily.

Only things to sort now are a new accelerator position sensor, seems a common fault with these cars and this one is playing up pretty bad at light throttle. Also the turbo is a bit whiny when cold. Not too bothered at the moment but i'm thinking it's a good excuse to do the ole steel wheel high flow in the future.

Edit: Just been looking back through some of the pages. Maaan I wanna get the 90 going again. Might rip into it this weekend if the weather is good I think, will be nice to relive this glorious moment :lol:

q1jMvrdiF9E
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

PSIBRG

Re: Rah - JZX91 / JZX110W

Post by PSIBRG »

So, this farker is alive again...

Long story, the old motor is farked, compression test showed 160, 100, 50, 80, 100, 180-190, suspected broken ringlands and has some gouging on cyl #1. Head seems fine. For sale if anyone wants it :lol: I don't have the money for a rebuild and happened to have a spare 1JZ sitting around.

Sooo, that went in. Bit iffy at first cause a compression test before the motor went in showed low compression on 2 cylinders, but with that said, it hadn't been run in years. Took a chance on it and sooo glad I did. Warm compression retest results were 188, 190, 196, 194, 190, 190 :D so yeah, couldn't ask for a better motor really. Deatschwerks DW300 fuel pump also installed, NST supplies them for $170+gst and they outflow the equivalent Walbro/Bosch so a good alternative for those of you in the market for a pump.

You'll have to excuse the smoke, bigger injectors and not tuned yet so it runs pig rich...

a63gSjjOJRo

ch4sernz

Post by ch4sernz »

Awesome to see it coming back to life
Cheers for the heads up on fuel pump sounds like just what I need

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

^All good :)

Here's an absolutely terrible video of a quick 2nd gear squirt... foot was planted the whole time and it only hit full boost at around 70kph, gaddamn this things laggy! Thought it'd be a bit more responsive than it is considering this turbo only has a .63 A/R exhaust side. Hopefully a tune and possibly cams will sort that out somewhat, otherwise I'll be looking to downsize a little. Doesn't help that these cars have such long legs, even with the 4.3 diff the gears are still so freakin long.

Also had to laugh at how ineffective the digital dash is now that the car accelerates faster than stock :lol:

IWu-iwk7O0A

Looonie

Post by Looonie »

Woohooo! Awesome to see this beast up and running again!

Need to catch it in person sometime.

Also kinda keen on 1JZ-GTE head... or whole borked engine... PM me how many bananas you wants?

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

YEAAA its alive!!!!!!!!
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."