Looonie's JZX90 +1

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
Looonie

Looonie's JZX90 +1

Post by Looonie »

After having a few X81's and deciding they were realistically too small for me, and having had enough of supras sort of, I came across this car reasonably cheap ($1100 I paid in the end) back in 2008... looking like this:

2JZ-GE, Automatic, delightful brown interior, foot brake...

So after I got it home, I put in new balljoints, new tie rod ends and then took it for a wof to see how I would fare.

From memory it failed on a missing indicator lens (fell out while I was driving, only noticed when I got home), cracked headlight mounts, cracked windscreen etc etc.

After trying for a few weeks to source the parts (headlights were $150 from wreckers, nobody had indicator lenses, they were about $250 each new from Toyota) I came across a Tourer V parts car (no running gear or front brakes) and for the price figured I might as well get that and fix all my problems.

So I paid $1300 for the parts car and got it home then started swapping over the lights and indicators, had someone come swap the windscreen over for me, sold the Tourer V front bumper, my stock wheels and the badge for $400, sold each of the front window regulators for $50 each. Then I swapped the complete interior over into my car (well it wasn't complete, it was missing a couple of bits like the drivers seat rail, the handbrake etc etc). Also swapped in the JZX90 suspension and kept the front bumper lip for fitting at a later date as well as the facelift tail lights just in case I wanted a change.

Took the car for a wof, got it passed, a week later the rear window shattered on me (I suspect it was chipped by a stone when mowing the lawns, hot days, cold nights, ala shatter). So I had the rear window swapped over also. Unfortunately it had gay purpleised old tint on it, so I tried peeling that off and most of it stayed on the window, so paid someone to clean it off and then got tints fitted, unfortunately they managed to fuck the rear demister (was kind of expected) but hey, its not like I live in the South Island ;)

Then it looked like this (with my 17x8 17x9" Work Rezax wheels fitted):

After a while I got pissed off with factory ride height and cut the JZX90 springs that were in it, had a perfect ride height (on bump stops) but not the most comfortable or legal of arrangements...

(Ignore the battery powered car... I was cranking the dehumidifier :)

Then I came across a set of JZX100 bilsteins for $450 so I bought those and after a nightmare struggle got them in and was annoyed at the ride height having been raised, but alas thats what you get I guess... So that was pretty much how it sat, I've also had to fix the exhaust as the flexi broke and started leaking so I used that as an excuse to have a 2" from the manifolds merged to 2.5" and run back to the first factory muffler, eliminating the cat. Not overly louder, bit more punch.

Also purchased a brand new handbrake and fitted that up.

Then in 2009 it blew a head gasket and with 240,000km on the clock and a cambelt well overdue, I found a replacement low mileage 2JZ-GE rather than bother fixing this one.

Oh and a gratuitous shot of something I found under a rear seat at pick a part and just had to have :)

Then some parts goodness from Japan...

Also got myself a manual pedalbox and clutch master (which I then sold), 2 power steering pumps, front and rear swaybars, lsd diff, kazama alloy subframe collars and trd diff mounts...

Stupid thing keeps distracting me from the JZZ20 :\

Still gotta get around to actually fitting the skirts and then save some coin to have them painted, as well as buying some tyres for the front... and getting knuckles to round out the suspension mods...

But for now at least, it looks a little something like this...

PowderJZX

Re: Looonie's JZX90 +1

Post by PowderJZX »

Nice ride man! haha don't i see those kits on trademe?:P love your x90! is the stock engine of that one a 2jz?
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

lolyf

Post by lolyf »

Holy huge photos batman! Would somebody please point me the way to get that front lip?
I suoprt pulik ejukashun!

Driftmonkey

Post by Driftmonkey »

Was the handbrake factory..?

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Hah, I got a bit excited when I saw this thread at the top, thought Dave might've bought another JZX..

Nope, he bought the handbrake brand new if I'm not mistaken (this is my car now)
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

Driftmonkey

Post by Driftmonkey »

PSIBRG wrote:Hah, I got a bit excited when I saw this thread at the top, thought Dave might've bought another JZX..

Nope, he bought the handbrake brand new if I'm not mistaken (this is my car now)

Haha yeah, doing some professional thread digging. Just looking through everyones cars in the members rides section.. there's some pretty nice cars that have come through this forum aye.

So you can have a handbrake with an auto trans? although in saying that I don't see why you couldn't huh. Might get one because footbrake + fully sick 2nd gear drifts isn't a good combo.

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Yup you can have a handbrake with an auto trans no problem. Flick an email to Nick at NST and he'll suss you a brand new one, doubt you'll find one second hand and even if you did, the price probably wouldn't be much different.

Looonie

Post by Looonie »

PSIBRG wrote:Hah, I got a bit excited when I saw this thread at the top, thought Dave might've bought another JZX..

If only... I'm still hanging out for a reasonably priced JZX110 iR-V to come on the market... Unless I get tempted by a JZS161 Vertex in the meantime.

Yeah I think I did buy it new, but it was that long ago and I'm that ancient now my memories not what it used to be 150 years ago... so I can't be 100% on that :D

PS. Your thread needs more updates :P

yakuza

Post by yakuza »

Looonie wrote:

If only... I'm still hanging out for a reasonably priced JZX110 iR-V to come on the market... Unless I get tempted by a JZS161 Vertex in the meantime.

Yeah I think I did buy it new, but it was that long ago and I'm that ancient now my memories not what it used to be 150 years ago... so I can't be 100% on that :D

PS. Your thread needs more updates :P
Should've bought the IR-V at go motors, it was a bit expensive but i think he would have let it go for like 16-17k.
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Looonie wrote:
PSIBRG wrote: PS. Your thread needs more updates :P
I have nothing to update, got a Power FC, but now I'm well and truly broke for a while haha