Post by boxxy »

Name: Tim
Where your from: Wellington
What you do: IT support
Car you own: Dirty old MX83
Future plans: BCs / R33 Brakes / 1UZ
Next car you want to buy: Lotto Car? G6E-T
Why you joined JZX NZ: local source of info for the x-chassis

Will put some pics up when i get home, but its standard apart from springs atm (done)

As i brought it

S15 spec R springs.. way too soft but they are captive :?

Last edited by boxxy on Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PowderJZX

Re: hey from Twizel

Post by PowderJZX »

Welcome to jzx nz man! !
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Alex

Post by Alex »

Welcome bro, nice color !
Seems a relatively rare color for them

boxxy

Post by boxxy »

Got my brake upgrade started

Ba Falcon Discs (cheers Nick) with R33 calipers, all thats needed is a ring to center the disk on the hub, apart from that its a bolt on affair.

Ignore the R32 calipers... got done by a c*ck on tard me :evil: so they are for sale atm, and R33s will be purchased soon

New Discs on old ones

stuck together.. cant bolt the calipers on as the legs are too short

PowderJZX

Post by PowderJZX »

Nice Bro :D
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

boxxy

Re: UZX83 Project

Post by boxxy »

Heh its been a while since I updated this... The car is pretty much as i want it now, here's whats been done.

We moved to wellington, and on the way the 7m got the knock of death coming into picton, so it was parked up and the project began..

Got the BC and brakes on and needed some new wheels to fit, found some BBS LM replicas in 19x8.5 and 9.5 cheap so figured they'll do

I hoed and hummed about rebuilding the 7m and adding some boost, but the bogan in me wanted the 1uz too much so some money changed hands and i ended up with a celsior lump on the floor of my shed. Not happy with the idea of an auto i grabbed a steel plate W57, with a cartune bell/clutch/fly kit to get it on.

The easiest way to get the thing in was to import some mounts from xcessive manufacturing in the states, which my cert guy was happy with so it truly was a bolt in affair.

Going in

Its home!
It sits a bit far forward due to the clutch master, and the ac bump on the passengers side

meaning the shifter is a bit far forward and i need to to lengthen the driveshaft half i got with the box.

I build the clutch lines, fuel lines and powersteer line with braided teflon, which was a lot easier to deal with that i thought it would be, and they havent given me any dramas in 30000kms after i swapped the metric-an adapters to proper power-steering ones, and got some nolythene mounts

Got it running in place, was a happy day!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/un2u5xvi46dze ... 9.mp4?dl=0

More to come

boxxy

Post by boxxy »

The exhaust was pretty simple, 2 2.5" pipes off the header, back to an 18" resonator on each side, join into a 3" and then into a straight through muffler at the rear. The passenger side header is a stock celsior item, and the drivers is a butchered log to get around the steering. this will be fixed one day.. probably when it cracks.

The wiring was a pain, the cress has 3 dash plugs and i used around 3 on each of them
After getting it starting properly, and the 2 speed working on the fuel pump i tidied it up and managed to get the glovebox back in haha

had dramas getting the wheels in with 'certable' camber which sucked, ended up getting some adjustable rear arms to pull camber out, and then had to drop from my 265s back to 235s on the rear, and 235 to 215s on the fronts which was the biggest stretch i could get legally.. it looked better with square tyres imho

Took it for a cert and only got rejected on the power steering adapters seeping. Got some proper p/steer 'an' adapters the same day and it was sorted.

We took it for a maiden voyage up the east coast, went inland to Waikaremoana and it handled it mint. The only thing i wasn't happy about was the looks from the back

so i sorted a Yamaha wing from cisco kids in au

Also got this working which is mint, used a clutch switch from a corolla in place of the neutral switch and it was as per factory

After driving it for 6 months with an open diff, i finally got stuck going into a driveway with a back wheel about a foot off the ground. installed this and its not much better :( I have a shim/helper spring kit coming for it so hopefully that sorts it!

boxxy

Post by boxxy »

As the paint is a .. bit .. rough on the old girl i have been thinking about what colour to go.

Red has always been a favourite of mine but wasnt sure how it would look.... what better way to figure this out than to try out some plastidip :D

I need to get some more pics, as the colour has mellowed a bit, but im pretty happy with it. Maybe ill just roll plastidip until it dies?

in the mean time, heres a vid of me doing the HCCC grass autocross

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

nice write up man!

i'm not really a matte coloured kinda guy, but that looks sweet!

i dont know how relevant the two chassis' are but im looking at doing an r33 caliper swap onto my JZX90 Cresta. Was it very straight forward?

cheers
Jack of not much, master of fuck all

boxxy

Post by boxxy »

xMRWHIPPIEx wrote:i dont know how relevant the two chassis' are but im looking at doing an r33 caliper swap onto my JZX90 Cresta. Was it very straight forward?
Its was really easy, the callipers bolt onto the uprights and the ba falcon disks are the perfect offset and diameter. All you need is a spigot to center the disk as the 60mm hub is to small for the disk.

I was under the impression that x9 onwards were completely different in the front end and the easiest upgrade was either supra 4pots and disk or the bigger 2pots from a turbo x chassis / altezza?