My 2003 V300 Aristo

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
shweatypox

Re: My 2003 V300 Aristo

Post by shweatypox »

there was a brief talk about cats in this post. I guess its one of those "depends where you go" things. I guess I better look at getting a swappable pipe made so I can remove mine :)

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

when cars enter the country and get complied they get emissions tested - this is not as technical as it sounds, its actually primarily an air/fuel ratio test to check for clean combustion. if you modify your car (engine swap, turbo etc) same story at cert time.

certified cars will get a circular "clean and green" sticker on their window to show they have complied. my chaser with a jzs147 2jz motor with straight pipes and single muffler passed emissions with flying colours thanks to the power of toyota factory tuning and ecu control.

wof places threatening to fail you for missing cats is the same scaremongering as "your exhaust is too loud" subjective arguments.

archon

Post by archon »

lofreq wrote: wof places threatening to fail you for missing cats is the same scaremongering as "your exhaust is too loud" subjective arguments.
It's now law. If your car was complied on or after 1 May 2010 and there's evidence that it had a cat (which has subsequently been removed) they can fail you (with a few exceptions as in the link above), and given that most wof people know a thing or 2 about cars they surely realise that these days 99% of them come with cats.

It is subjective and will mostly depend if that wof inspector hugs trees in their spare time or if they just plain don't like the look of you, but be thankful it wasn't blanket legislation stating all cars should have cats along with regular emissions testing - although it's just a matter of when that occurs, probably sometime in the next 5 years when the economy is full steam ahead.

The wording around exhausts actually suggests any modification done to reduce its silencing effectiveness would make you fail, so they already have the means to reject you if they want to.

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Oops... I forgot about this thread... mods, can you please merge this with my new thread?