VR25 Special

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
shweatypox

Re: VR25 Special

Post by shweatypox »

VR25 wrote:
shweatypox wrote:What are the advantages of a 1.5 setup? I thought that was a conversion for the older twin turb 1j?
Good question . The 1J was peaking out its maximum performance at around 300 ish rwkw in its current configuration. To go further with this engine was going to cost some serious coin to bring it to a level i was looking for , 400rwkw + . Specifically a stroker kit to take it out to a 3.0l . That with machining etc was about 10k plus I needed to revisit the Turbo and engine management as well . They way I looked at it was cost $ per kilo watt . The easiest answer was swapping it out with a 2JZGTE bottom end but also modifying that with a few bit a pieces to ensure that it was going last the thrashing it was going to recieve . A little research and advice from some pro's said coupled with the 1J VVTI head , retaining VVTi and larger single Turbo i'd see some pretty significant gain in Torque and Power gains. To make it even easier , all parts apart from the water and oil pump and a few minor parts were a direct swap over from old to new .
Nick and I went for a decent power run earlier , and i can honestly that the Torque and Power is up a least 30 - 40% and its still untuned . For the $4K its cost me to date , that's bang for buck . At a guess without dyno , it must be making late 300's.
That definitely sounds like bang for buck, when I get to the engine part, I would be aiming for 300+rwkw, so you reckon the 1.5j is the best bet with room to go higher if needed or stick with the 1j? Sounds like its gonna be alot fun after the tune :)

davealdworth

Re: VR25 Special

Post by davealdworth »

If you want to have a look at a motor that has the 1.5jz on a vvti set up have a look at the magician jzx110 thats stroked out to 3.2 for memory. 2j bottom end. Just be wary that the 2jz block is 20-25mm higher than the 1jz block