New to JDM with a freshly imported Tourer V 1993

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
PowderJZX

Re: New to JDM with a freshly imported Tourer V 1993

Post by PowderJZX »

xMRWHIPPIEx wrote:
Youngatheart wrote: The HD gearbox mount makes the gearbox sound positively Soviet Block :o and that took some getting used too, sure it's practical enough, strong, relatively smooth but there's no mistaking that it was made for a truck. This probably surprised me most because for the last 7 years I've been used to one of the most refined, positive, slick and satisfying gearboxes ever put in a car.
i have the same feeling about my R154, but it just takes a bit of time/getting used to both the noise and the 'notch-iness'

the whining of the box at low rpm around town just means you have a race-car right? :D
Same feel with my brothers 110. Maybe there's a way of sealing off that noise even for a tad bit, if not completely? that noise you are talking about gets annoying when it comes to long drives.. haha .. could never have any peace and quiet....as far as I know those gearbox tunnels don't have any sound deadner around them. If you lift the trim up, maybe you could custom cut one avoiding the handbrake and the gearbox plate cover? they only have a layer of thin removable rubber and also the carpet itself. I'm not sure why they didn't put them on it tho, they must have a good reason why they didn't. Those tunnels heat up pretty good. Maybe that's the reason although, does it affect the tunnel that much? You can probably use those deadners with cotton, if they're talking about 'venting' the heat. haha
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

m989

Post by m989 »

You could try covering the trans tunnel with dynamat. I used this for my manual conversion and it made a huge difference. 1 roll is just enough to cover the whole tunnel and around where the handbrake is.

davealdworth

Post by davealdworth »

Agree with dynamatting. I dynamatted the entire interior of my 110 with two layers around the tunnel. Can't hear the gearbox, clutch, 2-way or the road. Sure is worth it.

phys

Post by phys »

You and I have the same gear lever, not sold on it yet, feels wrong somehow.

Wow, It must be my old age hearing and driving noisy cars for too long that makes me feel like this is one of the quietest cars I have owned. Certainly the most fun and responsive even when it tries to kill me.
The box feels a little agricultural in 1st and 2nd but you get used to that, and the whining is acceptable. But loading it up in a higher gear produces bad results :)

I still hate driving the thing around in traffic with the ORC single...every now and again it catches me out and I do the noobie stall.

Should meet up and swap cars for a spin to feel the different characters and mods.

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

i actually don't even mind the slight whine in the first two gears to be honest.
its certainly a lot more comfortable/refined than my ute was and doesn't scream along the motorway at 100kph in the same way either haha

in the process of getting a manual shifter surround and shift boot via J-Streeter at the moment (along with a few other goodies if the auctions play my way) :P
Jack of not much, master of fuck all

Youngatheart

Post by Youngatheart »

I'm going to go with the dynamatting (at some stage) and if required also change to a std gearbox mount which should alleviate the 'noisy gearbox' situation.
It will be interesting when we meet on the 7th to get others feedback in comparison to those with a std mount. I think my sensation of it is slightly magnified due to coming from a very quiet automatic, still using a silent 6 speed in another car and the HD mount. :shock:

Got rid of the manky boot today .... :D

Looking purdy now. :lol:

Thanks for all the info/ help with this.

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

What are you all doing on the 7th December around 2pm?

fancy joining the little meet we are having? keen to have a good perve on this thing in person :lol:

details are in the meets section of the forum!

yakuza

Post by yakuza »

Have you still got the old shift boot? My ones really ripped so I need a new one.
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

Youngatheart

Post by Youngatheart »

MrWhippie if I might cast your eye back to the bottom of page 3 ...

"Yeah MrWhippie, I'm feelin the mad jzx90 mica green love. :lol: Let's have that jzx mini-meet, it would be cool to see another jzx (or more) and talk some shit.

I'll pm ya."

:P ... meds ? :P

Yakuza, I've put it aside for you :D

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

haha sorry mate! in the middle of stock-take at work.

and apparently my boss reckons 14 hour days are the way to get it done haha