New to JDM with a freshly imported Tourer V 1993

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
Youngatheart

New to JDM with a freshly imported Tourer V 1993

Post by Youngatheart »

Hi all,

l'm Stephen, an old Petrol-head from Auckland (close to North Shore Toyota) that's just been introduced to the JDM scene and I'm lovin it. So first up let me apologise for any future noobiness, age is no barrier ;)

BITD all we had were hot Minis, Cortinas and later the Rx2,3,4 and 7's but now it's like an automotive candy store.

Anyway enough of the drivel.
Mica Green perleffect.
48,900 kms.
Sunroof.
TRD twin-pots all round, slotted rotors on rear. (Std calipers painted red - TRD pads)
Stainless steel brake lines
Greddy Type S coil-overs.
2 way Torsen LSD.
Tinted.
HID's
Front Mounted Inter-cooler.
5 piece rear subframe bracing. (TOMS bracing)
TRD front subframe bracing.
Upper rear tower bracing. (Rear frame brace)
Aluminium sill bracing. (Do luck under floor braces)
18 x 8.5 and 18 x 9.5 2 piece lightweight Japanese Mags. (3 piece)
225/40 and 235/40 Yugi tyres (never heard of them).
New Mongoose 5 star alarm.
New JVC Media head unit - DVD/ music - 6 inch screen.

It's an automatic and I'm loving the way it slinks around the place at the moment.

Recently at North Shore Toyota where it got a full service, new cambelt (good for 150K), tensioners, brake fluid, coolant, rear brake pads, removed the HKS turbo timer.

Ordered the HKS HiPower409 cat back exhaust, $790, delivery in 6-8 weeks (free).

Wonderful to drive, nice power, very planted, the dark green looks awesome in the daylight and totally black at night. The interior is almost perfect and the whole package has a nice, luxury sedan feel.

Pictures to come as I get my head around this basic system for adding images ... who uses tags :(

Soon to lower it 20mm and long term a R154 box (probably a new one), cover the last of the chrome to complete the black (at night anyway) ;) on black look. Refurbish the mags as the chrome has suffered a bit and do the black properly rather than Plasti Dip ... that stuff is amazing :)

Updated with advice from other members (cheers you) and a senior moment with the brakes :oops:

Good to be here, happy days.

Stephen.
Last edited by Youngatheart on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.

archon

Re: New to JDM with a freshly imported Tourer V 1993

Post by archon »

Welcome, car sounds cool.

Hurry with the pics. www.iforce.co.nz will host easily without having to sign up.

m989

Post by m989 »

Saw this on the aussie site, in the next couple of years more low km JZX's should start popping up in NZ hopefully! Was the turbo timer removed so that you can use the one built into the alarm?

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

sweet sounds like a minter! so is this a mark II, chaser or what? super keen for pics :D
Jack of not much, master of fuck all

Youngatheart

Post by Youngatheart »

Hi guys,

Sorry to keep you hangin .... senility might have set in .... I forgot ;)

M989 - Yep

xMRWHIPPIEx - Mark 2 :)

So, cheers Arcon for the link, here's the pics and some updates after talking with the 'pro's' Jason from Japspares and Brendan of Convert Ltd.

Here's the car at North Shore Toyota.
The mag looked like this with the Plasti dip removed.
OMG, looks like all the bolts and even the valve covers had amber glass set in them .... totally ghey so blacked them suckers back up again :?

The brakes aren't TRD twin pots, just TRD brake pads in painted std calipers ... bit of a senior moment, but here's the shocks and SS brake lines.
I'll need to roll the guards before I can lower it the 20 - 30mm all round I want.
Here's the correctly identified Rear frame brace -very high quality according to Jason.
TRD front subframe bracing
Aluminium Sills
Rear 5 piece subframe bracing
Sunroof and every optional extra except cruise control .... nice.
The stock engine bay except for the Inter-cooler piping.
The immaculate interior.
Here's some other shots

I'm gonna go black on black as much as possible, clear indicators, open the factory lower grill to allow the Inter-cooler more air, fit that exhaust, hi-flow filter in the airbox, get the factory skirts and try and keep that whole sleepy, luxury, make ya grin, black jzx90 cruiser look goin'.

Manuals on the horizon and Jason's very kindly looking for a low km conversion kit for me, scholar and a gentleman. :D

Enjoy the pics and as always comments and suggestions welcome.

Cheers.
S.

m989

Post by m989 »

TOMS bracing if im not mistaken and Do luck under floor braces. Very nice car you have there. The mongoose turbo timer doesnt work too bad either from what ive seen (buttons 2+3 on the remote kill the engine before timeout too IIRC)

Petebozo

Post by Petebozo »

Sweet car man! Looks very tidy

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

That's a nice 90, looks pretty damn immaculate!

Just curious, did it go through compliance with HID's or did you install them after?

Also if you're planning a manual conversion I'd go with a brand new box through Nick @ North Shore Toyota. Even if Japspares manage to find you a low km conversion, the boxes are still ~20 years old now, and honestly R154's are kinda clunky to begin with so the age thing won't be doing you any favours.
JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

DAAAAANG thats nice.

so nice to see such a factory un-f**ked-with example.

keen to see this thing in the flesh at a meet in the future?? 8-)
Jack of not much, master of fuck all

Youngatheart

Post by Youngatheart »

Cheers for the compliment and the update on the bracing M989. yeah the Mongoose alarm is ok, not the best but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick ;)

Thanks for the kind words Petebozo and PSIBRG, the HID's went through compliance but I'm expecting some grief down the road about them. :evil:

As for the gearbox, I've priced 'new' and it will cost up to $6500 ... just for the parts, whereas Jason at Japspares is looking for a low kms conversion kit for me, which still should only cost me $4500. Clunky or not $6k is the whole budget. :D

Cheers again xMRWHIPPIEx, my goal is to retain as much off the original look as possible and tweak it for max VIP/ Gangster. Gangster as in old school elegance, Yakuza and suits ... not sports wear, badly fitting pants and ostentatious bling.
I hope that's not too old fart ;)

It's even got the front fender ornaments that light up (faint green) with the headlights on, sorry I don't know what they're called but they use a funky fibre optic cable from the headlights and they are just 'too cool for school'.
Image.

How often are the meets held ?

Here's the To do list, in rough order:
Fix front lip and grille back underbody panel.
Fit exhaust.
Get rear bung for wheel storage area.
Check/ adjust suspension rebound rate.
Adjust/ test damper settings (32).
Guards rolled.
Lower suspension 20 -30mm.
Blacken all other chrome, front fender top lights, trim on rear, grille emblem.
Clear indicator lenses for the front.
Increase opening size and create matching Grille for FMIC.
TRD front tower brace.
Transmission conversion.
Factory skirts.
Recondition the mags, permanant black.
Last edited by Youngatheart on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.