New member - Japanese 171

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
Jzs171-jp

New member - Japanese 171

Post by Jzs171-jp »

Hi guys! With a bit of a suggestion from forum user yakuza I decided I should sign up here and show you guys a bit of what goes on in my life and hopefully learn a thing or two about toyotas!!

My names Toby, I'm from NZ and I live in tokyo, Japan.
I have two jobs, I work at a kindergarten before lunch and then go spend my afternoons and evenings working at a car shop called Shino kouba. Maybe someone knows it but it's fairly well known here in Japan.

I've only owned shitty nissans up till now and after having endless little issues and good old sr20s running bearings I decided it was time to make the switch! A few of my friends who I drift with here have crowns and since there are endless chasers, mk2s etc I decided I would try build something to drift that was a little different even here in Japan! So I've picked myself up a jzs171 crown athelete v (jzx110 running gear) and I'm slowly getting all the parts together to build something cool.

Excuse the next two photos :p one does have a jzx100 in it for every one!
My cefiro I owned in NZ before moving

I owned this 180 for almost 9 months over here and I guess it took a fair beating on Touges and the ports before I saw the light/some amazing runs on mountains with my mates jzx/jzs and got my hands on something better!

My 171 crown. 1jzgte, auto (never made manual)
The engine is the same as a jzx110, so I have a quick question in regards to my trans swap, who has done it on a 110 and what did you do ecu wise. Even here no one can give me a straight answer. A good friend of mine is running his AT ecu and says he has no issue but I did here somewhere else that maybe the vvti won't work properly? Excuse my ignorance incase this is a basic question because I really know nothing about these engines/chassis.

Anyways I look forward to hanging around on the forum and if you have any questions then feel free to send me a message!!

Cheers!

yakuza

Re: New member - Japanese 171

Post by yakuza »

Good stuff. Murdoko aka Tristan Carlos has converted his car to manual so has WATDA (Andrew Choy)
both of the cars they own are pretty cool.
Last edited by yakuza on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

Jzs171-jp wrote: My 171 crown. 1jzgte, auto (never made manual)
The engine is the same as a jzx110, so I have a quick question in regards to my trans swap, who has done it on a 110 and what did you do ecu wise. Even here no one can give me a straight answer. A good friend of mine is running his AT ecu and says he has no issue but I did here somewhere else that maybe the vvti won't work properly? Excuse my ignorance incase this is a basic question because I really know nothing about these engines/chassis.

Cheers!
Pretty cool car! I'm using the stock AT ECU

Here are the things that you need to know:
1. auto gbox speedo will need to be machined to fit the r154 gearbox. speedo will still work thru the ABS sensors though but it will through an error code
2. a few more error codes will be thrown out but all of them are auto gbox sensors

no other issues that I can remember at the top of my head

Jzs171-jp

Post by Jzs171-jp »

Thanks for the reply! And no issues with vvti not working? Most people take there cars to a shop called RASTY which I'm sure every one is familiar with. That being the case no one here can answer what's been done ecu wise. Either that or they just run a power fc but I want to get my car finished soon and just drift so it's not really an option considering before I do anything I have to get shaken and that's pretty expensive!

Jzs171-jp

Post by Jzs171-jp »

So I got my first part today for the build, only a small one but it's a start.

Hanging accelerator pedal not the organ/floor type one that the 17 crown has. These are a option for cars that usually drive in the snow as the floor pedal can sometimes freeze!

Also here's the list of the first few parts I ordered through my friend at Toyota, not sure how the pricing compares to nz. Just a few things to get me started, car still needs shaken before I can drive anywhere so I don't wana go crazy yet.
1-jzx110 clutch pedal
2-jzx110 clutch master cyl and hose
3-jzz30 handbrake handle assy, this was actually the last one in Japan so sorry to any one that wants to buy a new one in the future!
4-1jz spigot/pilot bearing
5-1jz rear main seal

Parts should show up this weekend :)
Incase any one was wondering my friend works for Toyopet which is a kind of sales/after sales branch of Toyota, they also deal with servicing. There's hundreds of branches in Tokyo alone.

yakuza

Post by yakuza »

22,000 yen is a really good price. There's a video on YouTube with one garage doing a manual conversion of a jzx100 mark ii in under 2hours. It might even be that rasty workshop you mentioned.
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

Hachi-ichi

Post by Hachi-ichi »

seen some Verossas on Minkara built by Rasty. Cool !!
E-GX81-AEPQF. 8E3, FB81

Jzs171-jp

Post by Jzs171-jp »

Yea a couple of mates have cars that have been built by them. The Japanese usuly have shops build their cars rather than doing things themselves. I'm gonna buy a few little bits through rasty so when I'm there next I will get some photos!