My 2003 JZS161 Single Turbo Aristo

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
EVLC36

My 2003 JZS161 Single Turbo Aristo

Post by EVLC36 »

Hey Guys

Was good to meet some of you yesterday at the shoot.

My Aristo build thread (some of it will read a bit odd as copied and pasted from other forums)

Well I guess it kind of counts as a project now, have done a bit to it.

When I got the car it was a completely bone stock silver 2003 V300 Aristo - 2JZ-GTE VVTi, 4 speed auto, grey leather, standard 16" alloys and epic ride height, I didnt actually take any pics of it stock, but it basically looked like this (without the spoiler)

Then I put some pretty average looking 19s on it (19"x 8.5 ET35), keeping the standard ride height... looked... crap really...

Shortly after that, got my arse into gear, had some HSD coilovers installed, and some 25mm spacers on the rear to give it a bit more stance - effective rear ET was now 10.

Still wasn't especially keen on the wheels, so found some nice 19" matte black BBS LM reps, but prior to installing them created a few black accents so blacked out the front grille, de-badged the rear and installed some tint/smoked lamin-x on the headlamps and taillamps. Had the wheels installed today, and they look rather good - am running 19x9.5 rear, ET32, but with spacer is an effective ET of 7, has some nice poke going on. Fronts are currently 8.5" ET35s, but they are a bit weak offset wise, and don't really want to dick around with more spacers, so am replacing with a 9.5" ET32 on the front which will push the wheel out another 15mm or so and give the car an aggressive look all round, using 245x35 tyres all round, getting a bit of rub in the rear so will need to trim guard lip 2-3mm further, and will probably switch to 235s when these tyres are worn out.

Pics are rubbish I know.

And better pics of whole car, running the 9.5" fronts

More Pics:

Update time:

Full 3" mandrel bent turbo back exhaust - booked for Friday
Colder spark plugs - installed, imported some Denso Iridium IK24 plugs - 2 heat ranges cooler than standard
Walbro 255lph fuel pump - installed
Electronic boost controller/gauge - on order, will arrive next week, went for an HDi controller/gauge combo, simple dual boost mode, and good quality US made solenoid
HKS fuel cut defencer - on order, might arrive this week
Davies-Craig ATF Cooler

Next plans:
TRD Sway Bars
TRD LSD
TRD Panel Filter
Shimmed accumulators in auto box
Celsior front brakes + 30mm roll centre adjustors

Exhaust done - full 3" from turbo flange back, decat, single resonator splitting to dual 2.5" with free flow mufflers and 4" rolled tips. Mandrel bends throughout. Work was done by Dean at Mr Muffler and is top notch.

Sounds rather good, nice rumble at idle and great straight 6 howl under throttle, and crackles and pops on the overrun and gear changes :D

Definitely a lot quicker, boost comes on a lot quicker and harder, and the other good news it that it isn't over-boosting the turbos as its not even hitting factory boost cut so won't need to install restrictor ring like some 2jz owners need to.

Will be installing boost controller today and setting low and high boost levels am going to set at around 12 low and 17.5 high.

Tips

EVLC36

Re: My 2003 JZS161 Single Turbo Aristo

Post by EVLC36 »

Time for an update - been doing a bit more tinkering and a few more tweaks here and there.

Have played with the boost on the first turbo and am now getting 1bar of boost by 2500RPM, and am seeing positive boost basically off idle - once it hits 4000RPM and 2nd turbo comes online I get the full 1.2bar - it is quite rapid now throughout the rev range.

Fixed the issue with the 2nd turbo coming online - it was a shagged vacuum actuator that stopped working when it got hot - must better now with consistent boost!

Have replaced my front discs and pads - found some rather concerning hairline cracks on the old discs, so have replaced with slotted Znoelli discs and semi-metallic pads - they seem to stop quite nicely!!

Finally - front wheels are still a bit more inset than I would like, have some 15mm bolt on spacers on order to push the wheels out a bit further - will look as aggressive on the front as it currently does the rear - will be 19x9.5 ET7 rear and 19x9.5 ET17 front

Current mod list:
Engine/Trans:
Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
Denso IK24 Iridium Plugs (2 heat ranges colder than standard)
Transmission Cooler
3" Turbo back exhaust, splitting out to dual 2.5"
HDI Boost Controller & Gauge - set at 1.2bar
HKS Fuel Cut Defencer (for running greater than 1bar of boost)

Suspension/Brakes/Wheels:
HSD HR Adjustable Coilovers
25mm spacers rear, 15mm spacers front (on order)
19x9.5" Matte Black BBS LM replicas
Znoelli slotted front discs and semi-metallic pads

Cosmetic:
5% Laminx protective pilm on headlamps/fogs
17% Laminx protective film on rear lamps
De-badged boot
Blacked out front grille

Running 15mm spacers on the front now, flushes out the fronts perfectly IMO.
Some new pics after a wash, properly showing off exhaust and more aggressive front stance!

OK, update time.

Firstly, bought a VSC defeat kit - turned out to be faulty so getting another one sent, will have in a couple of weeks.

Ordered a set of Cusco sway bars, TRD LSD, and some 17MM front RCA spacers - should improve handling a bit in preperation for....

Bored of BPU, turbo 1 a little whiny and oily, so it is now time to go the single route - other half has approved funding so all go!

I am pretty much set on a mid sized frame turbo - am seriously leaning towards the newest generation Garrett GTX3582R with a .82 A/R turbine housing - lightning spool of the GT35 framed turbo, with flow capabilities pretty close to a T04Z

For manifold I will be going with a Sinco steampipe unit, WG, undecided - will be reputable brand 44MM+

Intercooler am currently undecided on, but will sort that out in due course - probably a Blitz or Trust unit.

ECU will be an HKS Fcon V Pro, and fuelling will be 7-800CC injectors, and probably a Bosch 044 (as I doubt my Walbro will flow enough)

Power goals are somewhere in the 450-500HP @ the wheels mark.

Ordered 6 link rear end bracing & Tom's rear underbody brace along with front and rear Cusco strut braces, and a Cusco lower front brace.

17MM RCAs have arrived - will install them and leave the coilovers where they are, so will drop front end a little more and remove the remaining fender gap as well as improving roll centre somewhat.

Cusco sways should be here soon, and car booked in for LSD install next Weds.

Reason for all the bracing/sways etc is took the car for a bit of a blat over the weekend, and was unimpressed with how floaty the rear end is around fast sweeping corners, and don't really feel confident pushing it hard (which after reading ClubAristo and on Club Lexus seeme to be a consistent trait of the 160/161) - this is after the ARS lockout bar, coilovers and recent alignment.

Also got some new 235/35/19 Dunlop Sport Maxx on the front today.

Shiny new parts :)

The sways are 32mm/18mm and 151% F and 128/172% R (adjustable) stiffer than factory.

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

New wheels - no spacer currently as had to get centre bore on them milled slightly.

Feels like a different car with the RCAs, sway bars and front and rear bracing installed, so much more direct and precise.

LSD goes in tomorrow!! :D

I wonder what this innocuous little button does:

Muahahahaha :)

LSD install hit a snag - my post 2003.5 model has different spline pattern on the half-shafts, so have the older ones on order from Japan.

I have ordered front and rear Figs Engineering sway bar end links, and their diff mounts, and rose jointed caster arm and rear axle carrier bush.

Supplementing that with TRD replacement bushes where ever possible, and some new subframe bushings.

Also have ordered:

HKS 264 VVTi Inlet Cam
HKS 264 Exhaust Cam
HKS S-Type FMIC
Tomei Type-L FPR
HKS Fuel Rail

Along with the other stuff that is readily available/already on order that I will be going for:

GTX3582R Turbo
0.82 A/R V-Band T3 Flanged Turbin Housing
Tial V60 Wastegate
Sinco Steampipe Tubular Manifold w T3 flange
Tial QR Recirc BOV
HKS F-Con V Pro ECU
DeatschWerks DW300 Fuel Pump
Injector Dynamics ID1000 injectors
HKS EVC-6 Boost Controller
Kelford uprated valve springs

Other assorted bits - joiners, cooling lines etc.

Will also do timing belt, water pump, gaskets, valve stem seals etc.

Finally, some pics of new wheels with rear spacer fitted:

Small change to plans - I cancelled the HKS fuel rail, and have ordered 800cc Sard side feed injectors which utilise the OEM fuel rail.

Car booked for round 2 of LSD install this Friday - fingers crossed all is well this time!

Turbine housing and WG sent down to Mike @ Sinco to get downpipe, manifold and intake pipe sorted.

Once that is done, manifold, turbine housing and downpipe will be off to procoat for their ultra high-temp black ceramic coating.

Other good news - HKS have just released V4 of the Fcon V Pro, which has built in VVTi control, and an onboard boost controller - handy!

Oh, and ordered some boring maintenance stuff I thought I should probably do at the same time - engine mounts, fuel filter, water pump, cambelt etc.

%&*$^%#!!!!!

Word of caution - if you have a 2003.5 onwards Aristo DO NOT attempt to install the TRD diff onto it like I have.

My sideshafts arrived, so they attempted to install it again on Friday, only to find the diff casing is in fact different, and the LSD will not work.

Luckily the dealer had a Lexus GS300 loan car they are kindly pillaging the diff casing from so the TRD diff can be installed, and putting my open Aristo diff back on the GS300 - they also had to change the driveshaft flange!

Big thanks to North Shore Toyota for finding a solution for a very annoying problem!

Also, acceleration will be slightly snappier - as GS300 is 3.917 vs 3.769 of the Aristo.

Also had word back from Mike @ Sinco my downpipe, manifold and inlet pipe will be done this week, once I have those it will be off to Procoat to get the downpipe, turbine housing and manifold ceramic coated in the high-temp black stuff.

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Pile of shiny bits from Figs engineering :)

Front Caster Bushings, Rear Carrier Bushings, Front and Rear Sway Bar End Links!

Now some of the good stuff is arriving!

Nice shiny 4" intake pipe with BOV and oil breather recirc (will run catch can inline)

Sinco steampipe tubular manifold with T3 flange and V-Band takeoff for external gate, check out the flange thickness and nice collector design - 10 year no crack guarantee as well!

Garrett 0.82 A/R exhaust housing with T3 inlet and 3" V-Band outlet:

Giant TiAL V60 wastegate - holy crap this thing is huuuuge!

3" downpipe V-Banded at both ends, with 02 bung and wastegate inlet:

Wastegate return - this thing is bigger than most people's exhaust diameter!!

Will send the turbine housing, downpipe, wastegate return and manifold off to ProCoat next week to get ceramic coated in the good black stuff.

Woohoo, Aristo is back with LSD installed!!

Haven't pushed it, but even driving at low speed rear end feels tighter and more controlled, acceleration has definitely slightly improved with the new diff ratio, and all bearings, seals, and diff and subframe bushes were replaced at the same time!

Om nom nom, ceramic coated goodness!

And a video of exhaust note, just for fun - be interesting to see how much louder it is when I go single...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tverGTDrhLA

Look what arrived today :D

Shiny new Garrett GTX3582R

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Got pretty much the rest of the bits now!!

320LPH Fuel Pump:

Tomei Type-L Fuel Pressure Reg:

Valve Springs:

TiAL recirculated BOV:

Big ass K&N filter:

HKS 264 intake and exhaust cams (only bothered to unwrap one)

HKS S-Type Intercooler (600mm x 301mm x 65mm)

Misc parts, engine + trans mount, water pump, cambelt, fuel filter, gaskets etc.

ECU is only around 10 days away, and my injectors have arrived and are with the tuner.

Getting close!!

Small update -

Couple of quick snaps of the underside with all the bracing and sway bars installed etc.

Got windows tinted yesterday:

Unfortunately also found radiator has some coolant sweat around the bottom tank, so currently tossing up whether to repair, buy a pre-made alloy radiator ($$$) or get a custom one made up in NZ.

Small update:

Have ordered my 3 core Mishimoto radiator, an 11" x 11" x 1-1/2" B&M Transmission Cooler rated at 29200BTU, and an 11" x 8" x 1-1/2" Engine Oil Cooler + Thermostat plate rated at 20500BTU.

Should do the trick for keeping temps respectable.

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Well, the time has come!

Dropping car off at ST-Hitec tomorrow where Soichi will work his magic - installing the turbo and all related gear, resealing the engine, new stem seals, cams etc, and installing and tuning the F-Con V Pro v 4.00!

Hoping to have it back in a week or so Smile

Small Update:

Rose Jointed Caster Arm Bushings:

ECU Plugged in and engine idling - few software issues the HKS is working on.

Slightly bigger update - head has come off, everything is nice and shiny now, head gasket replaced, ARP head studs added, valve stem seals replaced, and the HKS cams will soon have a nice new home:

Another update, went by to Soichi's today, to check out progress - things are coming along well!

Head is installed, manifold and turbo have been bolted up, intercooler has been installed, as have trans cooler and engine oil cooler!

Another update - intake manifold back on with new 850cc injectors and Tomei FPR, and both the engine oil cooler (wing mounted shown) and transmission cooler (front mounted) have been hooked up.

Update time!

Pretty much all the mechanicals are done now apart from catch can and a few odds and ends - and the obvious missing radiator, which I have been promised will be in country next week.

Tuning complete (apart from a slightly screwy off idle stutter which Soichi is looking into)

384kw @ wheels (401kw using SAE correction) at 1.4bar, full boost at under 3500rpm :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWJamw3lqeI

Excuse the quality - the good camera's SD card was full and didnt have time to delete stuff!

Dyno plots:

The red line is at 1.2bar, the green line is at 1.4bar - ignore the later curve and crazy loop on the green line - they had to back off at torque peak as it kept overloading the dyno and throwing up a big red shutdown message - was run in 2nd gear.

Doing some rough calcs and estimating auto trans loss at 17% that equates to 840Nm of torque at 3300rpm and 450kW at 6450RPM

Moar Powah!

421 kw @ wheels at 1.5bar of boost (once again had to back off in mid-range due to over-torquing the dyno)

Aaaand finished product:

Small update -

Finally got my VSC fixed, after throwing parts at it for awhile, turned out all it needed was a zero point calibration for the yaw sensor and steering angle that the dealer did for free, yay!

Also, this arrived :)

Throttle conversion complete, no more drive by wire, throttle response has definitely improved a lot, and the pedal actually has feel to it now. Also have some transmission parts on the way as getting a bit of slip on full boost, getting the valve body nodded for quicker/firmer shifts, uprated friction material and additional clutch packs, also getting the torque converter stall speed increased slightly to 2500 or so.

Hmm, up to date mod list I used for updating my insurance - appears I have done rather a lot!

2003 Toyota Aristo V300

3 litre 2JZ-GTE VVTi w A340E 4 speed automatic

Millenium Silver with Grey Leather.

Engine/Turbo:
HKS 264 Cams
Sard 850cc Injectors
Tomei Fuel Pressure Regulator
Deatschworks 320lph fuel pump
Garrett GTX3582R w .82 A/R Turbine Housing Turbocharger
Sinco Tubular Manifold
Tial 60mm wastegate (plumbed back)
3” Downpipe into 3” exhaust splitting out to dual 2.5”
TiAL QR Recirculated Dump Valve
HKS Type-S Front Mount Intercooler
K&N Cone Filter
HKS Fcon V Pro V4.00 ECU
HDi Boost Controller/Gauge
MC_Bob VSC Defeat Switch
Saikou Michi Oil Catch Can
Mishimoto Triple Core Alloy Radiator
B&M Engine Oil Cooler
Premium Japan Throttle Conversion Kit

Drivetrain:
*Pending* Modified Valve Body for firmer shifts
*Pending* Raybestos Blue Clutches
*Pending* 2500RPM Stall Torque Converter
*Pending* Uprated Intermediate Sprag
TRD 2 Way LSD
B&M Automatic Transmission Cooler (28000BTU)
FIGs Engineering Poly Diff Mounts

Chassis/Suspension:
Front and Rear Cusco Upper Strut Braces
HSD Adjustable Coilovers
Cusco Lower Front Chassis Brace
6 Link Rear Subframe Bracing
Full TRD Bushing Replacement w FIGs rose jointed caster arm and rear knuckle bushings
17MM Front Roll Centre Adapters
Cusco Sway Bars with FIGs adjustable end links
Rear 15mm Wheel Adapters

Brakes:
Znoelli Slotted Rotors
Znoelli Semi-Metallic Pads

Wheels/Tyres:
19x9.5” BBS LM Replicas
245x35/19 Neuton NT5000

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Trans parts should be arriving this week - getting valve body re-programmed for quicker shifts to eliminate slip and more line pressure for better clamping, Kolene steels, and replacing clutches with Raybestos Blues (and adding more plates where possible), getting uprated Borg-Warner intermediate sprag (thought about getting the ATF billet one, but couldn't really justify the cost in the end)

Should be easily able to withstand whatever I throw at it after this - as is, it is fine in gear, just sloppy on WOT redline shifts - slips, bounces off limiter and then lazily shifts into next gear. Will definitely be cool having snappier shifts as well.

yakuza

Post by yakuza »

Awesome read. I love the level of detail and hard work that has gone into this especially with the LSD, luck also helps. Nice to see it in real yesterday. Good luck. See you again !!!
dailydrivenJZX

Mob. 0211015933

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

This car is sick... Luv it!

WATDA

Post by WATDA »

Awesome huge write up!! Love the way only top quality engine parts have been used. I bet it must be awesome to drive!!