My 2003 JZS161 Single Turbo Aristo

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
EVLC36

Re: My 2003 JZS161 Single Turbo Aristo

Post by EVLC36 »

OK, update time!

Have ordered one of these to add closed loop to my F-Con ECU:

An Innovate LC-2 which has pretty much just been released, from what I can see it has extremely good response time, and is very accurate - ideal since it will be controlling my off boost fuelling!!

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc2.php

At the same time am going to get a re-tune and look to bump up boost a little more, and increase redline to 7500rpm - car is still making power with no tapering at current redline, will see if I can get to 450kw @ wheels!

I have also bought an HKS CAMP2 which is on it's way from Japan.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/usa/categories/Pid=3470.html

A system that utilises my standard TV screen in the dash for monitoring of all useful parameters from either the OBD port, my F-Con ECU, or external sensors.

Of most interest is boost, trans temp, engine oil temp and pressure, exhaust gas temp, and intake temp.

Can also monitor all sorts of other things such as timing, water temp, throttle position, injector timing, calculated power, fuel economy etc.

And finally, have got a Fujitsubo exhaust on the way as well - a Legalis Super R, used, but good condition, 3" splitting to dual 3" with 4.5" rolled tips - minimal bends, but quiet and very well made.

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

I'm loving the direction this build is going in.

Just out of curiousity, what is it like on petrol?

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Averages around 18.5l/100km - am hoping this will improve when I add closed loop for cruise.

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

OK, update time!

The Innovate LC-2 wideband is installed and providing feedback to the F-Con for closed loop operation.

Redline has been increased to 7500RPM, power peaks at around 6800RPM, but stays fairly flat until 7200RPM or so where it starts tailing off.

CAMP2 has arrived, and after doing some testing (used from Yahoo JP Auctions as HKS no longer sells new) I properly installed it yesterday, I bought an RCA cable from Japan to hook into the EMV unit in the boot and ran the cable up into the centre console, I also grabbed one of the pre-made cables from Yahoo Japan to stop the TV picture turning off when the parking brake is released - as kind of need it to work in motion!! While I was there I also swapped to a better band expander, as the one I had didn't work properly in the afternoons for my favourite station - weird I know!

So CAMP 2 is all nicely installed now, I have the readings from the OBD2 port, still need to install the I/F unit to get my EGT, Boost, Engine Oil Temp and Pressure, and ATF Temp - will probably leave that for the pros, I can manage the boost fine, but not sure I trust myself tapping oil feeds for the sensor placement!

The power readout is freakishly accurate - not sure how it calculates it, but when I set compensation to 100 (the default) it reads 485kW @ engine which is pretty much spot on for 421kW @ wheels - ignore the 685kW on the display, was playing around, and high intake temps were due to photos being taken after engine had been switched off and was heat-soaked.

Unfortunately there was one small snag - I cannot plug it into my F-Con as I would have liked, as the v4.0 doesn't appear to have the RJ11 option port no big deal, but means I will have to keep my external A/F gauge instead of the F-Con piping the data through to the LCD screen.

Pics:

Also picked up some new brakes - LS400/Celsior 4 piston calipers, will be running EBC RedStuff pads with them and OEM 315x28mm discs.

Exhaust should arrive sometime this month all going well - on the container from Japan.

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Quick update - today's project, mounting A/F gauge in the ashtray!

WATDA

Post by WATDA »

Really digging this! That display is so baller

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Fujitsubo Legalis Super R exhaust has arrived from Japan and been installed - very pleased!

Much quieter, much nicer tone, with larger bore and gentle bends for high flow.

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Sooooo, turns out the Fujitsubo exhaust sucks arse for flow - although the piping is 3" all the way thru, turns out that all the resonators and mufflers neck down to under 2.5" - this is how the exhaust achieves its low noise.

This actually culminated in a 25kw power loss at the top end once I go past 1.2bar - obviously this is a less than ideal outcome, so new plan.

Am going to go big and get a new 3.5" down pipe made up, and a new exhaust with 3.5" mid pipe, splitting to dual 3" with high flow mufflers and resonators that do not neck down!!

In addition, seriously considering going 1.06 exhaust housing from my existing .82 to improve top end, and smooth the boost response a bit - is quite on/off as it is.

xMRWHIPPIEx

Post by xMRWHIPPIEx »

this has been a damn good read man!

how are you finding the TRD 2-way lsd? around town etc.

i'm looking at getting one for my x90 Cresta.
Jack of not much, master of fuck all

EVLC36

Post by EVLC36 »

Really good for town driving, no noise to speak of, and will only hop very slightly on polished concrete.

When you need it, works very well, traction is epic now even with all the power it has.

Highly recommended.