Started up sweet, nearly there :)

JZX91 1JZGTE マークⅡ - Dori project
UZZ30 1UZFE ソアラ - Whale Rider
C83A 4G63T ミラージュ - Lawn Ornament

PowderJZX

Re: Rah - JZX91

Post by PowderJZX »

Love it!
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
Torque is how far you take the wall with you."

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Ok got a bit more time now so I thought i'd type some words :lol:

So yeah as you can see, I picked up an R154 conversion package. Got it about a month ago and it's been sitting around while I collected a few more bits. The clutch was pretty average, probably would've been alright for dailying but this car is gonna get some abuse so I thought it would be silly not to upgrade. Did some shopping around and discovered that the Exedy range for our cars is ridiculously overpriced. Even with a hookup the lowest I could get for a 5 puk kit was around $850ish... while the equivalent kit for a Nissan is around $500 :| So ended up going custom, got the standard pressure plate uprated to 3470lbs and a custom 6 puk with a sprung centre, cost me $650... muuuuch better!

Did a bit more shopping last week, new ARP flywheel bolts, spigot bearing, rear main seal (which I didn't end up using, if anyone wants one?), TRD knob and some MT90. With that, my list was complete, so got together with a few of the boys over the weekend and we got stuck into the swap.

We started at 9ish Saturday morning, slushbox was out by 11:30. Auto tunnel cut out, flywheel, clutch assy, pedal box and gearbox fitted up by 4pm. Chucked fluid in it, bled the clutch, bridged the neutral start and she fired right up. Everything mechanical done and dusted by 5pm, so we called it a day.

Back at it 10am the next day, mate welded in the manual tunnel which I got with the conversion kit, sealed it all up, looks factory as! Redid the wiring to get reverse lights and powered up 2nd gear on auto ecu. Test drive at about 1pm, drove bloody good! So refitted all interior and chucked the kit back on, job done by 4:30

Thought the gearbox felt a bit clunky at first but either i've gotten used to it or it's improved cause it shifts like a hot knife through butter now, no crunches or grinds at all, very solid feeling box. The car just feels so much more alive! Power delivery has always felt really smooth and soft with the auto, it's alot more direct now.

And I washed the car for the first time in ages, photo just cause...

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

Looks mint! curious how strong a 2jz NA pulls with a proper gearbox... must be pretty torquey as it is

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Yeah man, it actually goes quite good! So much better in manual form. It doesn't really have a whole lot of peak power but has buckets of torque on tap from about 1500rpm. Feels like I'm forever waiting for a turbo to spool up though :lol:

ryanfels

Post by ryanfels »

Why didnt you change the rear seal? That would have been a given for me, even if it did look in good nick

PSIBRG

Post by PSIBRG »

Previous owner replaced it not long ago. Always had a leak coming from the trans so he assumed it was cause he didn't lube the seal up when it was installed, but turns out it was the trans seal leaking, as well as rocker cover gaskets leaking into the trans housing because the top 3 bellhousing bolts were missing in action :lol:

murdoko

Post by murdoko »

PSIBRG wrote:Yeah man, it actually goes quite good! So much better in manual form. It doesn't really have a whole lot of peak power but has buckets of torque on tap from about 1500rpm. Feels like I'm forever waiting for a turbo to spool up though :lol:
Hmmm does your 2JZ have a distributor? if so, maybe set it to advance timing, or move the cambelt by 1 or 2 teeth... then shave the head by a few mm to increase compression... that should fix your top end power :D

Looonie

Post by Looonie »

PSIBRG wrote:Previous owner replaced it not long ago. Always had a leak coming from the trans so he assumed it was cause he didn't lube the seal up when it was installed, but turns out it was the trans seal leaking, as well as rocker cover gaskets leaking into the trans housing because the top 3 bellhousing bolts were missing in action :lol:
Heh no shit... good to know :D

Top bellhousing bolts are entirely optional... usually optioned by people with midget hands :D