Dom's JZX100

Area for JZX NZ members to show off their rides
Alex

Re: Dom's JZX100

Post by Alex »

nice bro! cars looking great also..
loving what you've done, :) now enjoy it!

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

dom wrote:Raced down at Meremere today, ran a 13.80 @ 105mph. For some reason its developed a misfire in the top of 2nd and 3rd so need to sort that out and also get my launches sorted then i'll hopefully be able to crack some mid 13s.
when you nut out your missfire pm me and let me know what you issue is.............i have tthe same issue and have been through everything

coils
plugs new and old
plug gap from 0.8 to 0.6mm
injectors
fuel pump
alternator dropping voltage

only thing i havent tried yet is the ignitor or checked the ecu for leaking caps ( have done this months ago but not recently )

is super gutting

but car is looking sweet dom, and those times are pretty good

oh also do you have your old auto selector gear lever? i needone for something else i have on teh go
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

could be boost/fuel cut? mine sometimes does it at the top of longer gears

dom

Post by dom »

Definately wasn't boost cut, it would splutter and misfire till I changed gear, then happen again at the top of next. I didn't actually hit boostcut at all which I was surprised about. Think I solved it though, I swapped the iridium plugs out and just put in regular NGK BKR6E gapped at 0.8mm and it seems to have fixed it for now. Although I'm unsure, cause the misfire might just happen when the car is hot which it wasn't really when I test drove it, so could be coils overheating or something but I will wait and see.

Most of my runs were low 14s, but must have had a semi decent launch on that 13.8 run.

Jarred- yep still got the auto selector kicking around somewhere, I'll have rummage for you

FLAWLES

Post by FLAWLES »

legend

yea mine also does it when its hot............mmm do the 1jzgtes have a intake temp sender?
i must find out and check
curb |kərb| kerb
noun
1 a stone or concrete edging to a street or path.
2 a check or restraint on something
3 a concrete construction used to help rotate your car
4 a tempting shortcut

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

interesting about the iridium plugs - i had the same problem with my 2j, it hated on expensive iridium plugs, but swapping to cheap regular plugs and its smooth as shit.

my mates at Slipway when they were all running 1UZ's, had the same problem also. fancy plugs fucked the car despite tuning on the links etc. swap to old crap plugs and suddenly, runs like new.

fuck iridium its a scam.

ryanfels

Post by ryanfels »

Mine came with flash iridiums from Japan and i havent changed them as im yet to have a reason to. Shes running like a bute! (i better start her tonight after sitting for 2 months and see if they are still sweet lol)

dom

Post by dom »

Yeah I think it comes down to the gap size as well though, from my research when you run higher boost you need to have less gap otherwise the added boost can blow the spark out. Chaser seems to be doing about 14-15psi these days and my iridums were gapped at 1.1mm. I read somewhere you shouldn't regap iridium plugs or they get damaged or something. But yeah it hasn't missed a beat since putting in NGK BKR6E with standard 0.8mm gap.

Also gonna modify the top engine cover so it breathes better cause it could also have been a case of overheating coils, not sure though.

Alex

Post by Alex »

yeah those fancy plugs are a scam... my old tuner always just used the cheapest copper plugs, gapped perfectly,
you just change them abit more often.. but they run perfect. and only cost like 5 dollars each :D

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

agreed with above - NA gaps are usually above 1mm - boost gaps usually .6 to .8 - 1.1mm gap on boost seems too much unless your whole ignition/coil setup is boosted as well to create the energy to jump the gap under load

and iridiums definitely say not to try to regap them. a handful of $5 plugs cant be beat - i remember sitting on the floor of my old garage with feeler gauges manually gapping the plugs for my boosted civic in 0.02 increments to get to the point where they were running reliably under boost lol. good times.