Alex

Re: Soon to be boso Gx71

Post by Alex »

that tips a pitstop special rofl

Bosozoku_GX71

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

Alex wrote:that tips a pitstop special rofl
Meh, not fussed, I like it, sounds sick, and it's exactly what I asked for so who cares.
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71

Unstable

Post by Unstable »

Bosozoku_GX71 wrote:
Alex wrote:that tips a pitstop special rofl
Meh, not fussed, I like it, sounds sick, and it's exactly what I asked for so who cares.

exactly what he ask for, soooo what else am i sposed to do?

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

only reason the exhaust looks arse is because your angles are wrong.

you dont need money to lower these cars - halve the rear bumpstop (which is 5" long and totally unnecessary), fit a standard ae86 shock (which is 6cm shorter) and then fit any cut down rear spring and you will drop the rear properly whilst still having tons of travel

fronts just need slip on $80 coilover sleeves (just slide them on to sit on the factory spring perch) and platforms and you can get another 2" off the front to match the rears. and youre done. no cutting, anything necessary, just replace stock front spring with a slip on sleeve and smaller spring. issues with wof? simply replace the stock spring - zero drama

picture as an example

easiest cars in the world to modify with little to no money.

Bosozoku_GX71

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

lofreq wrote:only reason the exhaust looks arse is because your angles are wrong.

Na i like the straight join, i reacon that curve looks shit. And link that shit, where can i buy those coilover sleeves and il do it, the rears only have 1 coil cut off them at the moment anyway.
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71

Unstable

Post by Unstable »

fuck your face nige! your old car only had one cut!!

Bosozoku_GX71

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

Unstable wrote:fuck your face nige! your old car only had one cut!!
I was guna get two like nigel had but figured id just get one big fuck off pipe to start with, can always do it again later
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71

Bosozoku_GX71

Post by Bosozoku_GX71 »

lofreq wrote:
Same cut as mine, but your talking about it like coming out from the silencer already on an upward angle.
JZ = engine code
X = Chassis
71 = Series

therefore... jzx71

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

Stocks Suspension - mt wellington. all they need is the outer diameter of your front strut housings, so they can give you a slide on sleeve that fits perfectly. once it slides on it is secured with 3 grub screws that clamp it onto the strut housing

http://www.georgestock.co.nz/Contact-Us.asp

then you can use any coilover spring you want (of the appropriate diameter, usually 80mm springs) in combination with the sleeves.

as for the exhaust angles, yeah not saying anything is wrong with it, but my car had the tips angled up about 55degrees from horizontal, tucked as close to the body and bumper as possible, and ending around bumper height. so only one join was necessary, since the tips werent too long, they didnt protrude back too far. JArrods here is angled almost 80degrees directly upward, so to go straight up like that you end up with this straight pipe out from under the car then a sudden 90 kick up, which to me looks weird, because i dont think ive ever seen any boso pipes exit the vehicles at 80/90degrees up - they all angle up between 50-70degrees at the most.

if jarrod angled the pipe at the current length to 50 degrees, the tip would end up probaby 2 foot behind the rear bumper line, it would make the whole car 2ft longer, and wouldnt be allowed on the street at all. we are talking about balancing this "look" with actual usability on NZ roads - of course if you wanted to model a boso exhaust exactly like in japan, you would be prosecuted immediately here. so im not talking about copying the look exctly as well because thats a moot argument

you might think its pedantic arguing degrees of angle but it isnt, its all the visual perspective of the look and one wrong angle makes the whole thing look different

it took me 3 tries to get the angle right, and it was only achieved by visually mocking it up a hundred times before final welding

anyway not trying to tell u what to do, i was just trying to explain the reason and physics behind why something might look "arse" or not, because it all comes down to natural visual flow of lines and angles, lengths and breadths. its all a abalance and if you upset one point then everything else loses its flow, so when the eye casts over it, you dont need to have a trained eye for your brain to realise if something seems "off"

lofreq

Post by lofreq »

duno if im explaining it very well. hard to get an idea unless you looked at the cars side by side i guess

i used 2 pipes because 1 pipe was too thin and was out of balance with the rest of the rear end of the car. i didnt want it to look like a dweeby thin peashooter, because the length of the extension ends up emphasising the skinnyness of the single pipe

heres another view showing the angle of the pipe - my join was deep UNDER the bumper and then the angle hugs as close to the body and bumper as possible... the tips end about bumper height and are already almost 1ft back past bumper line

if that pipe was extended as long as jarrods, it would end up miles behind the car! lol. from the top of the bootlid back it would prpbably be about 3ft or more behind the car. which is crazy!! yes perfect for true boso, but crazy for NZ daily wof and reg'd car!!

so to get the long pipe to work, you need to angle more steeply, which is what youve done, but that means you cant make the join tuck in under the bumper as far as i did, or the pipe would go thru the bumper! so you end up extending the pipe from the muffler straight out, which in turn highlights the visually odd 80degree join.

so to get the length you have while also not requiring that sudden 80deg join, i was suggesting 2 joins, to "soften the blow" visually so to speak.

but of course if you like the sharp join, then stick with it! :D