Tomei M8280 Turbo uprated

Moderator: PowderJZX

VR25

Tomei M8280 Turbo uprated

Post by VR25 »

For sale is a Tomei M8280 with Tomei Dump Housing . Although only 8 months old , this turbo has just been rebuilt by Brendan Dunker ( Nite Parts , Convert Ltd ) using the best quality thrust bearings etc . i'm sure you all know his work is the best . This Turbo is now better than it was when new . i'm upgrading to a larger Garrett so this is surplus to my requirements . Turbo is still on car , but will be removed immediately when sold . Can also supply with factory exhaust manifold for a little xtra .
To date , only 100km done on it .

$2000.00

ch4sernz

Re: Tomei M8280 Turbo uprated

Post by ch4sernz »

Had this only done 100km at fail point?
Did Brendan give any insight into cause?
How do
Ones this respond on the 1.5? Bring back some of the response?

VR25

Post by VR25 »

The Turbo had done around 3000kms to the point where we dismantled the engine for a 1.5 upgrade . There is a lot of opinion out there why some of the M8280's are failing with short k's on them , but it appears to be with the ones manufactured mid 2013 ish .
The issue with the Turbos is the material that the thrust plates are manufactured from , just what to me was a bit of Brass plate . It appears they don't last at that well running high boost for long periods , eg track racing .The most robust solution is to replace the thrust plates and bearings with GReddy TD06 20G components which will guarantee longevity of the unit .
The car is still in run phase at the moment , so can tell exactly at this point how well it will perform past 6000rpm , but I can say that it starts spooling well under 3000 rpm and hitting my run in boost setting of .8 at around 3400rpm. As i can only expect around 380 rwkw with this setup , and my goal is 450 + with the new garret , it needs to go to a new home .
On a 1J with 264 cams you can easily expect 310kw + with this .

ch4sernz

Post by ch4sernz »

Thanks for that
Good information to have.
A lot of people considered 1.5 to offset the lag after buying the tomeis.

VR25

Post by VR25 »

ch4sernz wrote:Thanks for that
Good information to have.
A lot of people considered 1.5 to offset the lag after buying the tomeis.
There is practically no lag at all , just jandal it and it's on boost . It hasn't been tuned yet , still running of the 1j setup with just 1/2 an hour of timing adjustment work and getting idle done to date . Just doing a 500k semi run in them its off to CDM while I get the new gear sorted out .

ch4sernz

Post by ch4sernz »

When you say practically no lag at all that is with the 1.5?
As everything I have seen and everyone I have spoken to has been disappointed with the lag the tomei provides on the 1j