LV Cert/Ride Height

General discussion

Moderator: PowderJZX

gadget

LV Cert/Ride Height

Post by gadget »

Hey Guys,

Have had to get the suspension cert'd on the Aristo on entry to the country due to being Toms adjustable.

I've not had access to the car yet (it's in Auckland, I'm.... not), as such it's been certified as it arrived. Although the ride height has been dropped from factory, it's potentially not quite a low as I'd like it.

Anyone have any ideas on what's involved in reducing the ride height (cert-wise)? Do I need to pay for a whole new inspection/cert process, or is there a cheaper 're-inspection' type cert for minor changes?

Hopefully, 10 weeks after purchasing, I might actually get my hands on this car next week :D

Cheers,
Ben.

Tofu

Re: LV Cert/Ride Height

Post by Tofu »

Hey Ben,
you will need to go through the cert process again as i certed mine once and had to redo it when i fitted my coilovers :/

Alex

Post by Alex »

yup, pretty sure.. unless its within the +/- 5%? of the ride height its certed for then you have to get another money ticket.. oops i mean cert

Tofu

Post by Tofu »

yep, +/- 5% is the tolerance.
not too sure if the JZS161 has the same problem or not as the JZX100 but when you slam them they do run into cert issues as the front upper arms hit the chassis :( - when certing mine I failed as the front was too low so I had to raise it.

gadget

Post by gadget »

Cheers guys. I suspected as much. I got a (very average) pic of the cert plate (it arrived yesterday) and it says
LV Cert Plate wrote:350mm F/360mm R + or - 5%
So +/- 5%, as you guys said. Guess I'll just need to bite the bullet and do the re-cert if I go lower than that 5%!

Anyone else have a cert'd lowered Aristo? What are the measurements you have?

They also stuck the wheels on it (18x8/18x9), does that mean I need to re-cert if I change the wheels (which don't normally require a cert)?

Cheers,
Ben.

dom

Post by dom »

Just to add to the discussion,

1) If a car is already certed for adjustable suspension, but certed at messurements in which the lowest structural point of the car is still greater than the normal 100mm limit, can said car further be lowered to that 100mm limit and still be legal?

2) If a car comes out with factory 16" wheels, which means you can legally run wheels up to 18" (2" larger without needing a cert) and car is currently certed with 19" wheels, can said car run 18" wheels without needing a re-cert as it is within the normal legal limit?

Edit:

2) = re-cert
Last edited by dom on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoriBippu

Post by DoriBippu »

dom wrote:Just to add to the discussion,

1) If a car is already certed for adjustable suspension, but certed at messurements in which the lowest structural point of the car is still greater than the normal 100mm limit, can said car further be lowered to that 100mm limit and still be legal?

2) If a car comes out with factory 16" wheels, which means you can legally run wheels up to 18" (2" larger without needing a cert) and car is currently certed with 19" wheels, can said car run 18" wheels without needing a re-cert as it is within the normal legal limit?

1] No. Its the cert height + or -5% OR Back on standard suspension with lowering springs down to 100mm from a structural point. You can lower the adjustables, but a re-cert would be required.

2] From my undertstanding, its the exact certed size and measurements of wheel, or otherwise the standard limitations apply.
Eg, + or - 2 inches diamater, 5% rolling circumfence or a 25mm track increase from stock.

From memory anyway.

Edit: You were too quick for me, Dom!
Memory wasnt bad there ;)
2000 JZX110 Mark2 I-RV

dom

Post by dom »

So from my research this afternoon = A certed car cant bave anything modified which is listed on the cert plate without a re-cert.

gadget

Post by gadget »

dom wrote:So from my research this afternoon = A certed car cant bave anything modified which is listed on the cert plate without a re-cert.
Cheers for the info - it does acutally make sense that the car is certed as a unit rather than just the specific part. Just a PITA that I had to get it cert'd at the height from Japan before I get to play with it!

Cheers,
Ben.

DoriBippu

Post by DoriBippu »

Yeah, pretty much exactly it.

They are slowly but surely killing the joy :(

I think i heard that LVVA are working on a process which is cheaper to have a re-cert done for changes to the modifications made. Hope they get it through soon.
2000 JZX110 Mark2 I-RV